Veterans Affairs Canada Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 September 2018
A wonderful place to work with great management and the ability to deal and honour our Veterans who have served our country so faithfully. I was able to fulfill my desire to work in such an environment and it allowed me to travel to various locations throughout Southern Ontario whilst doing so. I loved meeting the new clients, but moreover I loved being able to help them access many benefits that VAC allows them.
Pros
Great job, great benefits and great clients
Cons
A very busy client load.
Nice paying job, not too stressful. I could choose my own hours of work.
Executive Assistant, Corporate Secretariat (Former Employee) –  Ottawa ON15 August 2018
Would have liked to stay but my contract expired. I would go back anytime. The salary was great, I could choose my own hours and go for lunch whenever I felt like it.
Pros
NIce relaxed atmosphere, my supervisor was very easy to talk to, I never felt that un welcomed in that office, great staff.
Cons
A bit difficult to do HR work when the head office is in another city across Canada.
Very different from working in the private sector
Paramedical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 January 2018
For the most part I really enjoyed working at Veteran's Affairs. I enjoyed being part of the team, helping clients, and this was my first exposure to medical office administration. I enjoyed learning the new skills, but the job was split 50/50 paramedical assistant and receptionist/office administration. It was a frustration that the paramedical was expected to cover the receptionist duties but the receptionist did not have the skills to cover paramedical duties.

Working as a public servant is very different from working in the private sector. Percs such as bonuses, paid lunches or outings, team building events are practically non-existent in public service as the focus is to limit spending of tax-payer dollars to absolute necessities within the office. Within the office I worked, staff has to pay for parking, there is no subsidy available, and some staff parked quite a distance away to get cheaper parking.
Pros
No overtime, workday rarely exceeds core hours
Cons
outdated computer equipment and programs, Phoenix pay system is a mess
helping war veterans
Summer Student Employment (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON21 September 2017
learned how to help veterans by sending them the documents they need.
the most enjoyable was to work with great and friendly people.
the hours were great as they were 8:30 to 5.
Pros
brand new building.
Cons
A/C was too cold
Clique Culture
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE8 September 2017
If you were a casual, student or lower level position, the should-be retirees made you feel as if you were lower than them. Understaffed and poorly managed units made for difficulty improving and advancing in the company. Phoenix pay system was a constant issue.
Pros
Great Wage
well organized and relaxed environment
Clerical Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2017
Working at Veterans Affairs Canada was a real treat. Everybody was so friendly and the respect for employees was really felt by everyone. Everyone was treated with care.
VAC is not there to help the veteran
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 June 2017
As a Masters student a typical day involves a great amount of study and the ability to efficiently utilise the time at hand. In this environment one has to plan carefully and leave nothing to the last moment. Last moment actions are rarely productive and only serve as a platform for bad stress. As a whole the diversity of the student population is refreshing, and brings enjoyment to my studies.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Productive Environment Providing Veterans With The Tools They Need
Computer Programmer (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE6 April 2017
Your responsibilities in the IT department are to build new tools to improve the speed and reliability of the work done by other departments. You also maintain and support existing applications.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Contract Work
Great autonomy, allows for self directed work, management team is excellent
EXTERNAL NURSE ASSESSOR (P/T) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
Working at Veterans Affairs Canada is terrific in many ways: great management team-very supportive, allows flexibility in client assessment. Self directed work.
Pros
work load is such that time is allowed for in depth interviews of family and Veterans
Cons
no chance for advancement, would like to see more clients, no chance to follow up after assessment
No creativity
Cook (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC20 January 2017
Just followed reciped with no creativity involved.
ingrediants all measured out in advance. not exciting.
Salary was very good and very competative.....

Want to know more about Veterans Affairs Canada?

Ask a question
Problems start at the top
HR Manager / Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 September 2016
Management is lacking leadership, vision, and communication. Co-workers are great, doing the best they can with what they have. Electronic/Computer systems are a source of severe frustration.
Loved watching the veterans sing and dance to the oldies!!!
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ste-Anne-de- Bellevue1 September 2016
The most enjoyable part of my day was seeing the smiles of the patients when they were given there morning coffee along with there newspapers
Pros
We were very fortunate to be given the opportuntie to further our skills .
Cons
Transition from Federal to Provincial
A workplace full of dedicated employees.
Financial Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE7 June 2015
The department was a good place to work and the people were dedicated to the departmental goal of helping the veterans. All the functions in which I was involved, from managing Veterans Trust Accounts to implementing systems, required interaction for many areas of the department and good communication was a requirement second to none. Management was for the most part responsive and supportive of the needs of those employees who in one way or another were there for the Veteran. I was lucky in the fact that my Co-workers, no matter where I worked were easy to work with and conscientious. The hardest part of the work was getting consensus from various groups as they working in different areas, from District Offices to Head Office had a vast array of what was their major focal point of their work and to whom they reported. At the end of the day you could always remember those that you were able to help or serve and those that you rubbed shoulders with to get a job done.
Pros
Work Home balance
Cons
Too much reorganization
Productive and enjoyable tasks
Income Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake ON9 April 2015
An incredible feeling of satisfaction serving war Veterans and their spouses and dependents.

