VHA HOME HEALTHCARE Employee Reviews

A typical day at work
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON9 November 2018
A typical day at work with VHA consisted of daily personal care for clients. Care consisted of preparing meals, feeding and changes said clients.
bad
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2018
I work 20 years and they drop me, they give me 2 or 3 hours a day and so many gaps between one case to another, no respected my seniority, workers will deal with a new coordinator every day because they keep quitting.
5 December 2018

We would very much like to speak with you and resolve your concerns regarding your work schedule. Please email humanresources@vha.ca so that we can continue this conversation offline.

Regards,
Kelley Myers, VP Human Resources and Organizational Development

Palliative visiting RPN (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON1 November 2018
Very good place to work when you have young kids, sometimes it can be stressful balancing between the two but with a great team lots of support given and time off given. Working hours up and down but it’s good to have that break in between to breath a little and get a fresh start with new clients. Great being part of One on one care with clients and families at their end stage.
Temporary Project-based job
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON15 June 2018
I enjoyed my three months working with VHA, as the work I was called to do was interesting and challenging, and the VHA staff I worked with were supportive of my role and appreciative of the skills I brought to my assignment.
Like Hicking, Soccer,Swiming,Playing Cards, Backgammon & Chess
Registered Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  York Region14 June 2018
Case load depends on season and conditions. Its great learning and dealing with different clients. It involves traveling and must put extra time to manage.
Great workplace
PSW (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
Amazing workplace. My problem was commute, due to the fact that I don't drive. Sometimes you travel an hour to work for half an hour and then up and leave again.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
travel was hard without a vehicle
Home Visited
Visited clients their home to assist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 April 2018
Visited clients their home to assist.
Moved, and helped in moving, office fixtures and equipment’s
Excellent time management and organizational skills
Productive and active place of work
RN (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 February 2018
VHA Home Healthcare is an active and productive place to work because it gives you the opportunity for flexibility and one on one patient care with families.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
hours not secured
Poor hours
Psw (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON22 January 2018
I work here full time working 6 days a week but not getting hours I'm lucky to get 25 hours a week in 6 day period other than poor hours the work is great.
Great company but fast paced and stressful job
Health Services Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2018
Very happy to be a part of the VHA team. It can be very rewarding but also very stressful and challenging at times. Never a dull moment, always busy which makes the day fly by. However, expect to work overtime to get all your work done. Both pros and cons with statutory holidays, the company is open 365 so prepare to work on holidays if you're part time and new. But the pay and benefits and other perks of the job are better than expected. There's a lot of changes that still need to be made to make the job more efficient for all staff but I'm excited to see what the future holds.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, nice work environment
Cons
Working holidays, long hours, no parking
great opportunity to help people
Full-time/Part-time (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON9 January 2018
loved being able to help people, very frustrating not knowing your schedule in advance, poor communication between staff and office/management. hard when a client passes away as you do get very attached to them. They become like family. Very rewarding job.
Very long hours and clients far in between. Too much time spent travelling.
PSW (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2017
I dislike very much working with VHA. Your availability has to be atleast 16-18 hours for you to work 8 hours. They send you all over the place even outside of your area. The clients most of them wants a housekeeper not a PSW. They ask you to vacuum their rugs, wash their bathroom, sweep and mop their floors, empty their garbage and wash their dishes etc. The coordinators are very dis-organized about scheduling. You have to be constantly checking your phone for updates while doing all that travelling in between clients. You don’t get enough travel time in between clients when you have to take the bus and train. I would not recommend this job to someone who doesn’t drive.
15 December 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear your experience was less than ideal. At the moment we are working very hard to improve scheduling and location issues by implementing new technology that will help to optimize PSW schedules and reduce travel time—a struggle for everyone in the home care industry. We expect this new system will reduce some of the scheduling challenges for both PSWs and Co-ordinators. As for your insights about PSW duties—part (though not all) of a PSW’s role is to do some light household duties in addition to personal care. These duties have actually been shown in studies to be critically important in helping seniors and those who are ill or disabled remain in their homes.

productive and fun to work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2017
VHA Is a very great company that offers its employees great opportunities. the hardest part is when you dont get enough shift, besides that the supervisory team is awesome and great attitude
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2017
Jobs at VHA Home Healthcare are flexible. One have the opportunity to work one-on-one with the clients you are supporting. Each time you have a new clients with specialized care you get on the job training for that particular client.
Pros
VHA Home Healthcare is unionlized
Cons
Good
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2017
Not enough work for the hours that you are available
Too far between clients
Employee telephone lines always busy
Great pay and benefits
Unionized
Training
Friendly staff (some)
Organized
Stressful and overworked
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2017
There is no work life balance. Your over worked and under paid and have to do overtime 3 to 4 times a week. They say they are trying to fix that but seems highly unlikely. Very stressful enviroment and because of this there is a high turnover.
Cons
Long hours stressful highpace and demanding.
enriching
Client Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2017
i attend the office essentially for meetings and to pick up equipments for my vocation which takes up on site in the community. The visit to the office is always exciting due to the staff there. They are welcoming and helpful.
a very good company
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2017
VHA Home Health Care is not only an agency that care for their clients but also to their employees. They treat us like a family and always been appreciated for a job well done. Seminars and Training were done so that the employees will be updated on the new tools and technology being used in the health care services. Mandatory Team were being held every 3 months (2 hrs), attendees is being paid with free foods and refreshments. The workplace culture is so diverse like everyone is well represented. I;m proud working for VHA as they are one of the top agency in Canada.
Toxic
RN (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 May 2017
The nursing and office staff are still amazing, but management needs a house cleaning. no support for new nurses basic training in a job where you are alone all the time. Coworkers will assist if possible.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, lack of real support, lowest paid nurses, no benefits no union no voice no ears listening to the masses.
Working here more demanding that it is worth
RPN (Former Employee) –  Erie St. Clair14 March 2017
VHA Erie St. Clair I'd always looking for nurses and will hire any one reguardless of experience. Training is minimal. Little support when doing client calls. Required to do self learning when you have questions ie your nursing text book or the internet. Lots of aftercare paperwork that will eat into your personal time. Pay does not compensate for time spent working. Mileage coverage is adequate but nurse is required to drive 200 plus kms in a day. No management support. Other employees will support if it is convenient and they have time otherwise you are on your own.
4 April 2017

We’re sorry to hear that you had a less than great experience working at VHA. We are looking into the issues you raised but would also appreciate connecting with you directly to learn more about how we can do a better job of supporting our nurses.

Sincerely,

Kelley Myers
VP Human Resources and Organization Development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VHA HOME HEALTHCARE. Our community is ready to answer.