Veterans Affairs Canada

Veterans Affairs Canada Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews
Thoroughly enjoy the one on one interaction and interview process with Veterans in their home setting . The ability to connect with the person in a way to make accurate recommendations in a comfortable situation for them is very rewarding !
I've held a couple of student positions at VAC. I work with great people who are all really passionate, which is great. However, in the Field Ops department, it can be really stressful and you have a lot on your plate (especially Case Managers). Further, management isn't always the greatest, especially in smaller offices. I've had the opportunity to do telework and to travel, which has been phenomenal. Their student wages are also so much better than any other student positions.
Pros
wages, teamwork, remote work
Cons
management not always available
My role was pretty tedious, but overall it was a good experience where I learned the inner-workings of an office. I did a lot of the same things day-to-day and had consistent responsibilities. I found myself bored most days, but for a student position I wasn't very surprised.
Management is very helpful and professional. I work casual part time.
I enjoy all the clients I meet. This is a very flexible job that can be a second job.
The workplace culture is very bad in many areas of the Department as opportunities are usually given based on connections such as family, rather than on work ethics and knowledge.
Pros
pay
Cons
workplace culture
Strict highly critical, even trifling expectations from management re: workload, inspite of having no standards for #s of cases/ CM; ++ administrative
I enjoy supporting Canadian Veterans young and old. I enjoy learning new policy and procedures that immediately effect Canadian Veterans. I enjoy being helpful.
I was responsible for setting up appointments, doing up doctor reports, setting up appointments with other medical fields needed. Interesting job and very rewarding
Pros
working with veterans
A wonderful place to work with great management and the ability to deal and honour our Veterans who have served our country so faithfully. I was able to fulfill my desire to work in such an environment and it allowed me to travel to various locations throughout Southern Ontario whilst doing so. I loved meeting the new clients, but moreover I loved being able to help them access many benefits that VAC allows them.
Pros
Great job, great benefits and great clients
Cons
A very busy client load.
Would have liked to stay but my contract expired. I would go back anytime. The salary was great, I could choose my own hours and go for lunch whenever I felt like it.
Pros
NIce relaxed atmosphere, my supervisor was very easy to talk to, I never felt that un welcomed in that office, great staff.
Cons
A bit difficult to do HR work when the head office is in another city across Canada.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Veterans Affairs Canada?
For the most part I really enjoyed working at Veteran's Affairs. I enjoyed being part of the team, helping clients, and this was my first exposure to medical office administration. I enjoyed learning the new skills, but the job was split 50/50 paramedical assistant and receptionist/office administration. It was a frustration that the paramedical was expected to cover the receptionist duties but the receptionist did not have the skills to cover paramedical duties.

Working as a public servant is very different from working in the private sector. Percs such as bonuses, paid lunches or outings, team building events are practically non-existent in public service as the focus is to limit spending of tax-payer dollars to absolute necessities within the office. Within the office I worked, staff has to pay for parking, there is no subsidy available, and some staff parked quite a distance away to get cheaper parking.
Pros
No overtime, workday rarely exceeds core hours
Cons
outdated computer equipment and programs, Phoenix pay system is a mess
Good, overall. Environment is good. Management and staff is good. Overall office space is good. Great benefits and good salary. Overall pleasant and good working environment.
learned how to help veterans by sending them the documents they need.
the most enjoyable was to work with great and friendly people.

the hours were great as they were 8:30 to 5.
Pros
brand new building.
Cons
A/C was too cold
If you were a casual, student or lower level position, the should-be retirees made you feel as if you were lower than them. Understaffed and poorly managed units made for difficulty improving and advancing in the company. Phoenix pay system was a constant issue.
Pros
Great Wage
Seeing veterans every day was a very humbeling experience.

Staff was very nice, environment was enjoyable and productive.

We had regular mandatory training to keep our working knowledge up to date. As well as group activities to build team spirit.

Management was always accessible and open to comments and new ideas to improve operations.
Pros
continuous training
Cons
n/a
Working at Veterans Affairs Canada was a real treat. Everybody was so friendly and the respect for employees was really felt by everyone. Everyone was treated with care.
As a Masters student a typical day involves a great amount of study and the ability to efficiently utilise the time at hand. In this environment one has to plan carefully and leave nothing to the last moment. Last moment actions are rarely productive and only serve as a platform for bad stress. As a whole the diversity of the student population is refreshing, and brings enjoyment to my studies.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Your responsibilities in the IT department are to build new tools to improve the speed and reliability of the work done by other departments. You also maintain and support existing applications.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Contract Work
Working at Veterans Affairs Canada is terrific in many ways: great management team-very supportive, allows flexibility in client assessment. Self directed work.
Pros
work load is such that time is allowed for in depth interviews of family and Veterans
Cons
no chance for advancement, would like to see more clients, no chance to follow up after assessment
Just followed reciped with no creativity involved.
ingrediants all measured out in advance. not exciting.

Salary was very good and very competative.....
Management is lacking leadership, vision, and communication. Co-workers are great, doing the best they can with what they have. Electronic/Computer systems are a source of severe frustration.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Veterans Affairs Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2