Learned about VAC service and program eligibility and what WWII, Korean Conflict and recently released or still serving CF members went/go through.

Reviewed and adjudicated various geared-to-income applications.

Maintained client accounts. Processed seasonal and annual projects to verify continued eligibility.

Very busy workload (by alphabet).
Pros
Serving Veterans, job security
Enjoyed the employees
YMCA Internship Program (Contract Full-time) (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 February 2015
I enjoyed working at Veterans Affairs Canada. It was a great experience getting to know the veterans who came into the office. I learned a lot from their past and very much respected their loyalty and strength for what they did for our country. I enjoyed working with the employee who had it in their heart to serve and help their clients.
Pros
Going for walks during your lunch
Cons
N/a
Great place to work representing Canada on an international scale.
Senior Student Guide (Former Employee) –  Canadian National Memorial - Vimy Ridge, France23 February 2015
As a Student Guide, you work as a tour guide, interpreting Canada's military history from the First World War. Teaching visitors from all over the world about Canada's exploits and achievements during that period. Working alongside other Canadian university students in a bilingual (english/french) environment is a lot of fun. The joy of teaching visitors something new about Canada is a remarkable experience. Time management and great customer service are essential in order to ensure the operation of the site runs smoothly.
Pros
Great experience abroad, makes you proud to be Canadian, leadership and teamwork skills learned, public speaking skills improved
Cons
Far from home (living in France)
A challenging position
District Manager, Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 November 2014
Typical day at work was first thing in the morning; checking for any voice mails, emails that needed direction/information. Work on incoming and outgoing of invoices which included data entering into a database system called Freebalance. Weekly conferences calls with management. Monthly calls with Finance.

I learned a lot during my time with the Veterans Affairs Canada This was a more challenging position where I was part of a Management Team.

A couple of co-workers were not easy to deal with, Worked through some various and interesting situations.

I would train and or discuss when necessary any new updates and procedures that were required with all staff. I kept track and approved all types of leave with Admin employee's leave entitlements on a database.

The most enjoyable part was working for a great Business Leader and the team of Managers.

The hardest part of the job was when we found out that our office was being closed. This meant dealing with various staff issues regarding how people were dealing with this process.

Dealing with Senior staff that did not seem to have a grasp on what was needed in our offices in Saskatchewan.
Pros
flexible hours, good benefits
Cons
some long hours throughout the year
fun and amazing
Administrative Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2014
government job
security
future advancement
making decisions -hardest part
Pros
free lunches
Cons
I would not recommend working for this department.
Client Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, British Columbia9 April 2014
The department is very politically driven. Government officials make drastic changes without consulting staff who work with the programs and policies being changed. Many times staff hear about changes to the programs and services from clients as political promises have been publicly announced without consultation. There have been so many recent changes which have not worked and have cost tax payers millions of dollars. Clients are not the priority with this department. Saving money is the primary departmental goal. This department has the highest usage of sick days in the Federal Government due to employee burnout. Managers do not lead their staff but cater to senior politicians. Staff genuinely care about their clients however, they do not have the time to provide exemplary client service. Governmental statisticians have set strict performance goals, which are closely monitored, which hinder employees from having the time to care for their ill, injured and elderly clients. Staff are so very overworked and unhappy that it is common to hear "toxic environment" being used frequently when describing the atmosphere in the district offices.
Pros
Good salary and benefits.
Cons
Not a positive work environment.
Excellent working with veterans.
NURSING INSURANCE ASSESSOR (Former Employee) –  DEPARTMENT OF VETERAN AFFAIRS IN OTTAWA CANADA.13 December 2013
Assessing the needs of Veterans requiring assistance. Assessed Cognitive & Physical health, Determine cost of needs to level of ability.
Pros
Clients always showed appreciation.
Cons
Too much traveling.