VIPKid

VIPKid Employee Reviews

Vipkid has been pretty good for me so far. The course work is fairly well presented. The students are the best part of the job, and also the hardest part. It can be both very rewarding and very tiring.
Pros
Make own schedule, work from home.
Cons
Early working hours, have to work a lot.
I have been working for VIPKID for 2 years. The most I made was $3800 USD in a month but that is not constant.company does not provide a stable schedule. They say parents pick you, but I would say it's not fully the truth. It's a high energy job, if you are not fun, kids will get bored. You must be a fun,giggly entertainer. Covid hours have been horrible. I try work at 430-9am but realistically I'm getting booked only 6-8am.
Pros
You can make a lot if money if classes are consistent
Cons
Overall it's unstable. You can probably make $700-1000 USD
Working from home with little-to-no time investment or stress outside of the 1/2 hour booking is wonderful! The hours suck (I live on the west coast) and the company isn't the best communicators. Bookings also fluctuate A LOT and there's no guarantee you fill your schedule. You also have no control over who you work with. But the work is easy and fun, there's no content development, just show up in your PJ's and hang out with kids. For the work, I think the pay is fair.
Pros
Work from home, no prep
Cons
Not exactly an independent contractor position
If you are good at sales, you will love this job! The salary is good and you can work as per your preference. The kids are awesome and VIPKID supports their teachers well.
I have truly enjoyed my years working here. I love my students. However, this week, the company announced an overhaul of the pay structure that cuts my pay significantly. I am a single mom working four jobs. This pay cut will impact my ability to care for my family. I was accustomed to not getting raises - but a pay cut for an employee with stellar reviews is not acceptable. I am discouraged, and I feel the company does not value me as a teacher.
Pros
The students!
Cons
Inability to cancel classes without penalty.
PROS - I love my students - Interactive platform CONS - Management doesn't care about the teachers - you are just a number to them - Salaries being cut even for experienced teachers - Parents have to pay high prices for classes as management is greedy and increases costs of classes
VIPKID is ok at best. I am putting one star because they have pulled every teacher into a new "pay schedule," beginning August 2020, and sugar coated the email to imply it was a reward. Literally every teacher has received a pay cut. They change policies without communication. This company is a joke. They removed raises, which were hard to get in the first place and it's ridiculous. Avoid this company.and a slap in the face.
I put HOURS of my own time into VIPKid. I made a great intro video, obtained as many certifications as I could, obtained TEOSL basic and advanced, and read VIPKid blogs. I am a good teacher - great in fact - but I could not get enough bookings. I waited patiently - I am in my 8th month now - but... still not nearly enough bookings. I wrote to the company three times, but they didn't seem to care. I felt alone and under valued by VIPKid. They have tens of thousands of teachers, so why would they care about me? I don't like that kind of culture. I recently closed all my open slots and took a job with a local tutoring company. My experience with VIPKid was a total waste of time. I am hugely disappointed.
I've worked for 3 different online ESL teaching companies since Dec.2018 and VIPKid is the only company I still have remained with and will continue to do so. Although the salary is lower than the other two companies I worked for, there is a certainty regarding what is expected of teachers, the supports available to teachers, many opportunities to advance in teaching qualifications, and a payment framework that is consistent, accurate, and on time. This wasn't true with the other two companies I worked for (one company had a confusing management style that created errors in payment, schedules, and teacher expectations. The other company had poor management-teacher and management-parent communication - what they told teachers vs. what they told parents, at times was contradictory - and unfair payment methods that penalized teachers to the extreme extent). For VIPKid, there are many more pluses compared to minuses with VIPKid in comparison to the other two companies I worked for.
Teaching the kids is fun and interesting, but takes prep work even though the slides are written. The kids are very smart, driven and nice to teach.
Its a great company to work at, the self scheduling is very helpful and easy to maintain. Typical day at work starts with meeting students, talking to them about their goals for the week and the requirements they would like to fulfil. Focus on learning but also fun so it is easier to absorb the knowledge.
22 March 2020
VIPKID really appreciates your kind words. We work hard every day to offer an even better environment to the amazing teachers in our platform!
I like the control of scheduling my own time in teaching. The materials are really well prepared. It’s a great job for making money on the side and you get to do it at home.
You get to teach kids English and have all the material ready for you. It's a winning business model. The kids are usually very fun to teach as well. However, there are next to no benefits like healthcare or dental.
Good stuff. No problems yet. Just really early, thats all. West is not best in this scenario. The further east you are, the better time zone you have with China. Ive never had a problem with bookings since the second week
I really enjoy this job. I feel like my own boss and I enjoy the flexibility of using my teaching skills to cover their prepared lesson. Providing student feedback doesn’t take long after the lesson. A very well-organized company! I don’t like the low pay and charges associated with accessing pay. That definitely needs improvement.
9 February 2020
The convenience and flexibility of this job make it very tempting. They were the deciding factors for me. If one is really ambitious, you can maybe even book a couple of classes before you go to your 9-5, if you needed/wanted some padding on the income. I worked for VIPkids for a year. Over the year, I developed a pretty strong connection with some of my regular students and I really liked teaching them. The technology is cool and the platform is improving as far as teaching materials go. However, over the course of the year - and especially towards the end of 2019 - VIPkid's policies changed. The quality of the support for teachers decreased both inside and outside the classroom. There is very little transparency in the company, I heard down the grapevine from a teacher based in China that the structure for parents also changed. I can't say for sure whether that is a direct cause, or maybe there are just way more teachers competing for classes but towards the end of 2019 there were less bookings than what I used to get on average. There were also huge changes made in payment structure and I do not believe that VIPkid did their due diligence to make teachers realize what was happening. As a teacher in Canada I also noticed that starting around October/November I was receiving less of my pay based on the average USD conversion rate. I tried to figure out what was going on and luckily my bank was able to show me the USD amount that VIPkids was sending me from their intermediary bank stateside. It was on average $20-30 less USD than what I was invoicing. Likely, I was being - more...
Stay disciplined and follow time and class lesson plan, you will have no problems. You will enjoy this if you like to teach and are committed to go on to be a part of a chinese students' success
VIPKID gave me a very unique experience where I got to work from home and set my own hours. I enjoy learning the curriculum and learned a lot about teaching one on one to kids.
Pros: flexible hours, great students to teach, lessons are done for you to maintain consistency. Cons: It took 2 years (4 contracts) to get a $0.50 raise, If you have to cancel a class with less than 24 hours notice without an acceptable reason to them (with proof to back your reason up) they deduct $10 from your paycheque, their incentives are not very motivating and the hours can be brutal after a while.
14 November 2019
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We regard our students as the heart of our platform, and teachers like you, the lifeblood that keeps it running. If you want to speak with us further, feel free to contact us directly by submitting a ticket.
Flexibility is the main benefit. No guaranteed hours, so it's up to teachers to cultivate a following and hopefully get bookings. Not best pleased with the responses from Admin when trouble-shooting or asking for a small salary increase after 5 contracts.
VIP kid offers a great opportunity to make money from home. It's easy and the children are usually well behaved and eager to learn. However, hours are minimal unless you work at ungodly hours.
  1. Employee reviews