VIPKid logo
VIPKid

VIPKid Employee Reviews

Found 57 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,254 reviews

This is a fun, flexible job.

The job is a lot of fun. The children are very respectful and work hard. Due to the time difference it is hard to get a lot of hours. I typically work every day for a short time. Parents will book your class for 25 minutes and you go through the premade lesson with the child. The lessons are taught one-on-one. If you need to cancel a class with a child due to sickness or death in the family they will fine you $10 per class.

Pros

Make your own schedule.

Cons

They fine you for canceling a class.

Not worth the hassle

While their pay and platform are one of the best in the industry, the culture of competition and always having to check your pay and screenshot to prove start and end time for classes was just insane. After three years and over 5,000 classes my work/life balance made it not worth it.

Cons

Time change, cancellation policy

Great company with lots of positives.

VIPKID is a great platform from which to teach from. The pay is competitive, and the classes are plentiful. I hope they continue to bring on new students so that this job can continue for years to come!

Good while it lasts...

I've really enjoyed my two years at VIPKid, but my schedule has become much-less reliable than before; my ratings are very high and I get very good feedback from clients, however my scheduled hours have taken a nosedive and there seems little you can do about it.

Pros

Choose you own hours

Cons

erratic schedule dependant on variables beyond your control

Workplace provides many opportunities

I’m very happy working with VIPKid. There are numerous opportunities to join a professional learning group. The company is fair, responsive and friendly. I am happy working with VIPKid.

Pros

Can work at home Can choose number of hours worked

Cons

Work during night and early morning

Leader in the industry

Good company to work for. Don’t be fooled though, getting booked might be hard at first. So while you think you might get booked and are waiting to get booked you might actually get no bookings. So you have a job but not earning any money...

Pros

Flexible time, lessons are established 1-1 instruction

Cons

Pay can be based on quantity not quality

Great place to work from home

I love working for VIPKID. Like every other job, you have to give your 100% if you want to be successful. Don’t take it easy just because it’s a job that you can do from your home. It’s okay to be imperfect at the beginning but show them that you are doing your best and you will get better with practice. They are nice and understanding people. I truly enjoy working at VIPKID.

Pros

You can make your own schedule.

Cons

Unreliable/ don’t have job security/ less pay/ no benefits

A pretty good side gig

I’ve worked for VIP for just under a year. It was slow at the start getting students but things started picking up as my time continued. You definitely have to be an entertainer and a teacher with this job. You are going against and competing with literally thousands of other teachers. I am a full-time teacher but I was able to make just under $21,000 with this job so I am definitely not complaining. To do this I basically worked 7 days a week for 3 hours a day. That being said the per class amount you get is just so so. Before, they had said that they would re-negotiate your salary after you have taught for one year and only if you met certain requirements (for example, you have to have taught a certain number of classes within the year, you have to have missed no less than three classes within that year, etc). I was told by them that now they do not adjust your salary and what you make on your first day as a base salary will be the same no matter how long or how well you do with them. That is very frustrating. The bottom line is this: if you are a skilled, energetic teacher who doesn’t mind getting up early or staying up late at night then it is a good side job. I would not recommend this as a full-time employment, however.

Pros

Work when you want

Cons

12 hour time difference makes the teaching hours challenging

Flexible work from Home position

Vipkid has been pretty good for me so far. The course work is fairly well presented. The students are the best part of the job, and also the hardest part. It can be both very rewarding and very tiring.

Pros

Make own schedule, work from home.

Cons

Early working hours, have to work a lot.

VIPKID worth it if you get booked regularly

I have been working for VIPKID for 2 years. The most I made was $3800 USD in a month but that is not constant.company does not provide a stable schedule. They say parents pick you, but I would say it's not fully the truth. It's a high energy job, if you are not fun, kids will get bored. You must be a fun,giggly entertainer. Covid hours have been horrible. I try work at 430-9am but realistically I'm getting booked only 6-8am.

Pros

You can make a lot if money if classes are consistent

Cons

Overall it's unstable. You can probably make $700-1000 USD

Teach English online from the comfort of your house!

