Victorian Order of Nurses Employee Reviews

Great experience
Home Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Peel, ON19 September 2018
Great place to gain valuable community experience and work with a broad spectrum of clients. A great opportunity to provide the best possible care to clients who remain at home and during end of life care. Very fulfilling career.
Not a good work enviroment!
PSW (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON15 September 2018
Management does not care about clients or staff.
When PSW'S report things nothing gets charted!
Schedules always changing.
Poor planning staff expected to drive over 100 kms somedays. No pay for travel time. Management don't care when you complain. Favortism and several staff on modified leaves you with all the heavy care clients.
NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK!
Staff don't stay long that is why they are always hiring.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Expectations!
Much needed community sopport
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Lunenburg, NS7 September 2018
Highly dedicated staff with superb organizational and nursing skills. Provided support, education, training and leadership guidance to a highly motivated group of much needed specialized community nurses.
It was a pleasure working with the nurses in the Lunenburg and Queens counties
very enjoyable place to work
homemaker (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB2 August 2018
went to different houses and helped the seniors with personal care and house cleaning, got to here lots of stories about the old days. i really loved hearing the stories
Good at placing volunteers with clients close to home
Volunteer Visitor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 July 2018
Great management. My clients are quite pleased with the volunteers and employees of the VON. Management recognizes the volunteers for what they do through various events. Ongoing education and workshops offered by professionals in the industry (alzheimers, elder abuse etc.)
Pros
great team of management and staff; education
Culture was horrible, staff overwhelmed with work
Management r (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 July 2018
Management looked down on staff and didn’t respect them. Did not speak to them professionally.
Negative environment. Pay was ok because it was unionized environment.

Heavy upper management staff had to pay for parking half way throughout the year.
Pros
Loved the clients and team
Cons
A relatively high volume home care nursing organization that had a tremendously positive public service culture.
Vice President, Board of Governors (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 June 2018
This was a volunteer public service experience. I spent 8 years learning not for profit management and culture. I was "promoted" form chair of transportation, to chair of fund raising, and ultimately Vice President of the branch.
Pros
Great learning environment with a great sense of "give back" to community.
Cons
No Compensation
Von
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 May 2018
I wouldn't work here again as I was bullied by management forcing myself to quit. You can never get time off on weekends that you work cause no one will trade with you.
Company is accommodating
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 May 2018
Company allowed me to go from full-time to part-time when I returned to school last fall. They also allowed me to take some much-needed time off to attend to my studies.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Job is difficult physically.
No room for advancement
Recreation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON9 May 2018
Very poor management unprofessional and intimidating to employees. There’s no teamwork it’s almost like a dictatorship relationship when it comes to management. Many programs poorly organized or extremely repetitive little room for advancement.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
No advancement, poor wages

Want to know more about Victorian Order of Nurses?

Ask a question
Limited advancement
Finance Analyst/Payroll Coorditor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 May 2018
Hard to advance as limited jobs. Management delays union contracts discussions leaving staff without contract for a few years then last time, they did not give a rate increase for two years. Presently, without contract again and it's been two years ago.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, Locations
Cons
no advancements, wage increases delayed for union staff
King of Mismanagement
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 April 2018
VON does a lot of good for the community, and there is a lot of good intent behind their practices, but the company is so poorly managed. You are at the mercy of the operators who have their own agendas as well
work
Registered Practical Nurse (Community/Clinic ) (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 April 2018
cons
-no work life balance
-over worked with out good pay
-management are not compassionate
- hard on your vehicle
- the client to nurse ration was way off
- no consistency of clients

pros
-the clients were nice
Fun place to work.
Medical office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON21 March 2018
This was an awesome place to work. The staff and managers were great and helpful. The environment was very enjoyable. I would like to work there again but they lost their contract and we were all unfortunately let go.
amazing environment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON2 March 2018
was amazing to work in the community providing passionate care, loved the women and men that i had worked with and for, how ever not enough hours over staffed and disorganized.
Home care
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS26 February 2018
Took care of clients after I received the schedule for the day. I learned every client is different and that non profit organizations had a lot of politics. hardest part of the job was getting the clients the services they needed. I enjoyed my clients stories and learning about past events
closed VON Site
OFFICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 January 2018
I loved my job with the Victorian Order of Nurses, we worked very hard and I was extremely passionate in my Office Coordinator role. It was with a heavy heart that we were told they could not afford to run any of the Western Canadian sites and all were shut down. We were given 2 weeks notice with no severance pay.
a company with a lot of promise
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2018
The best part of the job was to be able to work with and serve a need community in the city that included seniors. The company can do better with better quality of service and tighter management. It is a great place for learning to be compassionate and patient when it comes to dealing with people with different levels of disabilities, whether that is physical, emotional or financial. That is more important in this job than the technical aspects of dealing with software glitches, etc.
Cons
Long hours, less money
Decent
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Canada2 January 2018
A top heavy organization that could be better managed and more organized. The organization does well within the communities they serve and the community/field staff are very dedicated. But internally I found they are an old organization with very old ways of doing things, and not very open to change. Management is unaccountable and they rarely listen or respect the needs of the lower level staff doing the day- to- day work that keep the organization afloat and service the needs of the community. The organization provides ample training and decent benefits, but there is very little room for professional advancement.
Pros
Benefits, Hours
Cons
Lack of advancement
Management is atrocious, pay and benefits are decent
Client Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 December 2017
Administration Office. There is not much getting ahead on the ladder without a lot of butt kissing and backstabbing. Co-Workers are endlessly blaming each other for things at managements encouragement.
Pros
Benefits and Pension
Cons
Nasty work environment and bad hours