Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

Very good place to work with excellent support. Great opportunities to do tutoring.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA14 July 2019
Great company with plenty of opportunities. Management is excelent. Technical help is available when you need it. Plenty of leads for tutoring sessions.
Great students, lots of work, low pay
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL13 July 2019
I have loved most of the students I have found their parents are amazing, the students and families are flexible with scheduling and very friendly. I find tutoring for them to be rewarding as part time work. I am a student so the flexible scheduling and choosing my own hours and subjects is great. However, I can get paid as low as $15 an hour for services I know families pay $85+ for. They don't pay for prep time or travel. They do occasionally offer a fare spike for a client they really want you to take, but in general they pay low even if you do a lot to keep clients happy.
Generally, ok!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Colorado12 July 2019
When a student leaves a tutor for some unknown reason, I feel some type of feedback to the tutor would be very helpful so that the tutor could improve his ability to tutor!
Varisty Tutors
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN10 July 2019
Varsity Tutors is a good company to work with. You can manage your schedule and work with students once or on a continual basis. There is nice communication and freedom, and an ability to build relationships and grow your client base.
A company that provides great compensation all of its employees
Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO5 July 2019
Working with Varsity Tutors was a very fun experience. They were able to manage my work and life balance very easily. At times, I wasn't able to pick up their designated appointment positions, but they never bothered me if I wasn't able to pick up a certain shift.
Pros
Easy Scheduling with clients
Cons
low number of clients, especially during the summer
Sales representative
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO25 June 2019
Varsity Tutors is a great company to start a career at. They offer advancement opportunities from within and are willing to train and work with employees from any sort of background.
Tutoring students is rewarding
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA24 June 2019
I enjoy my job at Varsity Tutoring. What really upset me is my pay is so minimum for all I do. I drive far burn alot of gas. My salary doesn't match the impact I have on these students
Pros
watching my students improve academically and seeing their self-esteem improve
Cons
driving to different homes all over the city and not being paid properly
Awful pay, but could make sense if you need very flexible hours
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA24 June 2019
You will officially earn $15 per hour, but if you have to travel to meet your student or if you spend time preparing for lessons and/or setting homework problems, you can expect to actually make about $7.50/hr. (You're only paid for the hours you spend in scheduled sessions with students.)

If you have any other options for work, I would recommend them over Varsity Tutors. Possible exceptions would be if 1) you need a lot of flexibility in the hours you work or 2) you want teaching experience and you have no other options.
Pros
flexible hours, helping kids, developing deeper knowledge of subjects you teach
Cons
exploitatively low pay
Great organizationally but very low pay
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Online24 June 2019
The company takes care of many potentially difficult issues: online platform, tech support, direct deposits, matching tutors and students, etc. It helps tremendously. The pay, however, is at least 3-4 times lower than what the same work would be paid if a tutor found his/her own student. It is understandable that tutors are paid less, considering that they have tech and organizational support, but not THAT MUCH less. When preparation time and taxes at the end of the year are taken into account, it becomes about minimal wage, if even that. So, work is very convenient and hours are flexible, but earnings do not correspond at all to the job being done.
Great culture. Depends who your manager is. Pay not the best.
Education Specialist/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZ20 June 2019
The culture is uplifting, depending on who your manager is. The first three months of training they have you thinking nothing but the positive because of course that’s how you should feel with a new job, but it was deceitful. Everything they tell you is unicorns and rainbows until you do the research yourself or talk to the people that have been there awhile. The new pay scale was set up earlier this year, “for people to make a glorious amount of uncapped commission” but really it was a massive budget cut. You don’t make near as much commission compared to those who have been there over a year. Be prepared to have multiple managers within the first 6 months to a year. I was there 6 months and had 3! I’m all for learning as much as I can about my company but along with each new manager comes different rules. Some abide by the rule book and some don’t care and are more hands off. 1st one being the best manager to my last being a super micromanager. I was “promoted to Another team” when really all that means is rather difficult leads and harder to close. Once that transition happened, the quota was difficult to hit and it then became a numbers game. While they have a great work environment, some managers have fun and create a relaxed environment, not all managers are like that. They do provide lots of food and ping pong tables, which I never got to play because my manager was Up in it with everything I did through the day. Each time I left my desk, I’d have to Send an IM or if I was going on break I’d have to send an IM. The passion in helping students succeed kept me going, but  more... my environment became toxic quickly and I felt I could no longer be myself or could let alone, breath. One on one meetings consisted of pulling up my entire day from bathroom breaks to stretch breaks, literally highlighting where I could use more time to make calls. My teammates also dealt with the same stuff. No one really talked to each other, no collaboration. High turnover, deceitful, constant change, good people, but not made for a long term career.  less
Pros
Free food, energy drinks, fun events, culture hit or miss
Cons
Micromanagers, no work life balance, basically required to work over time. New pay scale hold you back from making money. High turnover
Rewarding but LOW PAY
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA19 June 2019
Varsity Tutors doesn’t pay their tutors what is dervered at all. They charge the families for a block of hours and have them pay anyway near $500-$800 for the hours and pay you not even 10% of that. I’ve got $27 Paid to my account for a session and that doesn’t cover gas and mileage. Sometimes you don’t get paired with students that match what you teach. The families are really nice and it’s a rewarding job but the traveling gets really taxing and costly. They don’t pay enough at all.
Pros
Experience, independence and Flexibility
Cons
Extremely Low Pay and no Benefits
Great for those who enjoy teaching and want flexibility
Tutor (Current Employee) –  United States19 June 2019
I’ve been working for Varsity Tutors part time as a tutor for a little less than a year. If you like teaching but want more flexibility in your hours than a job as a teacher would provide and aren’t bothered by the relatively low pay, then this is a good job.

Other reviewers have pointed out that VT pays its Tutors only a small fraction of what they charge clients, and this is true. If you already know a bunch of people who need tutoring, there’s really no reason to work for VT or any other tutoring platform: you’ll probably make the most money by simply working with clients directly. The main advantage of working for VT is of course that you never need to stress about finding new clients, because there’s never a shortage (at least for the more popular subjects such as ACT and SAT).

At its worst, the job can be pretty dull - e.g., if you get assigned a student who just obviously doesn’t want to be there and isn’t putting in much effort. But at its best, the job can be genuinely fun, so much so that it doesn’t even feel like work. This happens when you get assigned a really cool, sociable student with a good work ethic. In those cases, it’s easier to form a rapport, which makes the sessions much more engaging and actually greatly facilitates the education process (probably because, in those cases, you have the student’s full attention at every moment).
Satisfied
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CA17 June 2019
Students are individually unique and a joy to work with. Hours are flexible and schedule is set by oneself. Have learned a lot while working here, and the culture is laidback, though professional.
Pros
Love the students, set your own schedule
Cons
Compensation mediocre, sometimes long distances traveled for sessions, hours per week are inconsistent.
A simple tutoring position
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Forest Grove, OR14 June 2019
This was something that I was able to do online in my free time. As a dual sport student-athlete, I did not have that much time to work, so this allowed me to develop teaching skills while making money.
Very nice place to work
Spanish Teacher/ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at Home13 June 2019
I have worked at Varsity for quite some time now and I am very pleased. It's learning platform allows the tutor to explain the target language thoroughly. Varsity is very popular there are always many students looking for tutors, so it is a good source of income. They pay on time and resolve any issue promptly.
Pros
Excellent learning platform, pay on time
Perfect College Job
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UT6 June 2019
I started at Varsity Tutors unsure of how long I would actually try working there, but I stayed and I have loved it. It’s been perfect for me as a college student. I get to help others were struggling, which I really enjoy doing, and I get to solidify the material I’m teaching in my head as well. It’s a win-win. Being able to pick how many clients you work with, the hours you work with them, and having it all online has been a dream, allowing me to still travel back home, go on vacation, etc., without having to worry about whether or not I can get work off. I like the experience that comes from being your own time manager, and the challenge that comes from figuring out how best to help your clients. I will probably keep working with them for as long as I am in school, and maybe even after.
Pros
Flexible hours, great platform, convenient, online, remote, decent pay
Varsity Tutors is forever growing! Opportunities are as well.
Client Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Remote5 June 2019
Varsity Tutors is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The company is continually growing and evolving, and with that has come many new opportunities for employees. Management really listens to their employees and implements changes as a direct result of the feedback. Managers truly have an open door policy, and make you feel comfortable going to them for any needs. I've experienced the culture both in-person at the offices, as well as remotely. The company does an amazing job of including remote employees and making them feel just as "connected" and part of the team. They also take work-life balance very seriously. You'll never feel guilty for putting your health or your family first. With that said, there are those who want to work extra hours - and there is almost always overtime available, if you want it. The day to day can be fast-paced and sometimes challenging, but employees are empowered with all the tools and resources they need to be successful. There is often a competitive nature in some of the roles, but the company keeps things light and fun, offering contests and additional incentives each month. I can truly say that I love what I do, and love working for the company. I believe in the company's mission values, and take pride in my work. I am not the only one who feels like this. There is a reason why many new employees are referrals from existing employees.
Pros
Remote opportunities; bonuses and incentives; growth opportunities
Cons
Limited growth if working remotely
Good part time job with flexible hours
Tutor, K-12 (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN4 June 2019
I had this job while in school. It was a rewarding gig, but Varsity took much too large of a cut of my pay. I was the only tutor in the area qualified to teach some of the subjects I taught, yet varsity took well over half of my pay. Tutors are much better off finding their own clients.
Low pay, no prep compensation, poor tech support and management
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Online4 June 2019
I've worked for Varsity for a couple of years and have never had a manager, only a "contact us" field that is answered maybe within a day, if you're lucky. The learning platform is buggy and issues aren't solved quickly.
They do have a test and practice problem bank, but there is no way to revise clearly incorrect questions, and diagnostic tests cannot be sent directly to students the way practice tests can be, which means tutors don't see the test results by default.
The pay is far too low ($15/hour for online regular-demand subjects, $18/hour for in-person sessions in the same subjects, more if you teach high-demand subjects like calculus and computer science) for the amount of work you put in, and includes no compensation for the time spent preparing for sessions. I would understand keeping costs low for families, but parents pay upwards of $40/hour for sessions, sometimes as high as $70. The low pay for tutors is unconscionable.
I continue working with Varsity because I believe I'm helping students who have already given money to the company and can't get out of the contract, and I believe I'm making progress, but the instant I don't feel that, I'm out.
Pros
Learning platform makes things easier, they handle billing
Cons
Low pay, no management, poor tech support
Criminally Underpaid
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Seatle3 June 2019
Students pay approx $70/hour of tutoring, tutors are paid $15-22/hour for tutoring. Overhead rate obscenely high, charges students more than any other tutoring service and drastically underpays tutors. Online tutoring prices vary based on location for some reason? System does not work with recommending locations to tutor far outside the travel range you have set, controls any communication between students and tutor, requires a non-compete agreement.
A 90 minute tutoring session plus 90 minutes of transport paid about $30. Do NOT work here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.