VINCE'S MARKET Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun place to work
Cashier and Barista (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON12 March 2019
I enjoyed working at VInce's Market. I was able to learn a variety of the different foods, brands and alcoholic beverages. I was also able to work successfully in a fast-paced team environment which i thoroughly enjoyed. The management and co-workers were very friendly and made my experience at the store fun and positive.
Pros
Store Discount
Awful, Stay Away
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON27 February 2019
Breaks were made to be taken two hours into shift, leaving you to work 4.5-5 hours without a break. Awful management, shady business practices. Expired products being served to customers.
Pros
Staff, Customers
Cons
Management, Breaks, Pay, Treatment
Please do not shop there!!!!!
Cook (Former Employee) –  Sharon10 January 2019
The Sharon location I worked in the basement preparing food. I have never worked in a more filthy, fly infested environment in my whole working career it would the norm to have a few flyes on you or about your face while working. I have no idea how they could pass a health inspection!!! My co-workers were good people and that I enjoyed but the overwhelming toxic environment was something I had never experienced before. The amount of complaining about management and owners never ended, as for the owners 1 was always angry and the other 2 seemed very shady. The new staff turnover rate was high and it was not uncommon that if management did not like you your shifts were reduced. The office staff for the most part were not to friendly. As for the prepared food we constantly had various management and owner sampling the food and then wanting changes made, there was not standard recipe for us to follow it made very frustrating, to many Chiefs. If product was past due I was still expected use it even meat products!!! They would ship from the other two stores there past due meats and place them in the large walk in freezer. There was so much invetory in boxes stacked up that the boxes in the center of these piles never froze. I witnessed frozen baguettes being thrown out of the freeze to the ground, I thought they must have freezer burn and to be pitched out, Nope the baker picked them up and headed back up stairs, the floors in the basement were filthy, I also saw a cart of assorted breads for catering land on that same basement floor only to be picked up and used. My thoughts were  more... that the worker are either in a state of I don't care because the culture of the store or they don't want to get in trouble possible losing their job. If you are thinking of working there think again.  less
Pros
Cons
Many
made friends while i was there but management did me dirty right after i trained my second guy by firing me and giving absolutely no reason why.
Meat Department (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 September 2018
A typical day at work includes packaging many meats and cleaning a lot of the things we used. the hardest part of the job was figuring out what to do for the remainder of my shift after finishing what i was supposed to do and then doing more.
Pros
easy job
Cons
no benefits
Independency is important
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON3 July 2018
I enjoyed working at Vince's Market because I mostly get to be independent with my work. It gave me the opportunity to have my time management flexible.
Pros
Friendly management
Cons
Lots of hours. Other associates aren't willing to do their work.
Decent pay, poor shift scheduling
Retail Employee (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 June 2018
The pay was decent. The staff was friendly enough. You only got your shift schedule 2-3 days in advance. The shifts were very unpredictable. Under-staffed in peak seasons during busy times. It was overall just OK.
Pros
Discount sandwiches
Cons
Short notice for schedule
Small time company that only cares about themselves
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sharon, ON6 May 2018
-management does nothing to help employees with issues that need to be tackled....
-benefits suck,employee discount card is a big rip off
-shady owners....very very bad management
-high turnover rate.... there’s a reason why everyone quits so quickly......workplace culture is toxic and sketchy ....always short staffed in every store
Pros
Coworkers are nice
Cons
Management, sketchy business practices, no discounts
Poorly Managed
Grocery (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON15 April 2018
Management/Supervisors don't appreciate their employees. There was no transparent communication or positive reinforcement.
I never received a review or raise.

I did enjoy working with my colleagues and the store hours were good.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Poor Management
OK first job, management needs to be replaced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 April 2018
Seeing as it was my first job i was unable to see how badly the place was run and horribly the workers treated. The owner is nice but shady and the ladies running the place are unqualified and uncertified for their responsibilities. They do however realize that they have crazy turnover and will pay and promote you to stay if you're a good worker.
