VINCE'S MARKET

VINCE'S MARKET Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
If you are out of college/high school, then this is a great place to work.

The age gaps at each establishment create personal bias between the workers and sometimes lead to sour relationships.
I worked in the Tottenham location and it was awful. Supervisor made me work alone after a 2 week break even though I told her i was uncomfortable with it only to be fired the next day. I trained my replacement.... I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. $14 an hour is not worth you being treated like dirt, having customers yell at you, your coworkers getting mad when they have to look after your station while you're on break.
The management in my area was lacking. Limited training was provided. Unsafe environment. Other staff would blame people for things even if it wasnt them. Very caddy environment encouraged by management. Was happy to quit!
Not paid or treated fairly for the amount of work expected to be done. Very unclean works areas. Management cares very little for the employees. Most equipment is broken.
New manager in the department I started at wanted everything changed and updated. I agreed with them as it was needed within the department, as I would offer my assistance the manager didn't take it. I offered to come in for those last minute shifts when people called in as my commute was less than the managers. I was already doing shift independently in the early mornings. When I would go in for my schedule shift the manager of the department would complain about being there night and day and not having a life outside of work. One day the manager came in when she wasn't schedule and I had done everything for the routine and I checked with the manager for anything else I could do, mark downs, expiry dates ect. the workplace wassanitized and cleaned and the manager went upstairs and fired the person I had worked with all morning and not ten minutes later let me go. The manager in the room as HR discussing with me how the week would go, the manager was biting their nails in regret and as I see now they're hiring in the department once again. Maybe find a new manger with in that department that will let other people have a job in the workplace.
On multiply occasions I have been yelled at for anything and everything by my supervisors. Screamed at, called stupid, asked how I even got into university, and more. Human resources does not care, management laughs and says it's just how it is, there is no solution to this problem. There are no employee benefits and no raises.
I enjoyed working at VInce's Market. I was able to learn a variety of the different foods, brands and alcoholic beverages. I was also able to work successfully in a fast-paced team environment which i thoroughly enjoyed. The management and co-workers were very friendly and made my experience at the store fun and positive.
Pros
Store Discount
Breaks were made to be taken two hours into shift, leaving you to work 4.5-5 hours without a break. Awful management, shady business practices. Expired products being served to customers.
Pros
Staff, Customers
Cons
Management, Breaks, Pay, Treatment
They employ a lot of high school students and you would think the managers were in high school as well. Its a bad work environment and I would not recommend wasting your time.
The Sharon location I worked in the basement preparing food. I have never worked in a more filthy, fly infested environment in my whole working career it would the norm to have a few flyes on you or about your face while working. I have no idea how they could pass a health inspection!!! My co-workers were good people and that I enjoyed but the overwhelming toxic environment was something I had never experienced before. The amount of complaining about management and owners never ended, as for the owners 1 was always angry and the other 2 seemed very shady. The new staff turnover rate was high and it was not uncommon that if management did not like you your shifts were reduced. The office staff for the most part were not to friendly. As for the prepared food we constantly had various management and owner sampling the food and then wanting changes made, there was not standard recipe for us to follow it made very frustrating, to many Chiefs. If product was past due I was still expected use it even meat products!!! They would ship from the other two stores there past due meats and place them in the large walk in freezer. There was so much invetory in boxes stacked up that the boxes in the center of these piles never froze. I witnessed frozen baguettes being thrown out of the freeze to the ground, I thought they must have freezer burn and to be pitched out, Nope the baker picked them up and headed back up stairs, the floors in the basement were filthy, I also saw a cart of assorted breads for catering land on that same basement floor only to be picked up and used. My thoughts were - more...
Pros
Cons
Many
A typical day at work includes packaging many meats and cleaning a lot of the things we used. the hardest part of the job was figuring out what to do for the remainder of my shift after finishing what i was supposed to do and then doing more.
Pros
easy job
Cons
no benefits
I enjoyed working at Vince's Market because I mostly get to be independent with my work. It gave me the opportunity to have my time management flexible.
Pros
Friendly management
Cons
Lots of hours. Other associates aren't willing to do their work.
The pay was decent. The staff was friendly enough. You only got your shift schedule 2-3 days in advance. The shifts were very unpredictable. Under-staffed in peak seasons during busy times. It was overall just OK.
Pros
Discount sandwiches
Cons
Short notice for schedule
-management does nothing to help employees with issues that need to be tackled....
-benefits suck,employee discount card is a big rip off

