VCA Animal Hospitals
Here to help
Coronavirus update

VCA Animal Hospitals Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
It was heart breaking working for Beardall's as I brought my animals there even before getting hired. I fell in love with the staff right away... but as a cooperation I felt like I was just another employee not part of a family. I did love the new technology this place had to offer and the Veterinarians on board as they treated you as equal.

When I started I was promised a full time position as a RVT when I was done my schooling. I announced I was pregnant and about a week later i was told I no longer have a full time position. They informed me it was because they needed to hire someone with experience, but they hired two other girls straight out of school. I was doing all the work a RVT was doing but getting paid less, then when brought up to the management it was denied that I was doing any of that. This experience has made me change my mind on working at a veterinary clinic all together.

They do have new management now, I am hoping they don't treat anyone else like this ever again!
Pros
Working with advanced technology
Cons
just a number in the system
The management style in my specific clinic was poor. The overall approach to running their clinic from head office was confusing and not fixated on animals first. Also, there was a severe lack of focus on recognizing the emotional and physical difficulties of the job. The coworkers were perfect and there was a real sense of teamwork unless it came time for a promotional offer for the employees.
This company cares about money. While the hospital I worked at was state of the art, and practice gold standard medicine, the people who performed all of the tasks, do not get paid and recognized for their skill set and attributes.
There is a huge lack of communication and monetarily, I have no idea how some people are able to survive on the measly wage they give you.

This company disgusts m. While the medicine is amazing. The company couldn’t care less about you which is very very sad.
It is fun place to work if you are working along side the doctors otherwise if you are working as a kennel assistant you won't really get a chance to work with the rest of the team.
Shift work; mostly can expect moderately busy days; you can learn much but are not given many responsibilities as an assistant here, hardest part about working at this hospital include difficult clients at reception, barely any pay raises and low income. Most enjoyable part about working here include support from coworkers, helping animals in all cases, working with emergency patients, spending time with animals while walking them and taking a break from the busy days with them for a few minutes is always rewarding.
I had a very bad experience in VCA Ottawa Animal Hospital with the new manager as she doesn’t like any foreigners and she likes to put any new vet in much stress , not accepting the word of new graduate which means that she doesn’t believe in the learning curve.you should be ready to do everything .
Very very bad place , don’t recommend to any body.
Busy Fast paced Environment but great team of people.
You need to be efficient in your own time management and experience is a must!

You will be doing many things and work alongside different departments so a team player is a must
Typical day on a daily basis usually consisted of a fast-paced work environment. Worked with good team members in a professional work space. Gained lots of valuable work experience within this field.
Great environment with friendly coworkers and caring managers, really good as a part time job for students, hours can be scarce so you'll need a second job to help pay the bills
This was a great place to work at the staff were all very friendly and willing to help. the environment was always lively and everyone ensured that, you knew what to do.
i have learned a lot at this clinic, the people are very welcoming and they will help you if you needed anything. i expeirenced a lot of new things that were very exciting. overall they are a great clinic
Pros
free food
Cons
Our clinic was bought last year by VCA and the quality of our practice has taken a huge nosedive. Management is now a complete joke with how often it flip-flops on policies, making snap decisions without gathering information on how it would affect workflow, and refuses to listen when concerns are brought up.
Any sense of individuality as a worker having their own important role in the workplace has vanished; VCA will treat you as disposable.
Alta Vista Emergency department is a great job for learning basic and advanced veterinary skills. You will see cases here that you won't see anywhere else and are exposed to many different specialties.

It is however, not a long term job for most as it is very easy to become burned out. The staff is expected to work very long hours 9-12+ multiple days in a row with often only one day off. Part-time staff is expected to work over 40 hours a week (often mostly overnight) since they are under staffed and the stress of taking care of critical patients under these conditions really gets to you over time.
Pros
Valuable experience, excellent learning opportunities
Cons
long hours, over worked, under staffed, poor pay
You work such long hours and are there so often that you usually see most of these people more than your own family and most of the time that is ok because they are that great.
prospective veterinary students get a lot of valuable hands on experience with animals, working closely with doctors.
Benefits