VIA Rail

VIA Rail Employee Reviews

Canada96 reviews
I worked at Via for 3 years but I was able to work in 3 different departments. I started on-board and really enjoyed my co-workers and the job. We were always up for a challenge. I then worked in station and that was totally different but still enjoyable. I learned to adapt to different situations and the importance of team work. I also had the chance to work in the office and that's where I enjoyed it the most. I felt I was one of the bridges between the employees and the bosses and I liked to create a positive atmosphere anytime I could.
J'ai adoré mon expérience en tant que stagiaire chez VIA Rail. Les stagiaires sont perçus comme des professionnels dans le milieu de travail et sont très impliqués dans les projets et les tâches quotidiennes qu'un professionnel a à accomplir durant sa journée.
Beaucoup de changement horaire.
Poste temporaire, mais à temps plein
L'environnement de travail chez VIA Rail est agréable. un travail de groupe pour résoudre tout types de problème.
J'ai apprécié travailler pour VIA Rail. L'apprentissage des intérêts de l'entreprise fût pour moi plus difficile. Je recommande cet employeur à quiconque.
Bad workplace culture
Night shift very heavy

Hard physical job

Job security very important

I learned a lot from locomotives and trains cars

Not sick days

Social advantages and retired plan
Pros
good salary
Cons
Night shift heavy
a good place to work if you can handle shifts, weekend and holidays
get to know lots of local people, make you a people person

very secured job but no advance future
good job good benefits long hours
every thing is by seniority

nice scenery

cool people working at via

nice to see all of canada

it is hard at first but gets easier when you get the hang of it
Each day is a new obstacle, which can be fun or challenging. It may say part-time but expect over 40-50 hours each week including weekends, nights and early mornings. Scheduling is all over the place, expect to receive your weekly schedule the day before each week starts
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, Scattered schedules, No time off, limited sunlight
Sell/serve food/refreshments
validate tickets

help passengers board

trains often delayed/break down

physical job

good for starters

same as steward/hostess job
i travel to different cities and meet new and exciting faces. Watching the scenery beats sitting behind a desk all day. The hours can be long at times but you are usually rested for a few days after a long trip.
I am a licenced auto mechanic. When I applied at Via Rail, they promised me great benefits, great pension, advancement. Training, and top read seal wages. First month was good. Then once I passed the Via in house training for Diesel engine mechanic. They put me on the wheel lathe for 2 months straight. Forced overtime, also threatened by supervisors if I refused to do overtime. Once my probation was done. I asked about signing up for school, I was advised they will not be sending me to school. I made a quick decision and left the company.
Remplacement de 2 mois qui a abouti vers un nouveau poste à contrat afin de soutenir l'équipe gestion des actifs
Horaire difficile
A bord des trains 2-3 nuits à l extérieur

Sur appel pour débuter
Le cadre de travail est professionnel, productif et stimulant.
Management -Questionable top down management often with no relevant experience. Upper management changes every 4- 8 years (election nepotism) resulting in inconsistent leadership.
Skewed system of arbitration. Impotent union.

Hardest part dealing with lazy colleagues defended by workers rights.

Enjoyable part reliable colleagues and satisfied customers.
De nombreux employés en dépression pour mauvais management ou bore out et désengagés
Nombreux exécutifs incompétents nommés par copinage

Peu d’evolution en interne

Beaucoup de consultants pour les postes les plus interessants

Peu de consultation des equipes par les manager , prise de decision incoherentes

Entreprise tres polique et décisions prises en fonction des affinités politiques

Grille salariale en dessous du marché
Pros
Equilibre vie famille et travail
Cons
Mauvais leadership et pas d’evolution
Bonne compagnie, projets de modernisation des installations pour le projet de la nouvelle flotte de train. Gestion du personnel entretien, des entrepreneurs externes et des plans et devis pour les nouvelles acquisitions. Forte participation à l’amélioration continue, revue de toutes les gammes d’entretiens préventives, gestion de projets pour les nouvelles acquisitions.
Pros
stimulant
Cons
appel de service
Terrible work environment. The mental harassment and verbal abuse is ridiculous. Management is racist and will always try to instill fear in you like high school bullies. I would have never taken the job if I knew what I know now. I recommend never taking the job no matter what the pay is or how bad you need it. They make you work ridiculous shifts with ridiculous minimal time off. The union is a joke and never fights for the workers. The pension is small and benefits are worthless. If you dont do overtime they will harass you and threaten your job and when you do it they never pay you correctly. You have to fight for everything and if they catch a whiff of rebellion they will put a target on your back no matter how good of an employee you are. I wrote this in hopes of saving another soul from this slave camp.
Some leaders are not aligned with the values of the company. If you are working for one of them, you'd better find your way out.
Many transformational projects and opportunities but for some few.

New President seems to be very good and people oriented. Hopefully she'll know what to do.
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
Very poor leadership, Leaders with poor values
Great company to work for! Positive, organized and provide a well structured training program. Competitive salary with good benefits. Fast paced and always exciting.