-shady owners....very very bad management

-high turnover rate.... there’s a reason why everyone quits so quickly......workplace culture is toxic and sketchy ....always short staffed in every store
Pros
Coworkers are nice
Cons
Management, sketchy business practices, no discounts
Management/Supervisors don't appreciate their employees. There was no transparent communication or positive reinforcement.
I never received a review or raise.

I did enjoy working with my colleagues and the store hours were good.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Poor Management
Seeing as it was my first job i was unable to see how badly the place was run and horribly the workers treated. The owner is nice but shady and the ladies running the place are unqualified and uncertified for their responsibilities. They do however realize that they have crazy turnover and will pay and promote you to stay if you're a good worker.
I would advise no one to work here or shop here. They are cooking bad food with expired products. They have no real care for the customer. They also treat their employees awful. It's a miracle they are still open for business and haven't been shut down.
Pros
Okay pay
Cons
Everything else
I was constantly asked to serve expired food to customers, constantly told I (as well as my co-workers) was not doing an adequate job despite following all asked orders from upper management. We were constantly micro-managed, asked to do things we expressed we couldn't (lifting trays much heavier than our capabilities, despite warnings during INTERVIEWS that it was an issue) and made to feel highly inferior. I suspect this is because its a family owned/run company and they do not appreciate their employees, seeing them as very expendable.
I do not suggest working for this company, despite my making great relationships with the people I worked day-to-day with. It was not worth the stress in the end.
Pros
Great co-workers, discount sandwiches
Cons
management, overall treatment from managers to lower employees
I worked for Vince's for 4 years and they consistently treated everyone like dirt. No one got raises for 3 years after the store opened. I was forced by supervisors to cook bad food, and forced to divulge personal information. This is a very greedy, sketchy company and I really wish that they change their ways or shut down. I was denied breaks and consistently put down even though I sacrificed a lot, always worked hard, and showed time and time again that I was a good employee. They don't care about their workers, just about themselves.
No complaints, good experience as well as good hours. All the employees are well mannered and enjoyable to be around. The work was not too overwhelming and management is pleasant to deal with
So went in for a meeting with Vince's manager today to speak about some issues regarding the job, I got let go for standing up for myself and attempting to resolve something I felt was inappropriate behaviour. On my last shift I had a 7 hour shift and 2 hours in I was told to go on my break. I asked if it could be later and was told no and to go. I also asked if I could split it into two 15 minutes was also told no. I went for my break though as asked and worked my final 4.5 hours. Made for a long day but fine, I did so.
The next day I came in as a CUSTOMER to pick up a few things. I intended to be quick as my parents and pups were waiting in the car for me.

The Front End Manager comes rushing out calling my name as I am leaving, I stop thinking perhaps she is going to say hello or ask me if I was available to work later that day or something of the sort (it was Thanksgiving weekend after all) Instead I am given a lengthy lecture about how I gave attitude the other day. And how that's the way things are run. I tried to explain that I merely asked, but was rudely interrupted by her saying "Oh well that's the way it is. Sometimes you have to take your break 20 minutes into a shift even if you work all day, so Oh well."

Regardless I was surprised that not only was I just told this in a very hostile tone of voice. Like she was pushing me to react, I was filled with anger but told her that I had to go, walking away.

I felt harassed, singled out and actually chased out of the store on my day off. I will not be giving Vince's my business again and encourage others to not do
 - more...
Pros
Love seeing customers
Cons
Management. Not feeling secure or protected in my job.