Victoria University

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Lacks up to date equipment and facilities

The TAFE end of VU is the poor relation. It is treated as an embarrassment by senior and middle management. Line management is good but hamstrung by policy handed down from the exalted levels above. Teaching staff are mere numbers.

Pros

Good group of teachers led by a competent line manager

Cons

Callous upper management

Horrible place to work

Stress, disorganised & toxic environment. Awful management. Worked to the bone and made to feel bad. I do not recommend working here at all. So glad to leave and find a wonderful place to work after this.

Cons

No work life balance. Emails all weekend and after hours.

Best job I've ever had

Few are the jobs for which I've leapt out of bed in the morning; this was one of them. Working with the research support team at VUW was a dream, from the flexible hours to the caring, compassionate managers and friendly team culture (coffee breaks mandatory!). I readily took on extra projects because I knew I would be recognised and appreciated for my effort. Mistakes were treated as learning opportunities, and fixing them was considered an achievement in itself. VUW also has a strong culture of personal and professional development, with paid workshops for staff and ample opportunity to learn new skills and immerse yourself in the university culture. I could happily have worked this job for the rest of my career, and was very sorry to have to relocate.

Pros

Supportive work environment with great potential for growth

Cons

Literally nothing

Very difficult senior manager made the work very difficult. Played lots of silly games.

Vey difficult senior Manager who played a lot of silly games. Admin staff were great. The work was interesting although the teaching approach does not practice what it promotes. Very directive when it purports to be learner centred.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

Managembt

Great teaching premises

V.U is a great teaching premises with great facilities. The general pool of teaching crew are approachable and willing to help other staff. Many staff stay for more than 10 years.

Pros

Good money

Cons

travel and parking costs

I worked in the purchasing area using Finance 1

Within the accounts/purchasing department all employees got on well & although I was involved with purchasing for the Uni, at the end of each month assisted with the data entry of accounts receivable & payable. All within the department assisted each other where needed, & was a great work environment.

Pros

Good work balance

Productive and educational workplace

A typical day at work was equally as educational as it was fun. I learned how to be patient and communicative with students as well as helping them feel comfortable in a new environment.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

not enough hours

productive and challenging workplace which provided an enjoyable environment

Working at Victoria University was a rewarding experience. My colleagues were enjoyable to work with and always willing to lend a helping hand. I was also encouraged to forge my own path within my duties and I am so grateful for that experience. I learned a lot throughout that process.

unsupportive environment

poor management, no team support from team leaders, poor salary benefits, no job security, poor management, unsettling job culture, worked full time hours but wanted to work part time

Great basic admin and customer service skills developed

Great basic admin and customer service skills developed. I enjoyed meeting new people every day and the fast pace nature of the role. Working within a team was very rewarding and motivating for me.

Excellent Staff

I would definitely recommend Victoria University of Wellington. The staff were always friendly and approachable. The service was excellent and I learnt a lot of applicable skills from working with them.

A great place

I loved the working environment, the staff and how fun the experience was working as a residential advisor. They care about their staff's wellbeing and are always doing their best to help us grow.

under resourced and under funded

Victoria University is under-resourced and underfunded for the ambitions of the goals they are undertaking. Due to this, most departments operate in a DYI fashion with little regard to the overall goal of the university body. An effort to bring in more large corporate experience into this environment is helping to identify issues but senior management have little taste for the decisions required to drive change. There is an opportunity to make an impact with hard work.

Productive and Excellent Workplace

I produced the course for IELTS students and I did analyses the strong and weak points of the courses. My time studying Professional Development Program- Teaching allowed me to hone the ethics of a teacher, assessments of the course, teaching methodology, how to become a professional educator , how to deal with colleagues. Furthermore, my work as a professional lecturer required extensive time management and collaboration efforts, preparing me and delivering the course to the students in the deadlines and team demands of my supervisors.

Prouctive and fun work place

Typical daily teaching experience. Curriculum review and internal verification. Reading and exercise. Research. Examination. Field trip and group leading.

Avoid like the plag

Overworked undervalued, half the staff on stress leave the other half quitting. No compliance or support for staff. Unrealistic demands on your time. Avoid like the plague!

Engaging and motiving

Highly engaging with staff and to a lesser extent with student. The culture at work place is through team working. Fast paced work environment with opportunities for learnng

Fun place to be

The work place culture was awesome. The staff was from diverse backgrounds and everyone used to be fairly nice to one another. The people from librarians through to managers helped each other and always have been a motivation for me.

Sessional Teaching was good

Sessional teaching at university is like working casual. I was only in once a week and would literally just turn up and teach then leave. You obviously have to have qualifications in the area and thus, the only training is safety/risk management stuff as you are an expert.

Good People

Good People. Very friendly and easy to work with. Great Location. Job was challenging but very rewarding. Wasnt much that i didnt like about working here.

Transformational and innovative company

HE leading institution to transform the sector and student experience. Revolutionary approach to work allocation and support of academic staff in research, T&L and engagement with industry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Victoria University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement