VIPKid
Happiness score is 80 out of 100

VIPKid Employee Reviews

Canada67 reviews

Found 67 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,642 reviews

flexible And relaxed once you get students

This was the exact type of job I was looking for when I started here. Decent pay for minimal prep time. Students were great. Quite a bit of autonomy in a structured environment. Overall great.

Almost entirely gone now

When I started with VIPkid in 2019 there was always enough work to satisfy me. I was never able to completely work fulltime but I was happy with part time hours and the students were great. Unfortunately, the company started cutting corners with costs and cutting hours. There was no transparency about the decisions that were being made and how they'd affect teachers. Today it is difficult to find enough hours to get throuh the week.

Insights into VIPKid

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Energizing work tasks
Areas for improvement
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

It's good when you need it.

When there is nothing else and you want to work from home, this is an amazing opportunity to have. I keep renewing my contract even though I haven't taught for over a year just to have the option.

It was good

Not a terrible company to work for but the pay is very low. You get to make your own schedule and essentially be your own manager whoch is great! Only thing I didn't like was their punitive absence policy. If you need to cancel a class with short notice you have to pay $10 when you are only making $7 per class. Also once the new.regulations with China came about and the Global platform was set up there were no students to teach anymore.

fun workshops for CEGreat StudentsWierd hours

I loved teaching the students I had, but hours were from 3 am to 6 am and it was very difficult to achieve a work-life balance. I loved the curriculum and the teaching of it was fun- plenty of tips from experienced teachers.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

Too tired to work well elsewhere

VIPKid offers an easy way to make some extra money. You are your own boss, both good and bad. Must be in China to teach.

Foreign teachers no longer allowed to teach English online. This job is basically non-existent now.Most of the students were amazing (not all. Had some instances of inappropriate behaviour/nudity). You are on your own, both good and bad. HR not beneficial. Learn to pseudo-lawyer (e.g., record your presence at the start - and finish - of every lesson to prove you were truly there for the scheduled time, so you will be paid). Strengthen your skills in various functions while working online.

Pros

Pick your own times (may not get booked), Paid comparatively well (still poor), Casual dress, Wfh, Minimal preparation before work

Cons

Pick your own times... 11/12 hours ahead of your time zone (i.e., zombie hours), May not get booked despite following all advice, HR non-existent. Gaslights if report illegal acts in class (recordings NOT legal, vs. China laws), Must have physical proof of presence if challenged or no pay/score docked

Restricted by CCP

Currently restricted by CCP. Trying to launch global platform. New platform may not have staying power. Old compensation reasonable. New compensation just okay. Okay side hustle. Wonderful kids and decent materials.

Good and flexible hours but class slides a bit...different

Management at VIPKid is on point. There's always updates about every little thing and ways for teachers to earn more money like 'perfect streak' contests, opening PPTs (peak peak timeslots). I just had a problem with some of the teaching material which was to a North American, a bit weird. Just so different from what we're used to growing up in NA but you do get used to it. They do get back right away (within a day) with any issues brought up to support center. Overall, very good experience.

Pros

Fair and caring staff

Cons

Some teaching material didn't make sense

Great company

I loved working for VIPKid. Unfortunately the Chinese government has made huge changes to students access to foreign teachers, so the well is dry right now. They are trying to transition to students globally.

Pros

Great students

Cons

No advancement right now

I cannot recommend

There have been many changes to compensation, reviews of job performance, and work responsibilities over the last year. The company has been affected by recent changes to Chinese law that are expected to eventually make it impossible for non-Chinese teachers to do this type of work. Communication has been very poor.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at VIPKid?

Not worth the hassle

While their pay and platform are one of the best in the industry, the culture of competition and always having to check your pay and screenshot to prove start and end time for classes was just insane. After three years and over 5,000 classes my work/life balance made it not worth it.

Cons

Time change, cancellation policy

This is a fun, flexible job.

The job is a lot of fun. The children are very respectful and work hard. Due to the time difference it is hard to get a lot of hours. I typically work every day for a short time. Parents will book your class for 25 minutes and you go through the premade lesson with the child. The lessons are taught one-on-one. If you need to cancel a class with a child due to sickness or death in the family they will fine you $10 per class.

Pros

Make your own schedule.

Cons

They fine you for canceling a class.

Great company with lots of positives.

VIPKID is a great platform from which to teach from. The pay is competitive, and the classes are plentiful. I hope they continue to bring on new students so that this job can continue for years to come!

Good while it lasts...

I've really enjoyed my two years at VIPKid, but my schedule has become much-less reliable than before; my ratings are very high and I get very good feedback from clients, however my scheduled hours have taken a nosedive and there seems little you can do about it.

Pros

Choose you own hours

Cons

erratic schedule dependant on variables beyond your control

Workplace provides many opportunities

I’m very happy working with VIPKid. There are numerous opportunities to join a professional learning group. The company is fair, responsive and friendly. I am happy working with VIPKid.

Pros

Can work at home Can choose number of hours worked

Cons

Work during night and early morning

Leader in the industry

Good company to work for. Don’t be fooled though, getting booked might be hard at first. So while you think you might get booked and are waiting to get booked you might actually get no bookings. So you have a job but not earning any money...

Pros

Flexible time, lessons are established 1-1 instruction

Cons

Pay can be based on quantity not quality

Great place to work from home

I love working for VIPKID. Like every other job, you have to give your 100% if you want to be successful. Don’t take it easy just because it’s a job that you can do from your home. It’s okay to be imperfect at the beginning but show them that you are doing your best and you will get better with practice. They are nice and understanding people. I truly enjoy working at VIPKID.

Pros

You can make your own schedule.

Cons

Unreliable/ don’t have job security/ less pay/ no benefits

A pretty good side gig

I’ve worked for VIP for just under a year. It was slow at the start getting students but things started picking up as my time continued. You definitely have to be an entertainer and a teacher with this job. You are going against and competing with literally thousands of other teachers. I am a full-time teacher but I was able to make just under $21,000 with this job so I am definitely not complaining. To do this I basically worked 7 days a week for 3 hours a day. That being said the per class amount you get is just so so. Before, they had said that they would re-negotiate your salary after you have taught for one year and only if you met certain requirements (for example, you have to have taught a certain number of classes within the year, you have to have missed no less than three classes within that year, etc). I was told by them that now they do not adjust your salary and what you make on your first day as a base salary will be the same no matter how long or how well you do with them. That is very frustrating. The bottom line is this: if you are a skilled, energetic teacher who doesn’t mind getting up early or staying up late at night then it is a good side job. I would not recommend this as a full-time employment, however.

Pros

Work when you want

Cons

12 hour time difference makes the teaching hours challenging

Flexible work from Home position

Vipkid has been pretty good for me so far. The course work is fairly well presented. The students are the best part of the job, and also the hardest part. It can be both very rewarding and very tiring.

Pros

Make own schedule, work from home.

Cons

Early working hours, have to work a lot.

VIPKID worth it if you get booked regularly

I have been working for VIPKID for 2 years. The most I made was $3800 USD in a month but that is not constant.company does not provide a stable schedule. They say parents pick you, but I would say it's not fully the truth. It's a high energy job, if you are not fun, kids will get bored. You must be a fun,giggly entertainer. Covid hours have been horrible. I try work at 430-9am but realistically I'm getting booked only 6-8am.

Pros

You can make a lot if money if classes are consistent

Cons

Overall it's unstable. You can probably make $700-1000 USD

Teach English online from the comfort of your house!

Working from home with little-to-no time investment or stress outside of the 1/2 hour booking is wonderful! The hours suck (I live on the west coast) and the company isn't the best communicators. Bookings also fluctuate A LOT and there's no guarantee you fill your schedule. You also have no control over who you work with. But the work is easy and fun, there's no content development, just show up in your PJ's and hang out with kids. For the work, I think the pay is fair.

Pros

Work from home, no prep

Cons

Not exactly an independent contractor position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKid. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement