Vertex Resource Group Ltd. Employee Reviews

Co workers are great but vertex Hydrovac Leduc management is horrible
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB4 April 2019
On call 24/7 you basically have to have no life. Family? Loved ones? Family emergency? They don’t care. Avoid this place at all costs. Worst experience ever
Pros
Non
Cons
Bad management with HR that tolerates abusive managers
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Valleyview, AB3 April 2019
They don't give raises unless you beg for them, and even then your chances are low.
If you have problems with the abusive management, don't complain to HR or you'll get "laid off"
No job security as you're always looking over your shoulder, especially if you're a female.
Constantly breaking DOT laws and labor laws.
Stay away! Unless it's something to float you while you keep looking for work.
Cons
Bad management, low pay, breaks laws, gender biased and discriminatory
Hydrovac operator
Operator (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB24 March 2019
Junk trucks, no rotation, on call 24-7, will tell you to be creative with your log books lol. This place is a stopover until you find something better.
Hydrovac division
Hydrovac operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2019
The hydrovac division for this company is absolutely pathetic. The manager and dispatcher play favourites between a few guys. So a couple guys will get 100 hours in a pay check and some will only get 20. Equipment is good I will give them that but the overall atmosphere is toxic. Being told to shred log books so you can work longer hours and being told it’s work firstvfamily second. Highly recommend to steer as far away as possible from these guys. They go through 10 operators a month for a reason.
Pros
Good equipment
Cons
Horrible management
Overall a good company to work for.
Shop Foreman - Rentals and Fluid Division (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB6 March 2019
Vertex was a good company to work for but unfortunately due to the company downsizing there was a massive layoff.I enjoyed the daily challenges of the job.
Great People, Growth Opportunity and enjoyable environment!
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB14 February 2019
I have enjoyed my time with Vertex Resource Group Ltd. very much. My co-workers and manager(s) are all excellent people. We enjoy each others company throughout the day and can balance a good laugh while we all get our work done.

Executive Management is friendly, innovative and open to suggestions for growth and change to support their employees.

Workplace culture is an ever changing work in progress no matter where you work. We have a great social committee and there is always something going on each month for the employees to enjoy.
Pros
Great people, opportunity to advance, multiple locations, innovative and hard working employees and managers.
Cons
Better communication, more training/professional development for managers
Poor Management Team
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC4 February 2019
Managers on the environmental side of the business lack knowledge, leadership skills, compassion and overall have bad people skills. Slaved away for Vertex for 18 months, putting in 70+ hour weeks for weeks on end, not even sure I got a "thanks for your hard work".

When I left and interviewed with competitors the competitors often referred to Vertex as a "Rookie Mill" ...It's a great place to start your career but most people don't spend more than a couple years there. Get some experience and get out. Or find a better company...won't be hard
Pros
Lots of hours means lots of money
Cons
Bad managers, unfulfilling work, no schedule.
Don’t work here unless you need a foot in the industry.
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB19 January 2019
Vertex is a poorly managed company. They have hired probably 80 people since I started. So many people are either fired or quit almost every week. If you want to survive in the company go in and keep your head down. They work you to the bone and will threaten you with termination if you complain because they get 100s of applications a week. Would never recommend this company to anyone I know. Also give you no sense of a schedule and are willing to send you for 24 days out of town with hours notice and no information about work conditions or living conditions.
Pros
Tons of out of town work
Cons
Poor management, Poor benefits, No RSP program
Poorly run Company
Lead Hand/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calmar, AB18 September 2018
This company is poorly run. Everyone in the office doesn't know what they are doing and when anything goes wrong they throw everyone under the bus. They will work you like crazy and ask you to do everything but if anything goes wrong your the first to be throw under a bus. The atmosphere is all about backstabbing and talking behind everyones back. Great employees dont stay here long and find better jobs fast.

Don't expect a raise or anything that is close to industry standard for wages. They dont pay any LOA for out of town work and expect you to stay in shacks that usually have no water or heat.