Awful Comapny To work For. Bad Management Stay Away!
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON17 July 2017
I would advise no one to work here or shop here. They are cooking bad food with expired products. They have no real care for the customer. They also treat their employees awful. It's a miracle they are still open for business and haven't been shut down.
Pros
Okay pay
Cons
Everything else
Favouritism is a Constant
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON4 March 2017
I was constantly asked to serve expired food to customers, constantly told I (as well as my co-workers) was not doing an adequate job despite following all asked orders from upper management. We were constantly micro-managed, asked to do things we expressed we couldn't (lifting trays much heavier than our capabilities, despite warnings during INTERVIEWS that it was an issue) and made to feel highly inferior. I suspect this is because its a family owned/run company and they do not appreciate their employees, seeing them as very expendable.
I do not suggest working for this company, despite my making great relationships with the people I worked day-to-day with. It was not worth the stress in the end.
Pros
Great co-workers, discount sandwiches
Cons
management, overall treatment from managers to lower employees
I do not recommend this company
Prepared Foods (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON16 January 2017
I worked for Vince's for 4 years and they consistently treated everyone like dirt. No one got raises for 3 years after the store opened. I was forced by supervisors to cook bad food, and forced to divulge personal information. This is a very greedy, sketchy company and I really wish that they change their ways or shut down. I was denied breaks and consistently put down even though I sacrificed a lot, always worked hard, and showed time and time again that I was a good employee. They don't care about their workers, just about themselves.
Part time worker (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON1 April 2016
No complaints, good experience as well as good hours. All the employees are well mannered and enjoyable to be around. The work was not too overwhelming and management is pleasant to deal with
Felt Singled Out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Ontario16 October 2015
So went in for a meeting with Vince's manager today to speak about some issues regarding the job, I got let go for standing up for myself and attempting to resolve something I felt was inappropriate behaviour. On my last shift I had a 7 hour shift and 2 hours in I was told to go on my break. I asked if it could be later and was told no and to go. I also asked if I could split it into two 15 minutes was also told no. I went for my break though as asked and worked my final 4.5 hours. Made for a long day but fine, I did so.
The next day I came in as a CUSTOMER to pick up a few things. I intended to be quick as my parents and pups were waiting in the car for me.
The Front End Manager comes rushing out calling my name as I am leaving, I stop thinking perhaps she is going to say hello or ask me if I was available to work later that day or something of the sort (it was Thanksgiving weekend after all) Instead I am given a lengthy lecture about how I gave attitude the other day. And how that's the way things are run. I tried to explain that I merely asked, but was rudely interrupted by her saying "Oh well that's the way it is. Sometimes you have to take your break 20 minutes into a shift even if you work all day, so Oh well."
Regardless I was surprised that not only was I just told this in a very hostile tone of voice. Like she was pushing me to react, I was filled with anger but told her that I had to go, walking away.
I felt harassed, singled out and actually chased out of the store on my day off. I will not be giving Vince's my business again and encourage others to not do
  more... the same.  less
Pros
Love seeing customers
Cons
Management. Not feeling secure or protected in my job.
Great frist job
Produce cleak (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON4 February 2015
My other co-workers were great people to work for. It was also a great place to work while attending secondary school and get a feel for the work force.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Bad managemant
Cashier
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sharon, ON3 July 2014
Processing customers orders, bagging their orders. You also maintain the lane and areas around it, make sure its stocked up and cleaned. If you're not busy help other cashiers bag the items and replenish the bag stock. Assisting other departments with tasks assigned by your supervisor.
Pros
Great co-workers, awesome supervisors good hours
Cons
There wasn't anything really that bad about the place, everyone is supportive!
Vinces Market Review
Baker (Former Employee) –  Sharon, ON20 March 2013
Vinces Market has great people. the managment is a tad.. unpredictable. hours are good pay was acceptable
Pros
good pay, proper and reasonable hours
Cons
tempermental manager