VHA Home HealthCare

VHA Home HealthCare Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Featured review
VHA Home HealthCare selected this as a representative review
VHA is an amazing place to work. From the CEO to the PSWs everyone works together to make everyone feel important and appreciated. Clients are great and working with the LHIN contacts was harmonious and team like.I LOVED working for this agency who knows that healthcare should be, not-for-profit and given in conjunction with the Patient and their family. The Sr. Mgmt. and Middle Mgrs. are supportive and truly care about their staff. The In-Office and Field Supervisors want staff to succeed and their clients to be cared for. Nurses, PSWs and Therapists are top notch. I could not recommend this Home Healthcare Agency more.
Pros
Genuinely a healthCARE company.
Cons
None, come to mind.
16 November 2020
Thank you for your review and we couldn't agree more that VHA is a wonderful place to work. Across VHA there is always a strong sense of teamwork, respect, and collaboration in delivering spectacular care for our clients. There is a great sense of pride in the work that we do, knowing that we make a big difference in our clients and families' lives. At VHA, we all care, support and appreciate one another, which is the foundation of our success and ability to deliver spectacular client service. Thanks again for your review and for sharing your amazing experience working at VHA.
SENIOR STAFF are very frustrated and everything and anything contributes to that frustration and thats how they get away with most of their dialogues. Clients are good. Coworkers are amazing. But typical fuelling and Politics is a part of every morning shift. Love to work here but stay outa the cribbing for the sane of your ears and your peace.
Pros
Downtime
Cons
Less staffing so a lot of pressure on others, no stable hours, senior staff gets hours cz they are friends with the supervisor.
31 August 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We would like to hear more about your concerns. At your earliest convenience please send an email to HR-inbox@vha.ca and an HR Manager will follow to discuss your issues and address them appropriately. Thank you.
VHA is a great company to work. They are very accommodative and support you. Got lot of help from my supervisors. Appreciate my time there. Great lace to work and grow.
31 August 2020
Thank you for your review and we couldn't agree more that VHA is a great place to work. We care about each other as much as we care about our clients. We have supervisors that are always available to help and we offer coaching, training and support for learning. Our people are the backbone of our business, driven by a shared purpose. Thanks again for your feedback.
as a home health worker you need to be patience and on time schedule,need to be aware what kind of client your dealing on a day,Learn to have positive attitude and most of all have fun even in stressful days.
Pros
very good supervisor on downtown Toronto
Cons
its hard to find parking in rush hour on this site job of downtown
12 August 2020
Thank you for your review. You did a great job summarizing some of the key qualities for a home healthcare worker. Patience, punctuality, positive attitude and passion for helping clients are absolutely essential to be successful as a care provider at VHA. Also to help our care providers be successful, as you mentioned VHA has great supervisors that listen to the concerns of their staff and treat everyone fairly. We are happy to hear that you love your supervisor because at VHA we strive to build strong relationships with our staff, clients and their families. Thanks again for your review.
I LEARNED -provide personal care and assisting with activities of daily living -demonstrate sensitivity, empathy and compassion -deal with persons with cognitive impairment and mental health issues -observing, recognizing and reporting changes in the client’s behaviour and conditions
Pros
Waste time on travelling
27 July 2020
Thank you for your review and for describing some of the duties that you performed in your role as a PSW. It is such meaningful work that has a tremendous impact on the lives of our clients and their families. We understand that inconveniences may arise when travelling from one client's home to another but our client services team works very hard to ensure this rarely happens by minimizing the distance to travel from home to home. Thanks again for your feedback.
VHA is a great company to work with. I liked working with the clients I met and learning about different cultures. However, I signed up to assist with personal hygiene care, but my coordinator was also assigning me house keeping work. When I complained, I was told that if I wanted hours, that is all they have. But I knew it was a lie. They have favourites and it is very bad. The negative aspect is the travel distance between clients if you don't drive and being sent outside of your catchment area. I signed on for work in the downtown Toronto but was being sent all over. The travel time between clients was ridiculous, as sometimes you didn't have sufficient time to get to your client on time. The coordinators often never listened.
Pros
You get to meet lots of different people and help those who need it most.
Cons
Being assigned a job that you did not signed on for.
27 July 2020
Thank you for your feedback and we agree VHA is a great place to work. I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with your coordinator and I wish you reached out to your HR Business Partner to resolve this matter because at VHA, our customer service center works very hard to minimize the travelling our PSWs do between one client's home to another. Thanks again for your review and all the best.
My experience with VHA was definitely rewarding, I had just graduated in 2014 from the PSW course and VHA was my first job I was field staff, I took care of clients from whites rd to Newcastle to Brookland, VHA threw me in many different situations I learned alot through my clients and was very grateful to be part of thier team. I felt at one point they were putting too much on me i
19 June 2020
Thank you for your response. We are happy to hear that your experience with VHA was rewarding. As a PSW, you do learn a lot each day interacting with clients and dealing with many different situations which makes the work very interesting and rewarding. All the best in the next step in your career and thank you for your feedback.
I really enjoyed the challenge in being introduced to a variety of different clients, different situations that i was thrown into, it gave me much experience as a new graduate. I was field staff and was new to Oshawa and i really got to know the Durham Region as i travelled from whites road to New Castle to Brookland to take care of my clients by vehicle. i really enjoyed working with my Palitive care clients who are at their end of life as i have compationate care and was honored to be able to lift their spirits in their last days. I learned so much from my senior clients, some lived through the war and were from different countries and shared their stories with me and i was grateful to learn of their history. I really enjoyed our annual christmas dinner that VHA treated us to at the Manderine chinese food restaurant. The hardest part of the job was when my clients life ended, its not always easy to not get close to our clients , however its sometimes hard when you get to know them for such a time as they become like your family. It was nice that the family invited me to their parents funerals to pay last respects as it made me feel part of their family and they had respect for me as well as a Personel Support Worker.
