Victoria General Hospital Employee Reviews

Old building, out-of-date nursing practices
Registered Nurse (FT-Temp) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 May 2018
Nursing practice is not up to speed there. The culture on the unit I was working on was pretty toxic. Hours/shifts and pay were consistent with union standards. Building is old and the re-circulated air gave me headaches.
Happy working at the Vic Great staff
LPN (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 April 2018
Glad to be there. Awesome schedule and great co workers. Lots of team work Cheerful Educational opportunities and adequate supplies. Management is approachable and reasonable and supportive
A balanced, educational workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 April 2018
invested in their employees, a very well rounded workplace that has much to offer. Educational experience and training, furthering education, competitive salary & benefits, job security.
Great workplace
Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 April 2018
Great workplace friendly environment fast pace always busy good food bus stops respectful union
Have to pay for parking and wear professional attire daily
Productive and fun
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 April 2018
Super team, with great staff! A true collaborative team environment. Great staff all around; they also offer a lot of in house training opportunities for staff to specialize and grow.
surgical unit very friendly including the manager
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2018
the surgical unit that no longer resides there was great. the staff were friendly supportive team players.the manager was easy to talk to and i'll miss him.
Excellent Company
4th Class Power Engineer / Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 February 2018
VIHA takes very good care of their employees. Although pay is not always competitive, they make up for it and more with their benefits. Management is very flexible.
Very clean and fun place to work
O.R technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2018
This is a place where you can spend your eight hours of work and learn many things at the same time. Staffs are friendly and supportive and also the management.
Hospital is a very clean place to work, you are able to interact with other staffs, patients and their family, Doctors and Nurses are friendly and that makes the work very easy and enjoyable.
great staff
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2017
Make sure Clinics are running successfully; tend to patients, responsible for filing confiden-tial paper work and able to prioritize and multi-task in a very high paced and high stake envi-ronment
my home
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 August 2017
i enjoyed my stay at this hospital. I really want to go back to the same team i worked with because they were so amzing. I love where i work now but VGH is still home
No nformation
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 June 2017
The rating of the job is excellent, the ideal setting for team work place in the area of staff and the environments. Working in this job setting is fun because its what I was trained to do, my passion.
Productive place of work.
Pharmacy Technician course practicum (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 June 2017
I did my practicum at the VGH, all the staff were very helpful, and accommodating, my first experience with IV, and TPN preparations was done by one of the pharmacist.
Pros
small pharmacy
Health Records at Victoria General Hospital
Health Record Technician (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 March 2017
Health Records is a highly physical and busy department.
There is a vast knowledge to have and learn throughout.
The staff for the most part are friendly and easy going which is good to have during a busy and productive day.
Productive and I enjoy working with the group
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 December 2016
I start with my day by doing our morning routines taking blood for morning blood works then after that Ill go to my respective area (like emergency dept or out patient)where I will take bllood from patients until afternoon. I learned how to deal with different people/patients especially patients who have different attitudes because of what they are experiencing at the moment they decide to be hopitalize.
I am a team player I can also help mu co workers who needs to be relieve for breaks. The most enjoyable part of our work is ending up servicing people who are in need of our help.
benefits
Cons
it takes long time to be a full time employee
good place
POWER ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 October 2016
Good place to work very relaxed but has a good structure to it. Most employees are very friendly and will help you when you need it. overall good place to start out
love working here
Casual Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 August 2016
I enjoy working on this hospital. They have a good ratings of hospital. People working here are very approachable and helpful.
Good learning place with cooperative staff
Physical Therapy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2016
Helped patients to cope with their limitations and daily activities
Assisted patients with their mobility aids and provided treatments with equipments like TENS,US, Laser etc.
Food Service Manger
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 July 2016
I was in charge of all daily paperwork, schedules, training, supervising, inventory, maintenance, ordering, shipping, receiving and banking.
I learnt that a cafeteria environment is much different in a hospital than a collage.
I didn't have much management supervision at this establishment I was on my own.
I had a staff of 20+ some days a challenge but most were smooth sailing. Everyone pretty much worked together and became a pretty good team.
Learning the computer program it was very hard but when I understood it it was great.
Pros
Learning to work in a new environment.
Cons
Lack of training on a new computer system.
Busy and fast paced work environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  View Royal, BC5 January 2016
A typical day at the hopsital includes dealing with patients records, assisting patients to their specific examining rooms, directing patients around the medical imaging ward (also the rest of the hospital if needed), and keeping a clean, safe, and positive environment for everyone. Co-workers are outstanding, hard working and make the environment more relaxing for everyone there. Really the hardest part of this job is keeping track of where each patient is headed and being able to send them in the correct direction and assisting them to the correct rooms. The most enjoyable part of volunteering at the Hopsital is being part of a very large team and having that interaction with others around you.
Very productive,
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba1 June 2015
Get to work, have to change into the hospital scrubs.
Get on the floor put on hair net.as doing so say morning to the boss with a little talk.proceed into the work place greet everyone with a smile and a good morning. I find that my job is quite easy the hard part of my job is not having any contact with the public, I love to interact with people and here I don't get to do this only with my co-workers whom I get along great with.
Pros
Monday to Friday shift
Cons
We dont get any over time