Victoria General Hospital Employee Reviews

caustic work environment
Registered nurses (Former Employee) –  Intensive care unit14 October 2018
I worked mainly in critical care at the Victoria hospital. The work environment became very unsettled and unknown due to the provinces rebranding of the hospitals in the city, to a regional health care system. The critical care area I worked in went from a high acute challenging unit to more of a chronic long term care environment
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Poor physician coverage
overall I had a good team to work with hard working coworkers
Hospital Custodian (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 June 2018
It has been a few years since I have worked there. Generally I remember having more assistance for example if I was called upon to do a discharge clean in an isolation room I was given a helper which was usually the floor cleaner he would wash all the walls and floors while I washed the bed and furniture and all the equipment in the room so the discharge clean would take half the time.
Pros
getting more help with cleaning my ward
Cons
pay was less, short breaks
Old building, out-of-date nursing practices
Registered Nurse (FT-Temp) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 May 2018
Nursing practice is not up to speed there. The culture on the unit I was working on was pretty toxic. Hours/shifts and pay were consistent with union standards. Building is old and the re-circulated air gave me headaches.
Very clean and fun place to work
O.R technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2018
This is a place where you can spend your eight hours of work and learn many things at the same time. Staffs are friendly and supportive and also the management.
Hospital is a very clean place to work, you are able to interact with other staffs, patients and their family, Doctors and Nurses are friendly and that makes the work very easy and enjoyable.
Happy working at the Vic Great staff
LPN (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 April 2018
Glad to be there. Awesome schedule and great co workers. Lots of team work Cheerful Educational opportunities and adequate supplies. Management is approachable and reasonable and supportive
A balanced, educational workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 April 2018
invested in their employees, a very well rounded workplace that has much to offer. Educational experience and training, furthering education, competitive salary & benefits, job security.
understandable
Psychiatric Support/Meal Delivery (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2018
This is a fun workplace to be at. I have been here for a wile and find it is a great place be start a career in the field. Co workers are great and so are the girls.
Productive and fun
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 April 2018
Super team, with great staff! A true collaborative team environment. Great staff all around; they also offer a lot of in house training opportunities for staff to specialize and grow.
surgical unit very friendly including the manager
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2018
the surgical unit that no longer resides there was great. the staff were friendly supportive team players.the manager was easy to talk to and i'll miss him.
Great workplace
Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 April 2018
Great workplace friendly environment fast pace always busy good food bus stops respectful union
Have to pay for parking and wear professional attire daily
Excellent Company
4th Class Power Engineer / Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 February 2018
VIHA takes very good care of their employees. Although pay is not always competitive, they make up for it and more with their benefits. Management is very flexible.
Productive and I enjoy working with the group
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 December 2016
I start with my day by doing our morning routines taking blood for morning blood works then after that Ill go to my respective area (like emergency dept or out patient)where I will take bllood from patients until afternoon. I learned how to deal with different people/patients especially patients who have different attitudes because of what they are experiencing at the moment they decide to be hopitalize.
I am a team player I can also help mu co workers who needs to be relieve for breaks. The most enjoyable part of our work is ending up servicing people who are in need of our help.
benefits
Cons
it takes long time to be a full time employee
Food Service Manger
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 July 2016
I was in charge of all daily paperwork, schedules, training, supervising, inventory, maintenance, ordering, shipping, receiving and banking.
I learnt that a cafeteria environment is much different in a hospital than a collage.
I didn't have much management supervision at this establishment I was on my own.
I had a staff of 20+ some days a challenge but most were smooth sailing. Everyone pretty much worked together and became a pretty good team.
Learning the computer program it was very hard but when I understood it it was great.
Pros
Learning to work in a new environment.
Cons
Lack of training on a new computer system.
Great experience helping patients and helping staff
Patient Care Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 May 2013
Volunteering at this Hospital was a great experience for me. Talking with different people, helping patients and hospital staff all helped me build my confidence, improve my communication skills and helped me understand the importance of teamwork. The staff and volunteer management all are friendly and nice. Since I was a volunteer, there was no hard part of the job, but the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the patience.
A caring environment for the mentally ill.
Unit Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2013
My day starts at 7:15 and ends at 3:30. I am a full-time employee.I am busy all day with close interaction with doctors, nurses, management, patients, and general public. I order tests, supplies, maintain electronic file updates. I provide one on one patient care when required. My co-workers are supportive and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is that I need to find a way to supplement my income. The most enjoyable part of my day is the interaction I have with all levels of employees, patients and the general public.
Pros
Interaction with many different people.
Cons
The need to supplement my income due to being a single parent.
Positive and wonderful place to work. hardly and negatives.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2015
Wonderful co-workers. Always positive and supportive and willing to help me learn new things. Management was always wiling to help and support when I had difficult situations. The hardest part of the job was providing care to obese patients who were 100 kilograms or more. It was very strenuous on the back and all my muscles. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people who I worked with and seeing people go home healthy and well.
Pros
Great staff, pleasant and understanding management
Cons
Sometimes I had to do the work of 2 people when we were short staffed
Very productive,
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba1 June 2015
Get to work, have to change into the hospital scrubs.
Get on the floor put on hair net.as doing so say morning to the boss with a little talk.proceed into the work place greet everyone with a smile and a good morning. I find that my job is quite easy the hard part of my job is not having any contact with the public, I love to interact with people and here I don't get to do this only with my co-workers whom I get along great with.
Pros
Monday to Friday shift
Cons
We dont get any over time
Busy and fast paced work environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  View Royal, BC5 January 2016
A typical day at the hopsital includes dealing with patients records, assisting patients to their specific examining rooms, directing patients around the medical imaging ward (also the rest of the hospital if needed), and keeping a clean, safe, and positive environment for everyone. Co-workers are outstanding, hard working and make the environment more relaxing for everyone there. Really the hardest part of this job is keeping track of where each patient is headed and being able to send them in the correct direction and assisting them to the correct rooms. The most enjoyable part of volunteering at the Hopsital is being part of a very large team and having that interaction with others around you.
Very team orientated environment
HCA (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 March 2014
I aid patients in daily care, such as feeding and washing. I have learned a lot of patience from this job. Most of the co-workers are friendly and helpful. The hardest part of my job is seeing a patient I know isn't going to live much longer and their grieving families. I enjoy being able to help the patients with as much as they need and as much as I am able too.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours with physical work
great staff
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2017
Make sure Clinics are running successfully; tend to patients, responsible for filing confiden-tial paper work and able to prioritize and multi-task in a very high paced and high stake envi-ronment