Victoria General Hospital Employee Reviews

caustic work environment
Registered nurses (Former Employee) –  Intensive care unit14 October 2018
I worked mainly in critical care at the Victoria hospital. The work environment became very unsettled and unknown due to the provinces rebranding of the hospitals in the city, to a regional health care system. The critical care area I worked in went from a high acute challenging unit to more of a chronic long term care environment
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Poor physician coverage
overall I had a good team to work with hard working coworkers
Hospital Custodian (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 June 2018
It has been a few years since I have worked there. Generally I remember having more assistance for example if I was called upon to do a discharge clean in an isolation room I was given a helper which was usually the floor cleaner he would wash all the walls and floors while I washed the bed and furniture and all the equipment in the room so the discharge clean would take half the time.
Pros
getting more help with cleaning my ward
Cons
pay was less, short breaks
Old building, out-of-date nursing practices
Registered Nurse (FT-Temp) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 May 2018
Nursing practice is not up to speed there. The culture on the unit I was working on was pretty toxic. Hours/shifts and pay were consistent with union standards. Building is old and the re-circulated air gave me headaches.
understandable
Psychiatric Support/Meal Delivery (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2018
This is a fun workplace to be at. I have been here for a wile and find it is a great place be start a career in the field. Co workers are great and so are the girls.
Happy working at the Vic Great staff
LPN (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 April 2018
Glad to be there. Awesome schedule and great co workers. Lots of team work Cheerful Educational opportunities and adequate supplies. Management is approachable and reasonable and supportive
A balanced, educational workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 April 2018
invested in their employees, a very well rounded workplace that has much to offer. Educational experience and training, furthering education, competitive salary & benefits, job security.
Great workplace
Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 April 2018
Great workplace friendly environment fast pace always busy good food bus stops respectful union
Have to pay for parking and wear professional attire daily
Productive and fun
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 April 2018
Super team, with great staff! A true collaborative team environment. Great staff all around; they also offer a lot of in house training opportunities for staff to specialize and grow.
surgical unit very friendly including the manager
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2018
the surgical unit that no longer resides there was great. the staff were friendly supportive team players.the manager was easy to talk to and i'll miss him.
Excellent Company
4th Class Power Engineer / Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 February 2018
VIHA takes very good care of their employees. Although pay is not always competitive, they make up for it and more with their benefits. Management is very flexible.
Very clean and fun place to work
O.R technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2018
This is a place where you can spend your eight hours of work and learn many things at the same time. Staffs are friendly and supportive and also the management.
Hospital is a very clean place to work, you are able to interact with other staffs, patients and their family, Doctors and Nurses are friendly and that makes the work very easy and enjoyable.
great staff
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2017
Make sure Clinics are running successfully; tend to patients, responsible for filing confiden-tial paper work and able to prioritize and multi-task in a very high paced and high stake envi-ronment
my home
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 August 2017
i enjoyed my stay at this hospital. I really want to go back to the same team i worked with because they were so amzing. I love where i work now but VGH is still home
No nformation
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 June 2017
The rating of the job is excellent, the ideal setting for team work place in the area of staff and the environments. Working in this job setting is fun because its what I was trained to do, my passion.
Productive place of work.
Pharmacy Technician course practicum (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 June 2017
I did my practicum at the VGH, all the staff were very helpful, and accommodating, my first experience with IV, and TPN preparations was done by one of the pharmacist.
Pros
small pharmacy
Health Records at Victoria General Hospital
Health Record Technician (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 March 2017
Health Records is a highly physical and busy department.
There is a vast knowledge to have and learn throughout.
The staff for the most part are friendly and easy going which is good to have during a busy and productive day.
Productive and I enjoy working with the group
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 December 2016
I start with my day by doing our morning routines taking blood for morning blood works then after that Ill go to my respective area (like emergency dept or out patient)where I will take bllood from patients until afternoon. I learned how to deal with different people/patients especially patients who have different attitudes because of what they are experiencing at the moment they decide to be hopitalize.
I am a team player I can also help mu co workers who needs to be relieve for breaks. The most enjoyable part of our work is ending up servicing people who are in need of our help.
benefits
Cons
it takes long time to be a full time employee
good place
POWER ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 October 2016
Good place to work very relaxed but has a good structure to it. Most employees are very friendly and will help you when you need it. overall good place to start out
love working here
Casual Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 August 2016
I enjoy working on this hospital. They have a good ratings of hospital. People working here are very approachable and helpful.
Good learning place with cooperative staff
Physical Therapy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2016
Helped patients to cope with their limitations and daily activities
Assisted patients with their mobility aids and provided treatments with equipments like TENS,US, Laser etc.