VHA Home HealthCare
Happiness score is 64 out of 100

VHA Home HealthCare Employee Reviews

Canada155 reviews

Not bad.

Not bad to work. Flexible and accommodating work environment. It's okay to state your concerns and they will show you a way around it all. Some staffs care while some don't. That's expected tho.

7 September 2021
Thank you for your review. Yes VHA does have a very flexible and accommodating work environment as you mentioned. It is one of the many reasons why our staff love working here. Another reason is VHA is also a highly collaborative work place where we value and respect the opinions of our staff and we welcome them to express their concerns so that we can work together to solve them. Thanks again for your review.

Boring and repetitive

The healthcare in Canada is so messed up that it affects the work. Over worked and unpaid, unhappy staff and unhappy clients . Be prepared to work through lunch and break to finish the work.

30 November 2021
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you are not having a good experience therefore I recommend that you reach out to Human Resources so that they can address your concerns. At VHA, we treat all of our employees with the utmost respect. It is part of our DNA which is why in our last employee survey over 90% of our staff recommends VHA as a great place to work. Without question, being a healthcare organization and an essential service during a global pandemic, our staff are very busy but we would never have them work through lunch or their breaks because we know how important these moments are for staff to get refreshed and reenergized. During these Covid times, the pressure has increased across the entire healthcare sector but at VHA we support our staff and applaud how they have stepped up to continue to deliver spectacular service to the great satisfaction and happiness of their colleagues, clients and their families. At VHA, leading with purpose and providing better care to our clients and their families is what fuels all of us - from senior management to our front line staff. Thanks again for your review.

Fun place to work with flexible work arrangement

I work as casual social worker for VHA since 2018 and I find the organization is outstanding compare to its community counterparts in terms of its hourly pay and work flexibility . Most therapists are independent contractors and therefore have very flexible schedule which allow them to work in evenings and weekends. The only drawback is that TC LHIN has a HR policy that its care coordinators couldn't work for both LHIN and its contract companies/ community agencies. In general, I think VHA is a good company for therapists who like work in the community and want more flexibilities at work. If you want a 9-5 office job with a fixed salary and stable hours, then hospitals or LHIN may fit you better

Pros

competitive pay compare to other community agencies

Cons

no guaranteed work hours so it is only good for casual

17 November 2021
Thank you for your review and we couldn't agree more with you that VHA is a great place to work. As you mentioned, VHA offers very competitive hourly pay and lots of flexibility to accommodate people's busy schedules. It is one of the many things that our staff love about working at VHA. In addition to working in the community, VHA also has opportunities for staff to work in congregate settings including hospitals and retirement homes that are similar to a 9 to 5 job. Thanks again for your review.

Terrible

Just terrible, find another job, don't bother wasting your time. They'll chew you up and spit you out with no regard for your safety, mental health regard and comfort.

21 October 2021
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about your experience and I am also quite surprised by your comments because it is the exact opposite of what our employees told us in the most recent Work Life Employee Pulse survey. 89% of our staff were very happy with their Health and Safety at VHA. They overwhelmingly agreed that VHA is committed to the safety of their employees by ensuring that everyone has the proper PPE to do their job safely and that safety policies and procedures are clearly communicated across the entire company. VHA's commitment to their employees' health, safety and well being is a big reason why 88% of our employees would recommend working at VHA to a friend. Thanks again for your review.

Terribly management

Working with company many years. From beginning supervisors and management were fair and support, but now supervisors keeping change every year and become not support and understanding to staffs. When nurses and PSWs help company whenever it were asked, there was no thanks to you , no appreciated to you. They only focus on to cut your visits and giving you hard time, not worth to working the company any more.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Cut your visit

12 October 2021
Thank you for your review. At VHA we appreciate all of our nurses and healthcare providers and can't say thank you to them enough for all their hard work, especially over the past 2 years with the global pandemic. That is why your feedback is a bit of a surprise since at VHA we build bonds that matter and empower our staff everyday to deliver spectacular care. Also at VHA, we care about our staff as much as our clients and their families and as a result would never look to cut a visit. We would like to address your concerns immediately since VHA is committed to retaining their staff and resolving any issues they may have so please feel free to contact your HR Manager anytime at 416-280-8375 so we can resolve these issues to your satisfaction. Thank you.

Toxic

The field work is toxic specially when they give you new different clients everyday to handle and when you start building their trust they will just pull you out in that client again and give new one…must client complain is no permanent psw attendee,they get upset and that you have to deal with til you gain their trust.

Pros

Benefits and training and cert.(cpr, mask testing etc.), Ppe

Cons

Toxic and lack of coordination

31 August 2021
Thank you for your feedback. As you mentioned, VHA does offer great benefits and training and we always ensure our staff have the appropriate PPE to do their jobs safely because the health and wellness of our employees is of paramount importance to all of us at VHA. Regarding changes to your client case load, some of the reasons why this occurs are because the client's care plan may have changed or the client may have fully recovered from their illness that they no longer require care or the client may have needed to return to the hospital and so on. At VHA, we build bonds that matter because being great partners is at the core of who we are. VHA is made up of diverse, caring, committed people who truly want to help and love what they do. We forge strong bonds with each other. We build real relationships with our clients and their families. We care about our community partners. In every role and at every level, we’re passionate about providing spectacular care. Thank you for your review.

Best Home Healthcare company in Ontario

I love working here. Management is great. Supervisors are extremely supportive and genuinely care about their staff. Lots of training and development and opportunities for growth.

Pros

Interesting work. Supportive supervisors. Lots of training

24 May 2021
Thank you for your review. Across the company, from senior management to supervisors to front line staff to our clients, VHA is all about building bonds that last and empowering our employees. We building long lasting meaningful relationships with each other and with our clients, creating a family like atmosphere. It is one of the many reason why our employees love working at VHA. We also empower of our employees with extensive training and support so that they are confident in their knowledge and skills when delivering healthcare services out in the community. At VHA, we work hard to put our employees in a position to succeed because we know the company's success comes from our employees success. Thank you again for your review.

decent place to work wit

it’s busy most of the time, lots of clients and hours, my supervisor is amazing and all my clients are nice. i’m treating them as a family and they treating me really nice too. there’s just some slight negatives i can say: i wish the travel expenses can be compensated better, coordinators should coordinate with clients better and i wish pay could be little better too as this pandemic making us work overload everyday and is very tiring and stressful.

Pros

lots of hours, ppe supplies, supervisors are nice

Cons

coordinators can do better, less travel pay, distance between clients can sometimes little far, work can overload

24 May 2021
Thank you for your review and we couldn't agree more when you say VHA's supervisors are amazing and the clients are nice, so much so that it is like you are all a big family. That is one big reason why our employees love working at VHA - we build bonds that matter! Regarding travel pay and distance between clients, these are governed by our collective agreement with your union but the coordinators do try their best to limit the distance travelled between clients and it should not exceed 45 minutes. Thank you for your review and thank you for all your hard work during this pandemic. We understand it is an unprecedented stressful time and we can't thank you enough for providing care to clients who in many cases are extremely vulnerable. You are the true heroes in this pandemic so thank you, thank you, thank you!

Great Home care services

VHA takes care of its employees as well as their clients, I love the work/life balance. All staff are super friendly and there for you. VHA is where home health care is

15 February 2021
Thank you for your review. Being great partners is at the core of who we are. We forge strong bonds with each other. We build real relationships with our clients and their families. We care about our community partners. VHA is made up of diverse, caring, genuine people who truly want to help and love what they do. In every role and at every level, we’re passionate about providing spectacular care. Thanks again for your review.

Stressful place to work. High turnover rate. Get the experience you need then get out if you want to have a healthy state of mind.

Stressful place to work, management sets you up to fail. Employees are over worked under paid. Employees forced to do overtime. Feels like the scheduling coordinators are being slave-driven by management in this company. Office staff are being micro-managed and expected to complete tasks that take more than 6.5 hours per day. The only good thing I could say about VHA is that the relationships between the clients and staff are wonderful.

Pros

Wonderful working with clients and other office staff

Cons

Employees are over worked under paid. Employees forced to do overtime.

18 January 2021
Thank you for your review. We understand the Scheduling Coordinator role is a challenging one which is why we provide extensive training for this role as well as ongoing support from supervisors to ensure everyone is set up for success. Also the Scheduling Coordinator role is unionized therefore your pay and work hours are governed by the collective agreement which is negotiated by your union. I highly recommend that you reach out to your union steward to address your concerns and raise them to HR for further discussion and resolution. Thanks again for your review.

Loved working here! Learned a lot and my colleagues were really supportive. Management was fantastic and created a great place to work with a lot of learning opportunities and social events. One of my favourite places to work!

16 November 2020
Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your wonderful experience working at VHA. At VHA, we work hard to create a culture and work environment that energizes our employees, and this happens because of the caring, helpful and spectacular people that work here across all levels of the organization. We agree that VHA is a great place to work. The learning and growth opportunities are endless, the bonds forged with colleagues and clients are long lasting, and management takes a keen interest in the development of their staff. Just like you, these are reasons shared by many of our employees as to why they also love working here. Thanks again for your review.

great place

Had an amazing Boss! I had the opportunity to learn a great deal during my time at VHA. I'm thankful for every minute of it. My responsibilities were always changing which kept me on my toes I definitely was never bored.

Pros

freedom

Cons

no cons

1 November 2020
Thank you for your review. We agree that VHA is a great place to work because of the amazing managers and supervisors that work here as you mentioned. VHA also offers lots of opportunities for learning, growth and development which our employees value and greatly appreciate. Thanks again for your feedback

VHA is a wonderful place to work.

VHA is an amazing place to work. From the CEO to the PSWs everyone works together to make everyone feel important and appreciated. Clients are great and working with the LHIN contacts was harmonious and team like.I LOVED working for this agency who knows that healthcare should be, not-for-profit and given in conjunction with the Patient and their family. The Sr. Mgmt. and Middle Mgrs. are supportive and truly care about their staff. The In-Office and Field Supervisors want staff to succeed and their clients to be cared for. Nurses, PSWs and Therapists are top notch. I could not recommend this Home Healthcare Agency more.

Pros

Genuinely a healthCARE company.

Cons

None, come to mind.

16 November 2020
Thank you for your review and we couldn't agree more that VHA is a wonderful place to work. Across VHA there is always a strong sense of teamwork, respect, and collaboration in delivering spectacular care for our clients. There is a great sense of pride in the work that we do, knowing that we make a big difference in our clients and families' lives. At VHA, we all care, support and appreciate one another, which is the foundation of our success and ability to deliver spectacular client service. Thanks again for your review and for sharing your amazing experience working at VHA.

Do not work here- toxic

Management and CSC leadership is terrible. Constant micromanagement, toxic environment,The part-time schedule is done so that you are only available to VHA, no life and cannot get another job. Unhealthy work-life balance. Employers does not care about their employees AT ALL.

Pros

Work from home and even now than doesn't help the toxic situation.

Cons

Poor environment and management. Worst scheduling, micromanagement. Toxic environment.

16 November 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to hear more about your concerns so that we can help you and make things better. At your earliest convenience please send an email to HR-inbox@vha.ca and an HR Manager will follow to discuss your issues and address them appropriately. Thank you.

Toxic environment

I was working there in 2016, very toxic environment. Messy management , just put pressure on the coordinators and health care providers to cover up all the patients they accept without enough men force.I lasted there as a coordinator for 3 months and I was the 3rd person who left the position before even finishing the probation time

19 October 2020
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear about your experience 4 years ago in 2016 and I wish you had reached out to Human Resources to express your concerns at that time. The work environment in the Customer Service Centre and overall at VHA is one of respect, collaboration, inclusiveness and teamwork. In fact many of our employees, both past and present, mention the great bonds they form at VHA with their colleagues and clients. Thank you again for your feedback

Its fun to work at VHA in Community or Home base on my experience

Working at VHA its very good specially if you’re looking for benifits. for a full time worker... it’s really helpful to work in the Company if you have benifits like health , Dental and more...

9 September 2020
Thank you for your review. We agree that VHA is a great place to work and offer a total compensation package including health and dental benefits that are very competitive and attractive to our employees. Thanks again for your feedback.

Not a different place

SENIOR STAFF are very frustrated and everything and anything contributes to that frustration and thats how they get away with most of their dialogues. Clients are good. Coworkers are amazing. But typical fuelling and Politics is a part of every morning shift. Love to work here but stay outa the cribbing for the sane of your ears and your peace.

Pros

Downtime

Cons

Less staffing so a lot of pressure on others, no stable hours, senior staff gets hours cz they are friends with the supervisor.

31 August 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We would like to hear more about your concerns. At your earliest convenience please send an email to HR-inbox@vha.ca and an HR Manager will follow to discuss your issues and address them appropriately. Thank you.

Fun place to work.

VHA is a great company to work. They are very accommodative and support you. Got lot of help from my supervisors. Appreciate my time there. Great lace to work and grow.

31 August 2020
Thank you for your review and we couldn't agree more that VHA is a great place to work. We care about each other as much as we care about our clients. We have supervisors that are always available to help and we offer coaching, training and support for learning. Our people are the backbone of our business, driven by a shared purpose. Thanks again for your feedback.

Love the supervisor treat you fairly and listen to your concerns

as a home health worker you need to be patience and on time schedule,need to be aware what kind of client your dealing on a day,Learn to have positive attitude and most of all have fun even in stressful days.

Pros

very good supervisor on downtown Toronto

Cons

its hard to find parking in rush hour on this site job of downtown

12 August 2020
Thank you for your review. You did a great job summarizing some of the key qualities for a home healthcare worker. Patience, punctuality, positive attitude and passion for helping clients are absolutely essential to be successful as a care provider at VHA. Also to help our care providers be successful, as you mentioned VHA has great supervisors that listen to the concerns of their staff and treat everyone fairly. We are happy to hear that you love your supervisor because at VHA we strive to build strong relationships with our staff, clients and their families. Thanks again for your review.

great work culture- but under pays their staff

great work culture, very good team. however they do not provide appropriate compensation for their staff- everyone complained about getting underpaid.

12 August 2020
Thank you for your review. VHA does have a great work culture and we agree that the HR team is very good. In fact, the HR team has been selected as a Finalist for the 2020 Canadian HR Team of the Year award because of all the great work they do. In return, they enjoy market competitive pay and benefits along with other attractive features that make up their total compensation. It's for these reasons along with others why our turnover is lower than the industry average. Once again, thank you for your review.

Is a canadian company with benefits

I LEARNED -provide personal care and assisting with activities of daily living -demonstrate sensitivity, empathy and compassion -deal with persons with cognitive impairment and mental health issues -observing, recognizing and reporting changes in the client’s behaviour and conditions

Pros

Waste time on travelling

27 July 2020
Thank you for your review and for describing some of the duties that you performed in your role as a PSW. It is such meaningful work that has a tremendous impact on the lives of our clients and their families. We understand that inconveniences may arise when travelling from one client's home to another but our client services team works very hard to ensure this rarely happens by minimizing the distance to travel from home to home. Thanks again for your feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VHA Home HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement