Varsteel Ltd Employee Reviews

good people to work with.
Crane Operator/Yardman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2019
everybody on the crew is really easy to get along with. learned alot there in 5 years. three rotating shifts, lots of work to do if your motivated....
Pros
good people
Cons
not managed good
Lead hand is a rude miserable ******
Crane op (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2018
Management seems fair the work is tedious my only issue is the group lead on my shift was a serious bully... He never has nothing nice to say always blowing off incredibly rude judgmental/racial comments. Dirty looks screaming at you throwing things at you Micro managing you.... Its like he wants you to quit. The most toxic person who just brings waves of negative energy. Trust me this will severely lower you're quality of life not worth it at all. Also they have a serious rodent problem.
Pros
steady work
Cons
toxic people/person
Stressful and never paid for what you worked
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chemainus, BC17 September 2018
Anyone who takes the driver position be extremely careful. They will make you work through all your daily breaks and you will still be deducted for a half hour lunch yet you will work through it. The truck is not up to safety code, it's a cvse inspection waiting to happen. The driver will receive fines and if you complain to management they will make up an excuse and terminate you.
Cons
Never paid for what you work. Truck is not road legal. H
Positive Environment
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2018
I have to say I really enjoyed the environment in the office. It is very fast paced. All inside Sales are very pleasant, patient and happy to work with you. I had various questions and everyone was happy to help in any way.
I felt it was a team environment.
Pros
Helpful, patient, positive
Cons
Can be good or bad depending the management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 September 2018
Was employed at red deer branch for many years. Top Management fell and everything followed, worked in the industry for over a decade and never was as bad as it was the last few years. I wouldn't not recommend or recommend, it's work and if you go for this type of job you better have some strength and backbone to stand up for yourself.....again it's all your choice. I had no choice but leave do to the top management at the branch.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
High stress
Driver class 1 (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 August 2018
Very stressful place to work, constantly micro-managed.
Has a tendency to over-hire and lay off. no actual training, just videos to watch.. the shop is union, and the manager is a control freak, leading to the manager asserting his presents any way he can.
Pros
Good wage
The coworkers are not good I will not recommend this company the safety is weak. There is no increase for salary
Warehouse night shift (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 August 2018
I will not recommend this job. The management is poor don't know how to manage the people like in the night safe. There are a lot acting like a boss. And safety is very poor. If you work here need you have a backer and they like is kissing there butt always.
Cons
Good environment for a job
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 May 2018
A typical day was punching numbers into a computer and filing files. I learned some general office tricks and gained some computer skills. The management was really good and organized. The hardest part of the job was sitting in a chair all day. The enjoyable part of the job was seeing the papers that were on your desk in the morning go away after work.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Sitting in a chair for a long time
Is a good place to work
Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 April 2018
When I worked a Varsteel it was a good place to work. They management were friendly and helpful. The branch manager and assistant branch manager took care of there employees. The hardest part of this job is lifting and pulling steel product to assemble customers orders.
Pros
worked regular hours
decent job
Bridge crane operator/Labour (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 April 2018
i enjoyed this job just didn't enjoy the atmosphere when i was there . There was a lot of drama and it seemed that even personal issues would be brought into the work place.
Receiving railcars of steel
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge15 January 2018
Having the opportunity to discuss orders within the branches of western Canada and learning about the products.Building professional relationships with coworkers within one branch and learning from them.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB31 August 2017
I worked at Varsteel in their Leduc office for almost 10 years. Even through a recession the management worked carefully to keep everyone employed. I always felt that my job was safe. They had great incentives and a competitive salary and benefits program. Would highly recommend!
Great Place to Build a Career
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB30 August 2017
I started working at Varsteel while I was still in High school. Since then I have done many jobs there. Starting out in the Warehouse loading trucks and now currently working in the Corporate Purchasing department. Good opportunity for advancement. Great People there.
Pros
Great Atmoshphere
Varsteel is a great company to work for. They have treated me and my family like family. I have been working here for over 10 years.
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 August 2017
I am treated more than fair from Varsteel. I work hard and am recognized for this. I started in an entry level position and moved up quickly as the company grew. I have worked with some excellent mentors. I feel the pay is competitive and the benefit package is better than my spouse. I have nothing but good things to say about Varsteel. I fully intend on retiring with them.
Pros
Nice office, friendly group, good benefits, reasonable hours and lots of on the job learning.
Many opportunities, big company.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 August 2017
My overall experience was very good. I am on maternity leave and I am looking forward to getting back. They have a very good benefit program. I learned new skill and met new suppliers. easy going office atmosphere. I liked working for such a big company.
Pros
Nice modern office and hands on management.
Cons
busy environment
Progressive Company
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 August 2017
I worked in purchasing at Varsteel for over 7 years, only leaving because of a family move. During that time I moved up in the purchasing division. My direct manager was dedicated to the company but also to her team. I found her to be respectful to me and knowledgeable about the steel industry. I was there during the recession and I saw how management tried to keep people employed. I would recommend this company to others especially the purchasing division.
Pros
Clear job description, job advancement
Cons
The economy has an impact on purchasing
Office
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 August 2017
Lots of opportunity for advancement. Competitive salary. Too bad I had to move with my family. I e joyed working for them! They are an aggressive company and promote within.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Lots of travel which I enjoyed.
Easy to leave
Accounts Payables/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 June 2017
Best decision of my life was leaving this place. I was miserable. Training is pretty non existent. Management isn't the best. Lots of favoritism the location I worked at.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Warehouse enviroment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 June 2017
Learned alot about the steel industry. Was provided with all the training need for the job. Worked on the night shift which was more shipping and recieveing then dealing with the customers.
Great Company
Shipper/Receiver/Sales (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 May 2017
Great place to work. I enjoyed working there a lot. I would always be there early because of that. I had a great supervisor which made work fun and enjoyable.