Vision Nursing Home Employee Reviews

Minimal time there
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON18 March 2019
I did not work there long enough to establish an effective opinion on working within this company. The short time I was there, I just managed to learn the basic ins and outs of each shift.
Hard work, but appreciated
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON7 August 2018
At the end of the day, being a dietary aide here was rewarding. It was not the best place to work while struggling with mental health issues. However, everyone supported each other and helped out where they could.

I wish that they had been able to offer more training on specific floors (there are five sections total). It's not so bad if you have a regular shift, but if you're a casual worker you get thrown all over the place. If you don't know the residents that you're serving and what they like, there's no possible way to get everything done in time. Unfortunately, you can't leave until you're done, and you're not paid for the extra time.

Management was absolutely wonderful, always very friendly and courteous and genuinely interested in your well being, while maintaining a professional attitude.

There tends to be a lot of dramatic personalities in the kitchen, but as long as you don't gossip and work hard, everyone likes you.

They do warn you not to get attached to the residents, and no matter how hard you try, you will get attached, and you will have sad days when they pass away.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
can be stressful
Vision
Practical Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON26 June 2018
I loved every minute of my placement here. The staff were amazing and the residents were thoroughly and truly cared for. The staff really enjoy their job and you can tell. I learned so much from my time there, the hardest part was leaving.
great place to work
Étudiant (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 February 2018
I was pleased to work here for a few years. very welcoming staff members, management was able to offer a flexible work schedule. I had few bad days working here
Recreation Therapist Internship
Rec Therapy, Clinical Internship (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON5 February 2018
This Internship position as part of the Therapeutic Recreation post-graduate program gave invaluable experience working as a unit within care team planning. There was ample opportunity for not only activities facilitation but also program development and one to one recreation assessment and exploration with residents plus academic assignments.
Pros
Hands on Experience
Cons
Great experience of becoming a PSW
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON24 January 2018
Very upbeat and fast-paced working environment. Lot's of contact (physically and emotionally) with the elderly population. Gained verbal and non-verbal communication skills within specific aggregate.
Nursing student
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON12 December 2017
This was a part of my clinical rotation and I loved it. the staff works well with each other and the care provided is great. The team runs smoothly and is organized.
Nice place to work
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON10 October 2017
Nice place to work, I have learned so much from working with fellow nurses, great nursing team. Director of Care is approachable and listens to concerns. She has an open door policy. The hardest part of the job is working short staffed and the patient to staff ratio. There simply is not enough time in a shift to truly get to know your patients. Majority of the shift is handing medication out to over 30 residents at breakfast, lunch dinner and bedtime plus completing treatments.
Pros
Organized
Cons
Staff Shortages, patient to staff ratios
nice staff
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON4 October 2017
the staff and management at vision were amazing. I enjoyed doing placement there because everyone helped me out a lot and didn't make me feel new. Also the things they set up for the residents were also amazing
Decent to work at
PCW (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON14 August 2017
Worked as a PCW, several call in's allowed for plenty of hours, almost too many hours at times. Staff are pleasant, but some not welcoming and do not want to help out a new team member when needed. Management was great during my time there. Never heard complaints from families.
was an enjoyable place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON16 December 2016
I spent time with the elderly residents, feeding them, going for walks or just sitting and talking. I learned that what they mostly needed was to feel like someone cared.
Productive and thriving environment
Personal support worker student (Former Employee) –  sarnia6 December 2016
I worked at vision nursing home as a placement for my PSW certification through lambton college. It was a good experience educationally and the residents were amazing to get to know and help. Unfortunately PSW work is hard when it comes down to getting to know the residents and building an attachment to them when realistically they are there until they pass away. Having a resident pass away and having to see the body was personally one of the worst things I have ever gone through, but aside from that, it was a great work experience.
Clean family friendly
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON18 October 2016
This nursing home was my home for 3 years and I enjoyed interacting with the residents and family members that visited every day. I learned great time management and supervisory skills.
Student
Laundry Aide (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON26 August 2016
I worked here as a high school student, and loved my job, this is actually what opened up my eyes into the Health Care Field.

-i got to learn a lot of neat things, and they have fallowed with me.
-i loved the challenges, experiences, and making residence smile.
-i met a lot of amazing nurses,doctors, and families.
Pros
Experience
CO-OP At Vision Nursing Home
CO-OP Position (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON8 June 2016
A typical day at work was always either busy or slow, never really anything in between.

what i learned was the time and patience it takes to deal with elderly that have more trouble understanding or have to have more patience.

i overall managed to keep calm in a setting that may sometimes be a little overwhelming.

my co-workers that i was placed with were alright, some were kinder than others, but in the end it all worked out fine.

the hardest part of the job was dealing with elderly that had there tantrums, or were more needed than others.

the most enjoyable part of the job was putting smiles on all their faces. walking in knowing you will leave them happy and smiling always makes me feel amazing.
Pros
Always smiling on the job
Cons
Sometimes Stressful
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON29 July 2015
I set tables for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I worked well with the elders and fed them on days family members couldn't make it or they were left to eat alone. I cleaned the tables, floors, dishes and was always done what was told of me and made sure everyone was satisfied.
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Volunteered for a short period of time
Nursing Home Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON16 March 2014
I only volunteered here for high school but I did enjoy it. I helped with activities for the elderly. Nothing much more to it.
Pros
helping others
Cons
Great way to intereact with elders.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON28 August 2013
Responsible for visiting residents, feeding residents, serving food, and cleaning up.
Enjoyable work place
Student (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON28 June 2013
• Co-workers are friendly and pleasant to work with.
• I learn new things about residents
• I struggle with aiding the residents who are Alzheimer inflicted
• I enjoy cleaning, assisting feeding and serving
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Short hours
productive and fun work place
Personal Support Worker Student (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON5 January 2013
It was a nice experience to have my pre-grad in Vision Nursing Home.I got great chance to imply my theoretical knowledge into practical.Also all staff were so cooperative and friendly.I have enjoyed working in Vision.