If you do get a job here keep track of your hours as the company has on multiple occasions moved hours to not pay overtime or just not paid out extra hours that where worked.
Cons
Management, wages
Tough to gain traction here
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2018
Management talks the talk, although they have very limited field experience so the more experienced field staff are relied upon heavily to support the junior staff. Unfortunately they are unable to retain these staff members.
Profits are the obvious priority for the company, employees and clients take the hit due to this.
Although you're likely to require mental health attention, there is no employee assistance program and your benefits include only $500 per year for a psychologist.
Cons
No RRSP plan. No bonuses.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Marketing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB24 May 2018
Vertex has a dynamic working environment with lots of different tasks to keep you busy, never gets boring or dull. Learning something new everyday. Staff is exceptionally warm, and welcoming. Workplace culture is very team-oriented, with lots of opportunities to get to know your co-workers. Management is nurturing and really want to see you do your best. Really enjoying my experience at Vertex so far!
Pros
Diverse tasks, Stable hours, Staff BBQ's
Cons
None!
Poorly Managed. Good company to avoid.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2018
This review is for the environmental consulting side of Vertex Resource Group.

The management of this company was very weak on the technical side yet they told the technical people how to do their jobs by handing down project workflow systems, report and table templates and SOPs, etc, without first getting any technical input from their senior technical people who actually knew what was needed for all those things. Then, after they implemented these systems, they never audited them to see if they worked or could've been improved by seeking feedback from their technical people who had to work with those systems, templates and SOPs. Then, when problems started appearing and projects were all going over-budget they blamed the project managers for it but the real cause of the problems was the inefficient and unworkable systems management put in place and their unwillingness to listen to or seek input from the project managers and senior project managers who's very job it was to execute the projects and produce the products that earned the company all of its revenues.

They didn't ask people what their career/work aspirations were and didn't appear to care much about that when I was there. They've had very high staff turnover and can't seem to keep their best talent from leaving to go to other companies. The people I worked with when I was there have all left and were bitter when they left so that should tell you something.
Pros
Sometimes had fun barbecues for the staff on Friday afternoons.
Cons
Poorly managed, frustrating place to work.
Bad Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB15 March 2018
I would not recommend anyone to work there. Very poor management system! Very low salary from trade persons to experienced professionals. Check their stock price decline to give you an idea where you are getting into!
Pros
Low salary and hard work for immigrants
Cons
Bad Management
Excellent People to work with
Consultant (Contract)/ Business Development (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB28 February 2018
Enjoyed working for Vertex. I have gained many life long friends. Executive Management always seemed to make me feel like I mattered. I Would recommend
Pros
Excellent Staff engagement
Cons
Hours can be long
Great company to work for
Safety Officer/First Aid (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC18 January 2018
With day to day operations changing frequently the job was challenging and fun. Different sites, different crews, travel and the autonomy to make my own executive decisions in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Confidence in my leadership skills and autonomy
Cons
Based in AB
Good place t work
Insulator (Former Employee) –  Christina Lake, AB4 January 2018
Safety was awesome, lots of work to do, salary was great for a first year, great benefits, would have been better if the shifts were a little different (14 and 7 as opposed to 9 and 5)
Great company
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2017
Worked with vertex for almost 2years. It was a great place/Great company.
Good fellow employees
Projet Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK13 July 2017
A fast paced environment. Responsible for many employees. Business management skills were obtained. Time management skills as well as human resource skills. The people I worked with were team players. The hardest part of the job was being on call even on my scheduled days off and the long hours that I had to put in. I enjoyed working with the field workers and bring us all together as a team.
Pros
Company Vehicle
Cons
Well respected and a well organized place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Vertex, would definitely work for them again. Fast-pace environment with lots of growth potential. Office and field teams were great to work with! Good mix of office and field work.
Pros
Lots of Growth Oppourtunities
Good Foreman
Journeyman Insulator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2017
The upper management at the field level were a good group of professional individuals.

I found working for them to be a pleasant experience. The foremans where punctual and knowledgable. They knew where the jobs where prior to sending us to the area.

The workplace culture was that of safety. The foremans would pick one safety topic independent of the main client and include it along side what the client wanted us to focus on. It was reinforced throughout the day.

The most enjoyable part of the day was being left alone to complete the tasks assigned. I was given a radio to contact the foreman if there was anything I needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vertex Resource Group Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9