Vecova Employee Reviews

Great team atmosphere
Community resource practitioner (Former Employee) –  Vecova18 May 2019
The best part about working for Vecova besides the clients is your team. The work culture is so supportive and no questions or suggestions are too out there and I felt as if I was able to effect change regularly to give our clients the best quantity of life possible.
Good Organization to work for but a bit top-heavy
Community Access Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta3 December 2018
Many people tend to stay at this organization for many years and genuinely care about the people they support. For the most part, Team Leaders care very much about the issues facing front-line staff and often they are facing very similar issues.

As with any large organization, there can sometimes be a disconnect between the people on the front lines and upper management. I believe this Agency strives to look at issues such as these and do whatever they can with the funding provided to them to make their employees happy and proud to be part of this organization.

I have read some other reviews and think that sometimes we, on the front lines of this organization, are not provided with a clear bigger picture of what is not and is not possible.

There are pros and cons working for any organization. I would give Vecova an A+ on innovation but they are a bit top-heavy and might offer their employees better compensation and more flexibility for work/life balance.
Pros
Willing to change to make it a better workplace, Genuinely cares for the people they support and those who work for them
Cons
Top heavy and less than competitive wages
Vecova is a wonderful place to work, if you truly love people.
Community resource practitioner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2018
Vecova is one of the best agencies in Calgary, and a leader in the disability services field. They offer relevant training/learning opportunities at no cost to employees. Vecova is constantly evolving and improving with help (maybe too much) from their research and development teams. These are the only reasons I rank Vecova so highly. Once you get past the bells and whistles, Vecova is like any other agency. There are staff shortages, overdue vacant positions, office politics and drama. Bullying and rank pulling. Constant increases in workload. Constant delegation of administrative tasks that leaves stress and pressure on staff. The coverage team desperately lacks accountability efficiency and structure. They fail staff, and most unfortunately our clients, on a daily basis. I truly believe Vecova is more concerned with funding, than enriching the lives of the clients they support. The word Vecova means Ve-moving Co-together Va-forward. I believe the name that would better reflect the objectives and intent of my employer would be, Veva. I believe highest quality of living is NOT a privilege Vecova extends, but an EXPECTATION Vecova should be held to, and an OBLIGATION to the clients they support. Aside from the management and coverage team deficiencies, Vecova is still a wonderful place to work. The staff is diverse and vibrant, the moral is generally high, and there are so many wonderful precious and unique individuals we support.
Pros
All the wonderful people we support.
Cons
Zero accountability from management, excuses replacing solutions.
Good Company, Room for Advancement, but Frequent Changes
Scheduler - Community Resource Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 August 2018
Vecova is a good company to work for. One can expect industry standards regarding salary and job expectations in the Human Services field.
Most of the management is approachable and understanding of the importance of a work-life balance.
The benefits are good, if you have a salaried position that is 20+ hours per week.
There is room for advancement and immense professional development.
Pros
Culture and Opportunities for Professional Development and Advancement
Cons
Frequent changes
Horrible management and onboarding
Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2018
Upon being hired for a position with the communications and development team, it was clear from the very first day that words like "training" and "onboarding" were not part of Vecova's vernacular.

The team of individuals whom I directly worked under were as helpful with my new-hire learning curve as swimming with a lead life preserver. They set me up for failure and wondered why I'd drowned. Helpful gems of constructive criticisms such as "spruce it up" and "make it better" were not very helpful in my writing process.

The clients were the best part of coming into work. They really made my days better and I loved the moments i worked directly with them!

