Vedder Transportation Group

Vedder Transportation Group Employee Reviews

Overall good place to work

I Couldn’t get a day off when my wife was giving birth. Other then that major issue, it was a great place to work. Great job if all you care about is money and work. I quit when I couldn’t get days off.

Incredible Care For Staff

Ive never reviewed a company. I got this profile to review this company after they went above and beyond to make sure I was ok.This company cares! it cares about its drivers and its people. I have never worked for a company that respected my time and work like Vedder does.I have never worked somewhere where they reached out to make sure I was ok, where they made sure I had time off when I needed it and where they actually remembered and cared about what was happening with my family.The managers right to the president remember my name and talk to me whenever they see me. It is a good feeling to know that I am not just a number and not just a "driver".

Pros

They care about people

Cons

Nothing is what it seems

Million mile lng trucks that don’t run half the time. Money seems great till you work 14 hours for $290. I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. If you’re not working in the milk division then it’s like you’re not working for vedder. High turnover rate, about a dozen guys in 6 months. There is little to no training.

Pros

Cons

Trucks/trailers are run down and dirty

High stress environment combined with superficial management

A typical day at work: long What you learned: who you work around makes a differenceManagement: Continually takes credit for the good achievements and reward for the average hard working employee is minimal.The hardest day on the job: either between dealing with a manager with poor communication skills or realizing there is 0 incentive to work harder than anyone else because the hardest workers are only rewarded with more work.The most enjoyable part of the job: the flexibility knowing that if you were truly a good employee they have no choice but to keep you around. (high turnover rate combined with low incentive to keep progressing = high demand for hard/smart workers).

Pros

The occasional free lunch, minimal micro-managing, good job security for quality workers, quality working environment, clean

Cons

Long hours, low incentive, poor communication skills, always fighting for every last penny you earned.

High pay / good miles

I worked as a owner op. The interview was quick and then a driving test which I aced (lol). The guy who hired me told me there was a lot of work and I could do a lot of different types of loads. While I was here I hauled all sorts of different things. A lot of things to learn but they are good about helping you learn. If you can figure out that molassess is different then milk to offload you will do well lol.I went all over the place. They have some guys who stay in alberta and others who go across the border. I did both.Pay was good and a lot of miles to put on. Got frustrated sometimes with communications being confused but overall it was good.Would still be there but I had to sell my rig and move back out east.

Pros

Lots of work and good pay

steady work and treatment

I have worked for vedder for close to 9 years. I never had a shortage of work. They keep us busy and i always have my schedule. the equipment is good. they keep it clean and shiny and i havent had any safety issues. dispatch is the best I have worked with in 20 years. They tell us all whats is going on and they give everyone good hours.

Pros

work is steady

Cons

customers sometimes changing things at the last minute.

Vedder is a great place to work. Management is great, driver's are awesome works great together as a team. Expectations can be high but if you are a hard worker and dedicated to company values you will succeed within this company.

A nice relaxed place

I’ve worked here as a milk man for several years. It is pretty much a part time gig for me on my rotation. 4 on and 4 off. 10-13 hour days. Get along well with everyone. Drivers are good people and the management is very nice. The LNG tractors need replacing though. I get benefits and rrsps. Management works really well with me if you need a day off they give it to you, but they may need you to do an extra day for them sometime.

Fair and professional environment

A few of my alberta ex-coworkers are real hard on the company. It is only because they wouldn't work with the rest of the team and got very angry when things didn't go there way. But it is trucking, things dont always go your way. The bosses expect the best. They give guys lots of chances but some guys got mad about being told what they had to do or being told they weren't getting better. Overall they have been fair to me. Compensation is good. Been a few leadership changes since I started but I think they are trying to raise the bar. Equipment is older, but they are serious about keeping it all fixed and I hear new trucks are coming.

Decent place to work

The contract for some of the workers is not the greatest but overall was a good place to work and everyone was friendly and easy to deal with. Equipment was in good shape.

Jobs at Vedder Transportation Group

See more jobs

Do not work for Vedder

Not bad pay but thats it. Dangerous equipment. Everything from cracked frames on tractors to fuel and oil leaks on trucks that are miled out worn out lng trucks with no power. I wouldnt recomend this company to anyone. Management has no clue about trucking and lie constantly about conditions of trucks its like pulling teeth to get anything fixed. You will find log books full of complaints regarding the condition of the trucks which

Culture of fear

During my time I witnessed a staff who struggled to navigate against compulsive dishonesty, virtually no care for their health and well-being, and unbelievable ignorance. I witnessed my co-workers belittled and berated. Public shamings for failing to follow direction that was never given, and smear campaigns against nearly every employee driven out of their jobs in pursuit of greener pastures, were regular occurrences. Staff turnover is increasingly higher year by year - those who stay are uncooperative and disengaged. Nobody can be their self at work - as badly as every employee would love to end the false equivalence and unearned respect for a president whose unpredictable mood swings change by the hour, culture of fear is in full effect

No Job Security. Management is a nightmare.

Worked here for over 4 years watched. Seen multiple severances given out and people stressed out. It's like going to high school whole yard is full of rumours and the milk drivers are the definition of princesses. If you do work here don't reveal anything about your personal life. Seen multiple drivers quit for better jobs and the CEO talks about communication but half the time no one knows what is going on.

Very professional, New equipment well maintained, Great job security

Never had an issue working for Vedder Transport. There is a lot of opportunity with this company. The seniority list is a bit daunting. The steady income and job security is very appealing.

No lack of work

Lots of work. Money is good but a lot of other reputable companies pay the same or better. No overtime. Union is CLAC. CLAC is like all other unions. As long as you do your work without incident you'll do good at Vedder. The equipment could be better(L.NG.). Maintenance is excellent. People are awesome. Management for the most part is good. Stay away from internal politics and you'll do good. If you are mechanically inclined, self reliant, organized, clean, drug free and reliable....you'd be a good fit.

Pros

Steady employment

horrible

avoid this place like the plague. that is unless you like to run illegal every day. they allow no time for resets. or if you like to be called on your very few days off and forced to do a load with impossible deadlines. they will lie and push you constantly. the average turnaround for drivers here is 3 months.

Pros

Cons

that is what they are

Long days more than what you are legal allow

Calgary dispatch is very busy and all most of office worker's are nice. Fleet is well maintained. You are expected to be available 24/7...don't make plans. Training with pumps and loads procedures are not enough

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No time off, no sufficient and adequate training

Dispatching

Daily contact with all driver. Involved in payroll, Negative is only a couple of employees, good place to be appreciate the value of the job and what is all involved. not being able to give my opinion, and be heard.

Pros

fuel card

Cons

certain people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vedder Transportation Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement