VICTORIA COOL AID SOCIETY

VICTORIA COOL AID SOCIETY Employee Reviews

Lots of autonomy and opportunities for training and learning. Vast job description and responsibilities..

This is not a job for the faint of heart. That being said, my overall experience has been a positive one. There are opportunities for growth on a daily basis. Very supportive Team Leaders and co-workers. I've learned not to reach out to management and to rely on my self and my co workers. I've been with Victoria Cool Aid Society in supportive housing for 9 years.

Pros

No micro management, lots of flexibility breaks and time for appointments. Management promotes self care.

Cons

Some buildings are extremely unsafe due and understaffed. This is a factor in staff having PTSD

Excellent place to work, lots of room for advancement.

Great place to work, lots of positive aspects. Clear working directions and autonomy. Team work and flexibility. Ability to complete tasks without feeling pressured.

Pros

Team atomasphere

Cons

None to think off

Very difficult place to work

It is a corporate culture that breeds contempt and unhealthy competition. Managers are absent, and when present have this blame the employee for everything attitude. NO managerial support and dangerous working conditions that see you exposed to various forms of smoke, abuse from management and clients. You spend a large portion of your shift navigating clients that are allowed to run roughshod over you and you have no recourse or manager that will stand up for you as an employee. The senior management are so disconnected from what is going on at the ground level, they will not even come to see what workers have to deal with on a daily basis, that we are treated as disposable employees. No attempt is made to listen and hear what is being said. Its all about making it easier for them, yet we as the workers on the ground doing the grunt work are ignored and treated like trash. No room for any form of generative discussions because no one would listen. Very punitive managers and human resource workers.

Health Services has its own unique culture within the organization

Been here almost 20 years. Great work environment with supportive team. Interdisciplinary team with acknowledgement of importance of each individual role.

All the negative reviews are accurate

Cool Aid is not a "great place to work", despite what they say on their job ads. If you spend any time with people who work in housing it doesn't take long to see how unhappy people are. It was rare to hear a positive comment about management or the company overall. It is a very negative environment. Management is completely out of touch with the front-line, possibly also out of touch with reality. The incompetence of management is appalling, it's hard to believe the organization is able to function at all. They are constantly hemorrhaging workers. They will hire pretty much anyone, some of the people who work there are lazy at best, harmful to coworkers and clients at worst. Pros: Money is better than similar organizations, some coworkers are great people, 12 hour shifts mean you only have to go three times a week. Cons: Management from the bottom to the top are almost comically bad at their jobs. They are also mean-spirited and compassionless. Workers are completely disposable. Clients can be very abusive, and management lets them get away with it. Beware if you are a person of colour, you will likely endure racial slurs. Also women staff put up with harassment. Some of the buildings are hazardous in several ways and you will likely be subjected to second hand smoke (cigarettes, meth, heroin etc.) Apply at own risk!

Miss Queens

I enjoyed my time at Cool Aid, I'm trying to get rehired presently, like working in the housing program end of it, working with some coworkers and a few team leads rbl, however, was awful.

Horrible Leadership

Management is incompetent, not trustworthy, and never held accountable for their many screwups. The CEO has blinders on and can't seem to see that the organization needs to stop expanding and instead focus on taking care of what currently exists. Buildings are unstaffed, staff are untrained and you are expected to do the job of at least two people. Work here and you risk getting PTSD.

Horrific

Masters at passive aggression, back stabbing, lying, manipulating where the CEO and Directors are so disconnected with clients, workers and general operations - if there were an award for for incompetence, plain negligence, nastiness in all levels of their work force, double speak - They would win hands down!

Like a roller coaster

Never know one day to the other how a manager will react to you. They lie and lie some more. Very two faced. Don't waste your time here. HR department is run by a crazy lady. To much negative vibes and bs all the time. Tenants over run the place and its unsafe.

Pros

other staff, sometimes

Cons

Lie Lie lie

Good for experience

A good place to gain experience, training and education working with marginalized sectors. A good place to build teams but also encourages initiative and creativity.

Jobs at VICTORIA COOL AID SOCIETY