VISIONS OF INDEPENDENCE Employee Reviews

unstable
Direct Support Worker (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2019
I haven't been getting any shifts for a while. Not dependable for income when casual. Need to drive and have a vehicle to move up.
Poor communication.
wonderful work environment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 April 2019
I learned a lot, received training, and formed a good networking circle.
Working with people with intellectual and physical disabilities was not only fulfilling, it was a wonderful experience. Learning that our Province has an accessibility by law opened my eyes to a lot.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
poor management
I have worked with the company since 2006. It is the most rewarding job I have been with.
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 March 2019
All the information I wrote for Women Helping Women should pertain to this job description. A typical day at work is learning new things everyday. Meeting new people. Working with my coworkers and helping the people I support. Management skills as in scheduling shifts, payroll, making appointments and taking them. I work with people of all diverse backgrounds and cultures.The hardest part of my job is leaving at the end of the day! The most enjoyable part of my job is making the people I support happy and comfortable in their home.
Pros
Taking the people I support on outings and seeing that they are happy.
Cons
After a long day of work, i feel satisfied.
Management is awesome
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB28 January 2019
Management is awesome but... they don't seem to take people being late for their shifts very seriously. It is quite annoying when you're there for an extra half hour or an hour after a night or 12 hour shift.
Great people
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB17 January 2019
Great understanding of family values, allowances made if enough notice given. Very accommodating to staff for extra hours and switching shifts if a request is made. The opportunities to grow and experience new things and ideas almost daily. You get to work with the most amazing people who wll impact your life forever.
Pros
Flexibility when needed, family orientated
Cons
Wages will increase with time
Rewarding careers with outstanding connections
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB17 January 2019
My career with VOI began 7 years ago and within those 7 years I have made wonderful and supportive connections with management, coworkers, and the individuals recieving support.
In terms of the job, the impact you have on someone’s life is by far the greatest reward. Great work benefits.
Its not just a job, it’s a support network of people who care about you, and your wellbeing.
Great place to work.
Pros
Accommodating, supportive, rewarding career
Cons
Industry wages due to government cuts
A great place to learn
DSP (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB17 January 2019
Visions of Independence is great place to work and the individuals supported there will teach you alot about yourself . VOI management and staff need to be celebrated for their dedication to the people they support . If you want a job where you will grow and become a better human being than VOI is the place to be .
Pros
A place to learn and grow
Great place to work :)
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB16 January 2019
Good place to work very understanding of staffs needs.Management works together as a team. Fun place to work. You have to have a big heart to work at a place like visions. Not anybody can do this sort of work. It makes you feel good knowing that your helping in someone else’s life in a big way.
Pros
Great teamwork
Horrible work place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2019
Not a great place to work. Your over work and under appreciated. Management doesn't help with any issues you may face and doesn't care about the people they support it's just a pay check to them.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Horrible management, not allowed time off
Good if your getting off welfare
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2019
Terrible structure constant demand to work extra hours and guilted if you do not. Senior management doesn't do their job so it falls to house manager which falls to direct staff. Office personnel at very ignorant and you never know who is who. You never told if you do a good job only complained to if you miss something. Unqualified people supervising very little knowledge coming from above. Not enough staff to do anything but senior management pushing yet they don't even know anything. If you have no skills and don't mind working for bad people go on apply. Any self respect you wouldn't work here
Pros
Work a lot if you need
Cons
Senior management office staff and management
Productive at work
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB30 July 2018
worked with clients whom had disabilities, and mentality and behavioral issues, helped with the home cleaning, making meals, giving out medicine, did home inventory and food inventory---cooked meals, took clients out for walks to activities, to Dr..appointments. Participated with the clients on a daily bases. enjoyed working with multipliable culture persons hard part was the communication with management. problem solving and coming up with new ideas for activities.spend time with the clents.
Pros
free meals
Cons
long days
Great place to work but be weary of the management.
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 June 2018
Love helping people so this job has been very rewarding,it’s wonderful being part of a team that assist individuals live in a home setting and be as independent as possible while making sure they are safe.
Av’e had the pleasure of working with some wonderful work mates and for that am thankful!
Management however is a different story,like someone mentioned above,there is a lot of politics and gossip and if the management does not like you then you are in trouble,it’s unfortunate because they do do a great job with the residents.It has been like that for the years I have worked but hope this will change.
Pros
Wonderful work mates
Cons
Management sucks
Unorganized
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB28 May 2018
The salary is good but management is unorganized and unfair. Not very understanding of personal issues, but don't need experience as they train you for the job.
Pros
Salary, paid training
Cons
Unorganized, bad management, not understanding
Very to the book
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB12 February 2017
Visions is very to the book kind of support care. It works for them. Organized and fun. It is a family that I was proud to be a part of. SI's in the company were great.
Great Coworkers and Clients/ Lousy Head Office Management
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Manitoba6 April 2016
It was great to work with supported individuals and direct service providers(staff) The upper management lacked necessary skills required for their jobs, were often chosen based on seniority not on suitability for their positions, did not provide proper training and had poor communication and at times, unprofessional demeanor.
I agree with other former employee who said there was a lot of office politics, gossip and if you didn't have personal friends within upper management they found a way to get rid of you. One residence went through 4 managers in one year and upper management was definitely not able to separate friendship/family from work--alot of nepotism occuring in this company. Such a shame because the company does good work supporting individuals living in the community. My advice is to choose another agency if you wish to work with supported individuals living in the community.
Pros
Learned alot about payroll & budgeting, enjoyed taking individuals on outings.
Cons
Upper management not always professional in their behavior.
encourage them for independent as much as they can.
Direct Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 January 2016
work under pressure
positive attitude
team player
encourage them for independence as much as thay can
activities of daily living
Pros
i always bring my own food
Cons
i stayed if they really need to after approved by manager.
its an alright place to work
Residential Coordinator / Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  winnipeg manitoba23 October 2015
great place to work with individuals with disabilities. they have great hours, and alright pay. the only downside is the office politics and gossip.. its also seems to be becoming more of a family and friends get hired, regardless of peoples qualifications or not. and if your in with the head office your in good standings, but if your not they try to get rid of you. the clients with in voi are amazing individuals and make working there so much fun. if you can keep your work solely on the individuals and don't get mixed in with the gossip its a good place to work.
Pros
all meals are eaten with the clients, creating/finding fun activities everyone will enjoy
Cons
either your friends with head office or they try to get rid of you
Fast paced workplace with great staff and clients
Residential Manager and Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 December 2013
Unpredictable and challenging, but made my days interesting at work. I had varying responsibilities, which included; scheduling, payroll, doing groceries, training staff, participating in second interviews, budgeting funds for clients and the home, facilitating monthly staff meetings, supporting the clients through daily routines; basically ensuring that the home run according to company standards.

I learned to be patient, prioritize and delegate duties, be team player, and lead by example.

Management: I was the middle man between upper management and staff in the home. This put me sometimes in an awkward position, but it was part of the job.

Co-workers: Most of them I learned from and could rely upon.

Hardest: Resigning from my position as Residential Manager, because it was hard to juggle both school and this job. Mostly saying goodbye to the clients and staff

Enjoyable: Seeing growth in the clients and staff members
Pros
fast paced environment and the clients
Cons
unpredictable (long hours)
Learning experience that me want this as a career
Residental Support Work (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 September 2012
At work, I start off by preparing dinner, and assisted the supported individuals with eating, and encouraging independence. I have realized that I really enjoy helping people and making a difference in their lives. I feel that the management is over worked, and do not have enough time to help their employees or are able to see which staff do not have the passion for the job. Some of the staff fall asleep on shift, and rely on the other staff to do all the work. I quite enjoy the look on the supported individuals faces when I come in to work, and making it fun. I love seeing them happy, and doing everything I can to make life as enjoyable as possible
Pros
free meals, learning experience
Cons
gossip, lack of care