VIPKid

3.1Pay & benefits

Found 13 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,667 reviews
bookedbookingteacherteachingclassstudentteachparent

Restricted by CCP

Currently restricted by CCP. Trying to launch global platform. New platform may not have staying power. Old compensation reasonable. New compensation just okay. Okay side hustle. Wonderful kids and decent materials.

I cannot recommend

There have been many changes to compensation, reviews of job performance, and work responsibilities over the last year. The company has been affected by recent changes to Chinese law that are expected to eventually make it impossible for non-Chinese teachers to do this type of work. Communication has been very poor.

Insights into VIPKid

Areas for improvement
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

Great place to work from home

I love working for VIPKID. Like every other job, you have to give your 100% if you want to be successful. Don’t take it easy just because it’s a job that you can do from your home. It’s okay to be imperfect at the beginning but show them that you are doing your best and you will get better with practice. They are nice and understanding people. I truly enjoy working at VIPKID.

Pros

You can make your own schedule.

Cons

Unreliable/ don’t have job security/ less pay/ no benefits

Teach English online from the comfort of your house!

Working from home with little-to-no time investment or stress outside of the 1/2 hour booking is wonderful! The hours suck (I live on the west coast) and the company isn't the best communicators. Bookings also fluctuate A LOT and there's no guarantee you fill your schedule. You also have no control over who you work with. But the work is easy and fun, there's no content development, just show up in your PJ's and hang out with kids. For the work, I think the pay is fair.

Pros

Work from home, no prep

Cons

Not exactly an independent contractor position

great job!

If you are good at sales, you will love this job! The salary is good and you can work as per your preference. The kids are awesome and VIPKID supports their teachers well.

Cutting pay for established teachers is discouraging

I have truly enjoyed my years working here. I love my students. However, this week, the company announced an overhaul of the pay structure that cuts my pay significantly. I am a single mom working four jobs. This pay cut will impact my ability to care for my family. I was accustomed to not getting raises - but a pay cut for an employee with stellar reviews is not acceptable. I am discouraged, and I feel the company does not value me as a teacher.

Pros

The students!

Cons

Inability to cancel classes without penalty.

No nonsense company with clear teacher expectations - a relief compared to other online teaching companies -

I've worked for 3 different online ESL teaching companies since Dec.2018 and VIPKid is the only company I still have remained with and will continue to do so. Although the salary is lower than the other two companies I worked for, there is a certainty regarding what is expected of teachers, the supports available to teachers, many opportunities to advance in teaching qualifications, and a payment framework that is consistent, accurate, and on time. This wasn't true with the other two companies I worked for (one company had a confusing management style that created errors in payment, schedules, and teacher expectations. The other company had poor management-teacher and management-parent communication - what they told teachers vs. what they told parents, at times was contradictory - and unfair payment methods that penalized teachers to the extreme extent). For VIPKid, there are many more pluses compared to minuses with VIPKid in comparison to the other two companies I worked for.

Lot's of fun to teach.

You get to teach kids English and have all the material ready for you. It's a winning business model. The kids are usually very fun to teach as well. However, there are next to no benefits like healthcare or dental.

It has Good and Bad Points

Pros: flexible hours, great students to teach, lessons are done for you to maintain consistency. Cons: It took 2 years (4 contracts) to get a $0.50 raise, If you have to cancel a class with less than 24 hours notice without an acceptable reason to them (with proof to back your reason up) they deduct $10 from your paycheque, their incentives are not very motivating and the hours can be brutal after a while.

Official response from VIPKid

14 November 2019
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We regard our students as the heart of our platform, and teachers like you, the lifeblood that keeps it running. If you want to speak with us further, feel free to contact us directly by submitting a ticket.

Great

VIP kid offers a great opportunity to make money from home. It's easy and the children are usually well behaved and eager to learn. However, hours are minimal unless you work at ungodly hours.

Work at home and make up own schedule while teaching ESL

Great opportunity to work at home and make up own schedule while teaching. Very hard to work full-time because the time difference in China. It is hard to advance in this company as well salary wise and position wise. Wish there was an easier way to get a raise.

Pros

Work at home and make own schedule.

Cons

No guarantee hours and almost impossible to advance salary wise and company wise.

LOVE working here

I've worked at VIPKID for 8 months, and I absolutely love it. It did take about a month to fill up my schedule with regular students, but now I'm almost always fully booked. If you have a degree, fast wifi, and no criminal history it's such a score! I'm making about $22 USD/hr with no commute! Once you get comfortable, the prep work is minimal. It's a wake up and show up job that makes double what I would be making working freelance otherwise. LOVE IT!

Pros

Work from home, flexible schedule, excellent pay

Cons

Can take some time to build student-base

The pros far outweigh the cons (for me)

Pros: - High hourly wage - Pick your own hours - Virtually no prep involved - Great students - Meaningful work - Low stress - Work from home (no commuting!) - Work from anywhere there's an internet connection (Going out of town to visit mom & dad for a few days? Work from their place if you like!) Cons: - Early morning work - depending on which time zone you're in, this can range from being so-so to really awful (I'm in EST, which means peak teaching times for me are 6-10 am) - No benefits - Very strict teacher attendance policy (you need to stay healthy) - It may take some time to build a regular student base and become fully booked (the hours are not guaranteed)