VCA Animal Hospitals

VCA Animal Hospitals Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews
Medicine is chosen with scientific data and collaboration with multiple medical advisors. Management really helps you feel appreciated. Amazing learning experience.
Your a number not a person. Management was absolutely disgusting. The most unprofessional person I have met in my life. Hospital went from a thriving emergency clinic to ghost town and went from full staff to skeleton crew. The staff who were let go suffered at the hand of the manager and some are dealing with PTSD due to the treatment they received. This company has one thing on their mind "profit". They hire the most unprofessional non trained people I have ever seen. Stay away is all I can say if you want your sanity. Minimum wage??? Seriously? Stay away from corporate owned veterinary businesses. Go private! They will treat you and pay you what you deserve.
Pros
Cons
everything
It was heart breaking working for Beardall's as I brought my animals there even before getting hired. I fell in love with the staff right away... but as a cooperation I felt like I was just another employee not part of a family. I did love the new technology this place had to offer and the Veterinarians on board as they treated you as equal.

When I started I was promised a full time position as a RVT when I was done my schooling. I announced I was pregnant and about a week later i was told I no longer have a full time position. They informed me it was because they needed to hire someone with experience, but they hired two other girls straight out of school. I was doing all the work a RVT was doing but getting paid less, then when brought up to the management it was denied that I was doing any of that. This experience has made me change my mind on working at a veterinary clinic all together.

They do have new management now, I am hoping they don't treat anyone else like this ever again!
Pros
Working with advanced technology
Cons
just a number in the system
VCA is terrible! 17$ an hour for Client Care is a LIE! You are paid MINIMUM WAGE!
The things you put up with from clients management and other staff members is unacceptable.

They do NOT care about you! You are replaceable!

Client Care is EXTREMELY busy.

The job itself is a very rewarding job and the work is fun.

BUT! You will never feel/be compensated for the work you do.

THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!

Turn over rate for Client Care is ridiculous!

Then they get desperate and hire just about anyone!

People who DO NOT belong in the veterinary world!!

People who can’t handle running off their feet from the moment they walk in to the moment they leave.

People who can’t handle emergency situations.

There was a girl who was giving out MEDICAL ADVICE to a client over the phone while she looked it up on google!!!

That should have been an automatic fire!

But people are given chance after chance after chance when they should be fired because they are so desperate for staff!

Staff members such as technicians and vets are allowed to treat reception like absolute garbage and get away with it.

Find another clinic !!
The absolute best job - working with animals and with people. Unfortunately, it doesn't make up for the poor management skills who pay the employees that work the most next to nothing and treat them as if they are dispensable. Regional manager is a bully.
The management style in my specific clinic was poor. The overall approach to running their clinic from head office was confusing and not fixated on animals first. Also, there was a severe lack of focus on recognizing the emotional and physical difficulties of the job. The coworkers were perfect and there was a real sense of teamwork unless it came time for a promotional offer for the employees.
Volunteering there was a great time because no matter what I was doing, everyone around me continually helped me learn and feel welcomed. I would recommend volunteering at a VCA hospital because it feels like family.
This company cares about money. While the hospital I worked at was state of the art, and practice gold standard medicine, the people who performed all of the tasks, do not get paid and recognized for their skill set and attributes.
There is a huge lack of communication and monetarily, I have no idea how some people are able to survive on the measly wage they give you.

This company disgusts m. While the medicine is amazing. The company couldn’t care less about you which is very very sad.
VCA treats their employees like s**t and don’t pay you for all the hard work you do. You are not treated fairly and if you’re a tech assistant they treat you even worse. Don’t work here if you value your self.
It is fun place to work if you are working along side the doctors otherwise if you are working as a kennel assistant you won't really get a chance to work with the rest of the team.
It is a ok hospital. I don't like the vibes of the work place, very small unorganized and staff are stressed at all times. Not a good place to work if you are looking to be trained.
Shift work; mostly can expect moderately busy days; you can learn much but are not given many responsibilities as an assistant here, hardest part about working at this hospital include difficult clients at reception, barely any pay raises and low income. Most enjoyable part about working here include support from coworkers, helping animals in all cases, working with emergency patients, spending time with animals while walking them and taking a break from the busy days with them for a few minutes is always rewarding.
I had a wonderful time at VAERC and would not change it for the world. There are definitely a few things that I would change if I were to ever go back, but I'm sure they would meet me halfway.
I had a very bad experience in VCA Ottawa Animal Hospital with the new manager as she doesn’t like any foreigners and she likes to put any new vet in much stress , not accepting the word of new graduate which means that she doesn’t believe in the learning curve.you should be ready to do everything .
Very very bad place , don’t recommend to any body.
Work with great people in a busy clinic with less staff than most vet clinics I've worked in, and no room for advancement unless you want to quit and obtain more schooling.
Busy Fast paced Environment but great team of people.
You need to be efficient in your own time management and experience is a must!

You will be doing many things and work alongside different departments so a team player is a must
It's a very stressful job, and it's soul crushing if you let it.
People take terrible care of their pets then want the cheapest option. Nearly impossible with VCA as they only care about profit. They say if we do really good we get a kick back. You'll never reach those goals.

If you have more then 3 pets they'll only give you a lower price on the 3 pets, but you're expected to pay full for your other pets.
VCA won't let us hire despite being short for over a year and asking constantly. Prices keep going up but our pay stays very low. They implement so many different things that make no sense and don't take any feedback from the people who are actually working in the clinic.
Typical day on a daily basis usually consisted of a fast-paced work environment. Worked with good team members in a professional work space. Gained lots of valuable work experience within this field.
All hospitals provide superior patient care with a strong focus on providing an exceptional client experience. The company and management take care of the teams and are leaders in team development and advancement. I really like the focus they have of helping the community.
Won’t hire anybody with an actual pulse. We’ve had numerous perfectly good resumes come in to fill in the jobs we really need but they’re too picky and not actually hiring people who could do the job just fine.