Varsteel Ltd

Varsteel Ltd Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Calgary, AB10 reviews
Varsteel is a good company to work for. They treat their employees well and compensate them fairly. The management team is solid, but I would say that communication can be lacking at times which I found frustrating. But overall, I wouldn't discourage anyone from working here. There isn't alot of turnover, so obviously people are happy.
Was a great place to work. Management really shows that they care, and are involved. The pay is very reasonable. Great team atmosphere overall. Highly recommend.
everybody on the crew is really easy to get along with. learned alot there in 5 years. three rotating shifts, lots of work to do if your motivated....
Pros
good people
Cons
not managed good
Management seems fair the work is tedious my only issue is the group lead on my shift was a serious bully... He never has nothing nice to say always blowing off incredibly rude judgmental/racial comments. Dirty looks screaming at you throwing things at you Micro managing you.... Its like he wants you to quit. The most toxic person who just brings waves of negative energy. Trust me this will severely lower you're quality of life not worth it at all. Also they have a serious rodent problem.
Pros
steady work
Cons
toxic people/person
I have to say I really enjoyed the environment in the office. It is very fast paced. All inside Sales are very pleasant, patient and happy to work with you. I had various questions and everyone was happy to help in any way.
I felt it was a team environment.
Pros
Helpful, patient, positive
Cons
Location's top management MIA.
Major health & safety violations in all areas.

Management bullies & favors foreign visiting workers to work beyond collective agreement.

Truck drivers illegally replaced by outside contract company.

Workers sent home while idle office staff & absent management remain collecting salaries.

Yard overworked unsafely on all shifts.

Cranes constantly down & unsafe.
would grab work order from bin we had different work stations i would grab the crane hook up a plate of steel take it where it needed to be either to be rolled into cone or cylinder, cut on torch or plasma table then i would use torch to cut off scraps and use big magnet to get rid of all the left overs then when once we had finished product i would load on truck and trailer to be shipped out
Union weak ....management bullies employees....vice president is a kid in a sand box.... not worth the time ....it was a waste of my time....no seniority ...more management favoritism to people who kiss butt.....
Pros
Cons
everything
This is a fabrication shop. This location can cut, bend, and roll sheet of metal to any specification. They run 24 hours a day
This was my first class 1 driving position and it is an excellent place to learn. While deadlines are important, safety is more important. There is always someone available to help make your deliveries safer. The major issue is how most deliveries are loaded in the first place, it takes time and consideration on behalf of an experienced watchful driver to make the loads deliverable. Training is lack luster at best. Always take your time and make sure your load is safe.
Pros
good mix of home life and work
Cons
training program is non existant