Vicwest Building Products

Vicwest Building Products Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
Great staff and great management, there is room for advancement, as well as very nice office space. I really enjoyed my time working with the company.
Pros
Great office
Cons
Distance
sante maladiff, papier du medecin non remit a la bonne personne,/perte de l'emploie.je desirerait revenir travailler a cet instant..
I personally loved this job, I was never bored and constantly busy. my favourite part was being able to use the power tools to build the skids and crates we would use on the job.
Get to work have coffee and socialize with other workers.Morning meeting to discuss the days work for the day.Then go to our work areas and begin a productive day.To use forklifts,stand up lift trucks i.e.-Raymond Reach,Clark.Got along well,but as you know there is or can be heated discussions.Working in heavy down pours and snow storms,but worst part was shoveling materials out for shipping.When i got the trailer loaded fast so the truck drivers can get on their way.Also having time to assist the drivers tarp their loads if time permitted.JUST DOING A GREAT JOB and go home knowing i did a good job!
really good place to work, best people to work with (will answer any question help you out as they can), safety is priority as it should be, good work environment, just really good place to work would recommend to anyone to go!
They provide a great environment to work within. Awesome coworkers to work along side. Fair and competitive wages with benefits and incentives. You must be able to work under tight deadlines, under pressure and adapt on the go. There could be more consistency with the rules of the office staff, from management. I would work the again if the opportunity presented itself.
Stratford Ontario Lorne Ave location
Two very distinct cliques the dos and do nots, favourites played on all levels, unsafe practices encouraged to hit the numbers needed.

HR is a disaster and most of the time not present in the building but there is a recognized employee that will hear the concern to make it appear HR issues are of some level of importance.

Over all one of the most wasteful companies I have ever had the displeasure of working for, there is so much potential good this company could do for its communities but supposed red tape and rules prevent them from helping their community (ask the houses that are behind the Lorne Ave location in Stratford where the slamming of the press have to affect everyone in the area of that plant).

Temp workers are treated less than appropriate and are as disposable as wet wipes to the management and supervisors that actively encourage if they can't cut it make them leave philosophy, I lost count of how many I watched leave in a fit of rage or a fit of sadness with water works.

If you are a lady do not work on the shop floor unless you have very thick skin and choose to tolerate a very poor work environment where reportable incidents get shoved under rugs for the doers.

They like most in the area are bringing in Automobile factory people that attempt to bring in practises and procedures designed for that industry and unless it's a doers idea, you may get e terd in a monthly draw for a gift card but your ideas fall on deaf ears.

Training is minimal and if the machine acts up and the lead maintenence is busy, your on your
 - more...
Pros
Pay check with the chance of OT if they like you
Cons
Too many to list
Good pension plan and benefits. Like to promote from within. The company has been around for 85+ years and has a great product that makes it easy to promote.
-Company is in a big personnel overhauling and IT transformation, this sometimes lead to rapid employee turnover rate, lack of staff training due to technologies rapidly being introduced to the business which the business doesn't have ample time to adjust and build training materials and schedule in knowledge sessions.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Bad working office locations
Vicwest offer excellent benefit package to employees. Working environment at Vicwest is very friendly. I would highly recommend people to join Vicwest.
Loved working foe Vic West, during a typical day I would unload the steel deliveries, prepare material for production, maintain inventory area report to managers keep area clean
Pros
positive
Cons
positive
Friendly employees that gave me the help I needed to do well. Job was helping with the Director of National Marketing and did what I was told to do for the company.
Although my time there was quite essential I found myself to be some what of a seasonal worker with not much chance of advancement and the chance to upgrade my qualifications were limited.
Working there could be challenging, as the company expected that you know everything the first day and not forget how to do it. Was not encouraging when working well but blasted when not doing that well.
Pros
straight days
Cons
The envoirment
This company pays well and has good benefits. The company is in a buy out transition which has stripped many long time employees and left the quality of management lacking.
Pros
good pay/bennefits
Cons
Poor management
My manager was a good person to work for, the girls in the office swore a lot and did not know how to manager a busy, stressful workplace.
Pros
Nice people working in the plant
Cons
Lots of swearing
I worked there for 6 months. I found it to be a pleasant and helpful working environment with decent wages and lots of OT if you wanted to work extra.

Management was good. Didnt micro-manage or sweat the small stuff.

Only reason I left was because I got what was a better opportunity for me at the time.
Pros
Lots of OT and competitive wages, weekends off
Cons
start 7am get organized with the crew,put up fall protection roof barriers, made sure each employee had all personal safety equipment. made sure that there was fresh water avaiable & made sure each worker was sober. a little hard work is good for people in general. In roofing the weather is important because high-winds. Rain, snow &cold weather determines how much to do in a work day. In regards to co-workers some were not suited for this work & a few Foremen where not suitable to lead crews.
Pros
good physical work
Cons
bad weather
Une journée de travail typique commençait par la revue des niveaux d'inventaires, commander le matériel requis, faire le suivi des commandes, régler les problèmes liés si il y a lieu, répondre aux différents départements pour le bon fonctionnement de l'entreprise. Faire la revue des ententes annuelles et refaire le processus de soumission si requis une fois par année.

Vicwest est une entreprise axée sur la formation continue en milieu de travail ce qui donne plusieurs avantages tel que la possibilité d'avancement et l'acquisition de nouvelles connaissances.

Mes collaborateurs étaient principalement les contremaitres de l'usine pour leur fournir le matériel essentiel et la matière première. Le département des ventes était tout aussi important, les tenir à jour sur les produits, rechercher de nouveaux produits, les délais de réception.

Le transport était un important collaborateur pour ramasser ou retourner la marchandise chez certain fournisseurs.

Les comptes payables pour la confirmation des prix lorsque différents des commandes.

L'aspect le plus difficile de mon poste était la difficulté à obtenir des soumissions dans le format voulu et claires.

L'aspect le plus agréable de mon poste était une journée accomplie avec succès pour avoir comblé les besoins de tous en équipe et en harmonie.
Great Company and great people. Good learning experience.
Work-life balance. Opportunity to grow and further develop skills.

Great benefits.
The company is great to work for and the collaboration between the business units is world class. The culture is one of continuous improvement and values metrics and facts driven decision making.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vicwest Building Products. Our community is ready to answer.