Working from home with little-to-no time investment or stress outside of the 1/2 hour booking is wonderful! The hours suck (I live on the west coast) and the company isn't the best communicators. Bookings also fluctuate A LOT and there's no guarantee you fill your schedule. You also have no control over who you work with. But the work is easy and fun, there's no content development, just show up in your PJ's and hang out with kids. For the work, I think the pay is fair.

Pros

Work from home, no prep

Cons

Not exactly an independent contractor position

great job!

If you are good at sales, you will love this job! The salary is good and you can work as per your preference. The kids are awesome and VIPKID supports their teachers well.

Cutting pay for established teachers is discouraging

I have truly enjoyed my years working here. I love my students. However, this week, the company announced an overhaul of the pay structure that cuts my pay significantly. I am a single mom working four jobs. This pay cut will impact my ability to care for my family. I was accustomed to not getting raises - but a pay cut for an employee with stellar reviews is not acceptable. I am discouraged, and I feel the company does not value me as a teacher.

Pros

The students!

Cons

Inability to cancel classes without penalty.

Disappointed in Management

PROS - I love my students - Interactive platform CONS - Management doesn't care about the teachers - you are just a number to them - Salaries being cut even for experienced teachers - Parents have to pay high prices for classes as management is greedy and increases costs of classes

Horrible, Slimy Company

VIPKID is ok at best. I am putting one star because they have pulled every teacher into a new "pay schedule," beginning August 2020, and sugar coated the email to imply it was a reward. Literally every teacher has received a pay cut. They change policies without communication. This company is a joke. They removed raises, which were hard to get in the first place and it's ridiculous. Avoid this company.and a slap in the face.

No bookings

I put HOURS of my own time into VIPKid. I made a great intro video, obtained as many certifications as I could, obtained TEOSL basic and advanced, and read VIPKid blogs. I am a good teacher - great in fact - but I could not get enough bookings. I waited patiently - I am in my 8th month now - but... still not nearly enough bookings. I wrote to the company three times, but they didn't seem to care. I felt alone and under valued by VIPKid. They have tens of thousands of teachers, so why would they care about me? I don't like that kind of culture. I recently closed all my open slots and took a job with a local tutoring company. My experience with VIPKid was a total waste of time. I am hugely disappointed.

No nonsense company with clear teacher expectations - a relief compared to other online teaching companies -

I've worked for 3 different online ESL teaching companies since Dec.2018 and VIPKid is the only company I still have remained with and will continue to do so. Although the salary is lower than the other two companies I worked for, there is a certainty regarding what is expected of teachers, the supports available to teachers, many opportunities to advance in teaching qualifications, and a payment framework that is consistent, accurate, and on time. This wasn't true with the other two companies I worked for (one company had a confusing management style that created errors in payment, schedules, and teacher expectations. The other company had poor management-teacher and management-parent communication - what they told teachers vs. what they told parents, at times was contradictory - and unfair payment methods that penalized teachers to the extreme extent). For VIPKid, there are many more pluses compared to minuses with VIPKid in comparison to the other two companies I worked for.

Good work, not well compensated

Teaching the kids is fun and interesting, but takes prep work even though the slides are written. The kids are very smart, driven and nice to teach.

Self Scheduling

Its a great company to work at, the self scheduling is very helpful and easy to maintain. Typical day at work starts with meeting students, talking to them about their goals for the week and the requirements they would like to fulfil. Focus on learning but also fun so it is easier to absorb the knowledge.

Official response from VIPKid

22 March 2020
VIPKID really appreciates your kind words. We work hard every day to offer an even better environment to the amazing teachers in our platform!

You make your own schedule.

I like the control of scheduling my own time in teaching. The materials are really well prepared. It’s a great job for making money on the side and you get to do it at home.

Lot's of fun to teach.

You get to teach kids English and have all the material ready for you. It's a winning business model. The kids are usually very fun to teach as well. However, there are next to no benefits like healthcare or dental.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKid. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement