Varsteel Ltd

Varsteel Ltd Employee Reviews

Canada46 reviews
loved working there
my interview was walking the crane rail to fix a broken fuse on the crane..I continually visited the shop to ask for the job.. (I bugged them until they hired me). great people from management to warehouse workers. only reason I'm not there now... trades apprenticeship
Good co-workers
Co workers great but upper management is not in touch with its people. Work life balance was good and the workload can be alot at times but usually good.
Stressful Workplace
Stressful Workplace, short staffed, not a team environment. Management does not help employees with work place issues, slow to react and will not help address any situation that is not associated with them.
Unrealistic expectations
Worked nearly the entire winter outdoors with very little help, very few breaks and inferior equipment with no heat...then on my last day before my probation was up was let go without any real reason. Outdoor winter work wear wasnt provided or paid for by the employer and asking for help was like getting blood from a stone.
Excellent long term employment
Good wages. Lots of work. Great benefits. Retirement investments. Great employer.
If you like hard work that pays off Varsteel is your place. Yes the work is hard but the pay and benefits male up for it. Great staff and workers makes a grear team environment.
Decent place to work
Could treat employees better. But group overall where good to work with. Pay is fair. Not the best, was a relaxed atmosphere and alot of time allowed to deal with out of office issues. Not alot of positives from pay cuts and increases.
Worst management at prince george branch. Alot of wcb claims their.
The manager and production manager have no experience running a steel shop. I would personally not recommend this company unless your a employee that wants to go on disability. In which case you will be a great fit for this branch.
Solid Company
Varsteel is a good company to work for. They treat their employees well and compensate them fairly. The management team is solid, but I would say that communication can be lacking at times which I found frustrating. But overall, I wouldn't discourage anyone from working here. There isn't alot of turnover, so obviously people are happy.
Great Place to Work
Was a great place to work. Management really shows that they care, and are involved. The pay is very reasonable. Great team atmosphere overall. Highly recommend.
Micro management and dictatorship
Micromanage your every move, dictated from upper mgmt in lethbridge, that's in all positions. Trucks are gps tracked and if stopped for more than 5 min. They are calling you, not allowed outside calls.
First Manager was good
The first manager was good at his job, the following two were not good at their jobs. The pay was ok, for Winnipeg, benefits cost the employee about $250/month. The blue collar folks and the sales were decent people.
Very nice place to work and learn something new. I like to work here i am working with great people.
The management was great always help in any problem.9
Fast paced work environment
The workplace culture here is very safety focused, employees and management spent a large amount of time working towards improving safety for the warehouse staff and any contract workers who enter the building.
good people to work with.
everybody on the crew is really easy to get along with. learned alot there in 5 years. three rotating shifts, lots of work to do if your motivated....
Pros
good people
Cons
not managed good
Lead hand is a rude miserable ******
Management seems fair the work is tedious my only issue is the group lead on my shift was a serious bully... He never has nothing nice to say always blowing off incredibly rude judgmental/racial comments. Dirty looks screaming at you throwing things at you Micro managing you.... Its like he wants you to quit. The most toxic person who just brings waves of negative energy. Trust me this will severely lower you're quality of life not worth it at all. Also they have a serious rodent problem.
Pros
steady work
Cons
toxic people/person
Stressful and never paid for what you worked
Anyone who takes the driver position be extremely careful. They will make you work through all your daily breaks and you will still be deducted for a half hour lunch yet you will work through it. The truck is not up to safety code, it's a cvse inspection waiting to happen. The driver will receive fines and if you complain to management they will make up an excuse and terminate you.
Cons
Never paid for what you work. Truck is not road legal. H
Positive Environment
I have to say I really enjoyed the environment in the office. It is very fast paced. All inside Sales are very pleasant, patient and happy to work with you. I had various questions and everyone was happy to help in any way.
I felt it was a team environment.
Pros
Helpful, patient, positive
Cons
Can be good or bad depending the management
Was employed at red deer branch for many years. Top Management fell and everything followed, worked in the industry for over a decade and never was as bad as it was the last few years. I wouldn't not recommend or recommend, it's work and if you go for this type of job you better have some strength and backbone to stand up for yourself.....again it's all your choice. I had no choice but leave do to the top management at the branch.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
High stress
Very stressful place to work, constantly micro-managed.
Has a tendency to over-hire and lay off. no actual training, just videos to watch.. the shop is union, and the manager is a control freak, leading to the manager asserting his presents any way he can.
Pros
Good wage
The coworkers are not good I will not recommend this company the safety is weak. There is no increase for salary
I will not recommend this job. The management is poor don't know how to manage the people like in the night safe. There are a lot acting like a boss. And safety is very poor. If you work here need you have a backer and they like is kissing there butt always.
Cons
Good environment for a job
A typical day was punching numbers into a computer and filing files. I learned some general office tricks and gained some computer skills. The management was really good and organized. The hardest part of the job was sitting in a chair all day. The enjoyable part of the job was seeing the papers that were on your desk in the morning go away after work.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Sitting in a chair for a long time