Besides that, the job sets you up to fail. With little to no help from the coordinators and managers, it is a company that's bottom line matters more than it's employees and it's clients. The emphasis and excitement they put into finding donations and funding is the energy they should put into properly training employees.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Management, coordinators, zero onboarding
Living Support Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2018
Vecova is a good place to work. They take care of the staff and allow autonomy to make decisions. I enjoyed my time working there and would recommend the agency to anyone in Calgary looking for a place to work.
good place to work
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 October 2017
Vecova had to work out some kinks when it comes to opening new houses. I did enjoy the team building and oppertunities for advancement.Vecova also has the most complex medication administation course.
You will not be respected by this organization
Community Resources Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2017
This organization appears be a really good one going in. However, when you get there, you realize that the employee culture is so demoralizing that you can not produce your best work. There is a culture of gossiping, intimidating and unprofessional behaviors. This is particularly more common among staff that have been there for a long time. Intimidation of clients by these staffs is another major organizational culture issue. Management takes sides of the Team Leader without investigating.
Pros
The Clents are amazing
Cons
Very toxic enviroment
Difficult job to carry, but very rewarding
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2017
A typical day at work was no less than 11 hours of laborious work in a dark, dirty, smelly warehouse. However the job did provide the opportunities to work partially outdoors and regularly drive to various locations in the city. Management existed, but was not overbearing or intrusive, I quite enjoyed my relationship with the manager. The culture is one based around inclusiveness and all-around teamwork. The hardest part of my job was having to deal with equipment failures and a lack of re-investment into the depot, it was difficult to see the staff struggle with the current "technology" and working conditions on a day-to-day basis while the parent company took all of the revenue for their own purposes. The most enjoyable part of my job, that I still miss to this day, was interacting and socializing with the staff members. They are truly the only reason why I consider returning on a voluntary basis.
Pros
3-day weekend every week
Cons
dirty, smelly bottle depot
Fantastic place to work
Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 July 2017
The best organization I've ever worked for! Lots of development opportunities, the work is great, the clients are a joy and managers are very supportive and helpful.
Pros
the culture and environment
Vecova is profit focused and not people focused
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
Profits over people motivated agency, they accept clients who receive more funding but are dangerous to both themselves and others but don't invest monies into extra staff to deal with clients behaviours, usually 1-1 ratio when for safety reasons it should be 2/1 or even 3/1
Management, counsellors and medical professionals are clueless. One of the most poorly run agency in Calgary.
I wouldn't put my loved one in their care!
Pros
Most co-workers and clients
Cons
Dangerous environment and little or no concern for either staff or client safety
Very unhealthy work environment (group home)
Ultra Complex Needs / Group Home (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2016
When I started at this company, I felt like I am home. Very great management support, overall stuff amazing. Clients so much fun. Loved to go to work. Than was in group home, where all was good until 2-3 people were hired and work become a high school drama. It wasn't about clients anymore, team work, it was all about telly tale. telling on each other. Mean behavior. Management support was poor. Many good staff left due to unhealthily environment.
I really loved and enjoyed my job and the rest of the coworkers were amazing to work with. Hardest part was to step up to those 2-3 people who were bullies but nothing was done or maybe was done something later on.
The company as Vecova is amazing. Great leaders there, amazing staff and support, but when you get to group homes, that is totally a different story. Everything depends on who clicks in and who is not.
Pros
amazing clients, supportive coworkers
Cons
favoritism from supervisors toward individual staffs, communication not good
dangerous work environment
employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2015
pay was not good and management was poorly skilled, bottle depot is disgustingly under payed and over worked. thank god for good supervisors there, i would of never returned...good supervisors were fired and replaced with an idiot.
Pros
good pay
Cons
16hr days and impossible deadlines
Productive , routine and repetitive work
Cart Retriever (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2015
Productive routine and repetitive work, customer service, clears carts from terminal side, parkade and airlines. I work eight hours a day with a team of cart retrievers clearing and providing baggage carts to passengers. Sometimes I have co workers who work well as a team and some who work well independently. The hardest part of the job is clearing carts from the parkade levels from P1-P7 and clearing carts from the employee and discount lots.

Never argue with your supervisor on how long you were on breaks, they seem to be always right and I hate it when they time you on how long you have been gone, It is so unfair for the supervisors and other co workers to be on an hour break with the boss and you being myself be the only one on the floor working in your area plus covering for the co worker that's on break.

The best part of the job is helping another passenger load their bags on the cart and leading them showing them their airline or the place to where they are going.
Pros
Friendly and customer service
Cons
unruly and rude passengers
Normal experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 November 2014
This agency is like most other agencies in Calgary. There is not a lot of advancement opportunities due to long term employees.
Helping people who really need your help
Supportive Roommate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2014
Very satisfying and especially fullfilling.
I really learned my patience level.
My co-workers were so supportive and helpful.
The hardest part was probably communication sometimes.
The most enjoyable part is feeling that you can make a positive difference in an individual's life.
Pros
I got to work at home
Cons
I did not get a lot of free time when my friends and family were available.
Well established organization with strong ethics and great training.
Community Resource Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 October 2013
A typical day consists of; supporting adults with developmental disabilities in their daily living, activities and teaching them life skills. Staff teach and model values to their clients each and every day. I learn to be patient and non-judgemental towards those less fortune than myself. The training is impeccable with high standards, which is so valued and appreciated. I can approach and talk to my management about any issues I may have. Everyone works together as a team with the same goals in mind for each individual client. My co-workers are easy to work with and also share the same high standards as myself. The hardest part of my job is seeing my clients struggle with things like communication and aging mobility issues. My clients are the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
the clients, co-workers, training, hours and location
Cons
watching clients age, government cutbacks, minimal advancement opportunities, wage