4 May 2020
Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear about your various experiences at VHA as a PSW and the positive impact you had on clients. Working in the community does provide our care providers with the exciting opportunity to work with a variety of clients and to build close meaningful relationships with them and their families. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
It was good until I hurt myself on the job. They did everything for you to quit which I fell for. The job is heavy some clients are terrible once they don't get their ways they will lie .
4 May 2020
I’m recommending this company for your future and your family. Fantastic benefits and competitive salary . You will enjoy working with the company due time flexibility.
4 May 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We agree that VHA offers great benefits and a competitive salary along with flexible schedules that many of our employees find very attractive. Thanks again for your review.
I would not recommend my friends to work at vha why but they not good u would be great somewhere else if you want a vacation you can get it they want you to work 365 days of the year with no vacation if they could but the next thing is hours it's suck 5 hours and 6 and if you luck 7 a day not all the time some time and u driving from here to their for what crazy
12 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are committed to addressing your concerns so please contact the Human Resources department ASAP at HR-inbox@vha.ca so that we can resolve these issues with you.
VHA is an excellent company where the support of the team is 100% continuous. They help you, they support you, they answer any questions immediately, the payment is timely and it seems you can grow professionally. The work is not complex, however it is a lot of responsibility and you must move from house to house. I think that the salary payment should be much better since in Toronto many personal caregivers are needed because of the high demand in this country. I also think that the cost of living in Toronto is very high. the only negative is that the salary should be better
4 May 2020
Thank you for your review. We agree that VHA is an excellent company to work for. At VHA, we offer competitive pay and benefits along with plenty of training and development opportunities for our employees to grow professionally. VHA has a culture where colleagues are always willing to help others and managers are always looking to fully support their teams, which makes it a great place to work. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
I find that this company lacks in a lot of management skills and doesn't listen to the front line workers ,they also cannot seem to be able to balance their employees work loads,they need more improvement to meet employees needs as well as the Clients
4 May 2020
Thank you for your review. At VHA, we are committed to listening to our front line workers therefore please contact the Human Resources department ASAP at HR-inbox@vha.ca so that we can resolve these issues with you.
The coordinators are very disorganized about scheduling, if you want to work 5 hours a day, your availability has to be at least 10-12 hours, they send you to a clients very far apart, and zero communication.
6 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. We absolutely want to ensure your concerns about travel and communication are addressed and I recommend that you speak with your Supervisor or Human Resources ASAP. VHA works very hard to ensure employees work within their assigned geographic areas and limit travel time between client visits to no more than 45 minutes. But we also know working in the community is different than working in a hospital or long term care facility. Please reach out so we can get this resolved for you. Regards.
VHA is a great company to work with, they are not one sided but they make sure too that clients are happy and satisfied with the service. Protects employees from any abuse in the working area, just hard sometimes to get a longer vacation, benefits is good helped me a lot as a single parent.
4 May 2020
Thank you for you feedback. Yes at VHA we are dedicated to ensuring our clients are happy and satisfied with our services because it’s the company’s vision to provide high quality care delivered with great heart for every person, every time, everywhere. And in providing these services to our clients, VHA ensures that our employees are fully supported by having policies in place that promote a work environment that is safe as well as programs such as our employee benefits that promote the health and wellness of our staff. These are just some of the policies and programs that we have in place that make VHA a great company to work for as you stated. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us.
The main issues for me was the lack of communication when it came to the actual clients health and abilities. Often you go in not knowing what to expect if its someone new. Also, part way through the day you can see on the blackberry that they have adjusted your schedule without you consenting and a new person is added to your day.
4 May 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. VHA is committed to providing spectacular care that is centered around the needs of our clients and their families, and delivered by our passionate and dedicated team of care providers and staff. Therefore, we absolutely want to ensure your concerns about communications and scheduling are addressed and I recommend that you speak with your Supervisor or Human Resources ASAP. Please reach out so we can get this resolved for you. Regards.
excellent comp coordinators were very helpful regarding the scheduling. Supervisors were very encouraging, advise on carrying tasks professionally.
19 June 2020
Thank you for your review. We agree that VHA has excellent compensation along with coordinators that are very helpful regarding PSWs scheduling. We also agree that our supervisors are encouraging and readily available to provide their staff with the support and advice they need to excel in their job. Thanks again for your review.
I have been with VHA for less than a year and it was such a nice experience. VHA like any other agencies both have positive and negative characteristic but in my personal experienced with them, i was able to have a work-life balance. My coordinator is very accommodating and understanding in all aspect, she will give you more hours as long as LHIN has hours for VHA clients. Thank you VHA for such awonderful PSW job experience.
4 May 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. At VHA, we strive to achieve work-life balance for our employees and our flexible schedules is one way we accomplish it. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful PSW job experience.
I learned how to work as a team, help my other co workers with the job. The most part I enjoyed about the job was helping the clients out which I found very rewarding.
19 June 2020
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear about your positive experience and not surprised by it because VHA puts a lot of emphasis on team work and collaboration. It's also not surprising that you found it very enjoyable and rewarding helping clients because at VHA we all share a passion to help our clients achieve greater independence and live life in comfort and dignity.
Typical work day included bathing, cleaning, cooking light meals and running some errands. Also taking clients to appointments. Met a lot of great clients and co-workers. Very supportive supervisors and management. Hardest part of the job is losing a client.
Working flexibility, they quickly response to the care team that are in the community and I like it beacuse VHA is supportive to employees training and education, and Very competitive salary and benefits.