VIPKid

3.1Pay & benefits

Found 9 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,672 reviews
bookedbookingteacherteachingclassstudentteachparent

Good while it lasts...

I've really enjoyed my two years at VIPKid, but my schedule has become much-less reliable than before; my ratings are very high and I get very good feedback from clients, however my scheduled hours have taken a nosedive and there seems little you can do about it.

Pros

Choose you own hours

Cons

erratic schedule dependant on variables beyond your control

A pretty good side gig

I’ve worked for VIP for just under a year. It was slow at the start getting students but things started picking up as my time continued. You definitely have to be an entertainer and a teacher with this job. You are going against and competing with literally thousands of other teachers. I am a full-time teacher but I was able to make just under $21,000 with this job so I am definitely not complaining. To do this I basically worked 7 days a week for 3 hours a day. That being said the per class amount you get is just so so. Before, they had said that they would re-negotiate your salary after you have taught for one year and only if you met certain requirements (for example, you have to have taught a certain number of classes within the year, you have to have missed no less than three classes within that year, etc). I was told by them that now they do not adjust your salary and what you make on your first day as a base salary will be the same no matter how long or how well you do with them. That is very frustrating. The bottom line is this: if you are a skilled, energetic teacher who doesn’t mind getting up early or staying up late at night then it is a good side job. I would not recommend this as a full-time employment, however.

Pros

Work when you want

Cons

12 hour time difference makes the teaching hours challenging

Insights into VIPKid

• Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Support from manager

Horrible, Slimy Company

VIPKID is ok at best. I am putting one star because they have pulled every teacher into a new "pay schedule," beginning August 2020, and sugar coated the email to imply it was a reward. Literally every teacher has received a pay cut. They change policies without communication. This company is a joke. They removed raises, which were hard to get in the first place and it's ridiculous. Avoid this company.and a slap in the face.

Legit and easy work from home job

VIPKID is a cool and easy job to do from home. The interview was process is lengthy and grueling for me but I now see it was well worth the time. It can be hard to have consistent bookings and a set amount of pay each month but for its flexibility, it is hard to beat. I open my slots and teach when I need to and then I can close etc. The cancellation policy is rough but they've also got a lot of cash incentives and so that's good. Everything has its pros and cons.

Teaching, no guarantee

The selection and interview process was great. The online classroom was great and worked well. The process the become a teacher was supported and understandable. Once you became a teacher however there was no support and they do not provide any help to get classes booked. I reached out multiple times and the only suggestions they made were to open more slots in a standard email with a list of 'tips and tricks' to get bookings. This did not change the situation and after 23days of open slots they still provided no help to match students with new teachers. Do NOT expect a certain amount of teaching or salary per month. It is not guaranteed!

Pros

Good interview process

Cons

NO work gaurantee (at all)

AWFUL company

Probably the worst people I’ve ever dealt with. You can work for them for 40 hours a week for two years and one day you get a stomach bug, no raise. They are heartless when you write in to address an issue. They are very rude and treat their teachers like robots. They are probably *the worst* people that you could ever have to deal with. After working at this company for two years, having perfect attendance and a 5 star rating with the students I can say- I hate this company with all of my being. I hope they go down in flames.

Pros

Great kids

Cons

Too many to list. Just terrible human beings.

I love my job with VIPKID

I teach for VIPKID from NS Canada. Pros: 1. Salary $20 per hour 2. Bonuses for attendance, punctuality, converting trial students to regular students, holiday contests, etc. 3. Flexible schedule that you control 4. User friendly teaching platform 5. Immediate access online support 6. Great company culture- Although I’ve never laid eyes on the head office or other staff, I feel like I’m truly part of a team. 7. Happy students and parents 8. Convenient hours for me Cons: I really do not have anything negative to say about VIPKID.

Never judge a book by its cover...

I worked for VIPKID for a little over 4 months. At first, I was very excited as the company seemed to provide a great experience for both teacher and students. The PowerPoint presentations we used seemed colourful and kid friendly (minus the millions of mistakes and content that did not make any sense). I got to meet some really great students in this time, and I had many regular students booking me every week. You will get a lot of "bad" students too, so be prepared to get frustrated. I hated when I had to wait 15-25 minutes in the classroom for a student to show up, yet if I didn't show up for a legitimate reason, I was penalized. During November and December, I reduced my hours to the minimum because I suffered a pinched nerve and was not well, but I tried to show up to the majority of my classes. By December, I went over the allowed # of cancellations and no-shows, so they cancelled my last 2 classes, and just sent me a letter that I have been terminated. I was unable to write back in fresh desk, so I replied to the email directly to explain my situation, but did not get a response. I at least wanted the chance to say goodbye to my most dedicated student who came a very long way from the very first time he started. This showed me that they do not care for their teachers, but definitely not for their students either. I care about my students success, and I felt so bad when they cancelled my final class with that student. I would have at least said my goodbyes and praised him for his remarkable progress. However,VIPKID likes to make money more than having it's -

Pros

a little extra income, doing what you love most

Cons

not allowed to get sick, terrible policy, uncaring staff, it is a business, not a school

Good pay and support. Flexible hours if you are an early bird!

I have worked for VIPKid for 6 months, and I enjoy it. The lessons are prepared, there are bonuses and fun incentives, and best of all, you get to choose your own schedule. The company has grown fast and there are some growing pains, but management is clearly working hard to remedy the problems. Currently, I work from 4-7:30 every weekday morning and some on the weekends. As an extra job or a full-time gig, it's a good deal. The downside is that there are no benefits and if you are sick, well, you do have to work! Still, I think the positives outweigh the negatives!

Pros

make your own schedule

Cons

must carefully schedule time off and stay healthy!