VIA Rail logo
VIA Rail

VIA Rail Employee Reviews

Fun seeing different parts of Canada

Travelling was fun.Hours of operation per shift are hard on you.Sleep on train is impossible.Some layovers are worth the gruelling hours on train.The money is great and the benefits are reasonable .

Worst company ever

This company touts safety, yet when presented with issues scoffs.There are NO sick days.When you need to be home sick they make you feel like you are worthless.When you have family obligations, if your manager does not like you, good luck.When customers create issues because they do not like a company policy, the managers will take the passengers side and make the employees look like fools, even though the employee is following the directions of the company.There is no work/life balance.There is no advancement program beyond being a supervisor for most people.Save your mental health... look elsewhere.

Pros

Free Economy Pass for Employee / Spouse / Dependants

Cons

Long Thankless Hours.

Amazing WorkPlace

Via Rail is an amazing place to work, there is soo many supports to help you at work and even when dealing with challenges at home.They really look up to their employees when it comes to the support system.

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

Can be long hours sometimes

Terrible work environment

They make promises that never happen, lie about how good the pension and benefits are. Management has no idea how to run a company, shop, constantly micro manage you. They only send you to school for level 1 and level 2. The shop morale is terrible... Seemed like a good job but realized it's all a lie after. No overtime, just tell you what you want to hear. There just looking for cheap labor.

Cons

Don't finished your ticket, micro manage, terrible moral, bad benefit's, terrible pension.

Great Maintenance Centre

Really good place to work. The Supervisors do not micro manage, you're given a task and they let you do it your way. Lots of training available. The old way of doing things is almost gone, collaborative and team work is emphasized. When the trains are running at full capacity there is a lot of over time which can lead to a lot of money on top of your hourly rate.The maintenance center is a huge, clean facility with all the tools you could need. New tooling is constantly being bought for us.

Pros

Job security, boot allowance, tools, working in doors for the most part

Cons

Night shifts

What an experience!

Recently early retirement. Started in 1985 and had the most amazing 35 years one could ever imagine. Tough as heck at times,yes. full and complete balance of all life has to offer. Life leaning experiences not many get exposed to. Rock Star lifestyle often countered with intense workloads at time and so on. Soooo much to express but not enough space here. If you are a home body though and not an extrovert then I suggest run in the opposite direction as this is a life not for the faint of heart.

Pros

Too much to mention.

Cons

Hard on personal relationships if partner is insecure or the jealous type.

Employeur de choix!

J'adore travailler chez Via Rail, car je sens que je peux contribuer sur plusieurs projets de façon collaborative. Les gens sont passionnés et inclusifs.

Avantages sociaux concurrentiels et conciliation travail famille

Assurance collective et autres avantages sociaux concurrentiels.Rémunération très intéressante, basée sur l'expérience.Conciliation travail famille (politique d'horaire flexible et télé travail).Culture et valeurs de l'entreprise sont mises de l'avant.Environnement de travail dynamique et très agréable.Plusieurs beaux défis : Projets d'envergures seront implantés chez Via Rail d'ici les prochaines années.

Most dangerous place to work

Great interviewHowever between the person who hired meAnd the people who I was working for clearly had different opinion on what they wantedThe training team were not helpfulNeither were the on the job supervisors Management is not helpful or nurturing This is a dangerous place to work and I another using this term lightly They also put my life they're known lives and the passengers lives in danger because of they're own bureaucracy and blindnessDO NOT WORK FOR VIA

Pros

Money and leaving

Cons

Dangerous work culture

Terrible work environment

They make promises that never happen, lie about how good the pension and benefits are. Management has no idea how to run a company or a shop. They only send you to school for level 1 and level 2. The shop morale is terrible... Seemed like a good job but realized it's all a lie after. There just looking for cheap labor.

Jobs at VIA Rail

See more jobs

Fast paced but enjoyable!

Working here is a balance between fast paced and relaxed. During high travel seasons it gets busy, but in your off time, you can pretty much relax as long as you're visible to passengers and available to help if needed. Training is easy and everyone felt like family. Yes, it can be stressful at times, but what job isn't?

Pros

Amazing pay & benefits

Cons

lots of heavy lifting!

great benefits and basic salary

I ve been at ViaRail for almost 14 years.I work in the servicing area mainly emptying,filling and steriliizing water reservoirs under the trains frame for use in above areas such as kitchens and washrooms.There are also about a dozen other tasks atributed to the general worker position pertaining to the cleanlyness of the trains

Pros

Salary

Cons

graveyard shift

Easy work, Few benefits As a new hire no job security.

You might work 4 out of 8 hours. You learn what you want, the more you learn the more you can do. I got along with management, the people who like to whine do not. No real work place culture to speak of it's a government organization with government rules.The hardest part of the job is knowing no matter how hard you work it means nothing. There is nothing you can do to advance aside from wait for others to retire or quit.The sense of pride from knowing I did my job well.If you have a shift or position someone more senior to you wants they can take it. If your a better work the shift suffers, if you know more the shift suffers. If you were hopping to see your family you, and your family, suffer.The Union will work against you if it protects people senior to you.

Pros

High pay for the amount of work you do.

Cons

Seniority rules all. You will work night shift with Tuesday/Wednesday off for years.

Superbe expérience

J'ai adoré mon expérience en tant que stagiaire chez VIA Rail. Les stagiaires sont perçus comme des professionnels dans le milieu de travail et sont très impliqués dans les projets et les tâches quotidiennes qu'un professionnel a à accomplir durant sa journée.

Fun to work

Fun and fast past industry on wheel ....aw@y from home 🏡 tor 6-7 days in perfect nature for a few days ...beautiful life style of traveling 🧳 with co- worker and guest I love it 🥰

Bien

Beaucoup de changement horaire. Poste temporaire, mais Ă  temps plein

Environnement de travail agréable

L'environnement de travail chez VIA Rail est agréable. un travail de groupe pour résoudre tout types de problème.

Très intéressant.

J'ai apprécié travailler pour VIA Rail. L'apprentissage des intérêts de l'entreprise fût pour moi plus difficile. Je recommande cet employeur à quiconque.

Love the Via way

I worked at Via for 3 years but I was able to work in 3 different departments. I started on-board and really enjoyed my co-workers and the job. We were always up for a challenge. I then worked in station and that was totally different but still enjoyable. I learned to adapt to different situations and the importance of team work. I also had the chance to work in the office and that's where I enjoyed it the most. I felt I was one of the bridges between the employees and the bosses and I liked to create a positive atmosphere anytime I could.

Fast paced job environment

Bad workplace culture Night shift very heavy Hard physical job Job security very important I learned a lot from locomotives and trains cars Not sick days Social advantages and retired plan

Pros

good salary

Cons

Night shift heavy

good pay and good place to work

a good place to work if you can handle shifts, weekend and holidays get to know lots of local people, make you a people person very secured job but no advance future

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIA Rail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement