VanWest College

VanWest College Employee Reviews

Canada6 reviews
A generally good school in most respects but quite disorganized with the curriculum and teacher communications. A much higher workload than they let on, with a huge amount of unpaid take-home work. Programs overall were good but in-house material was of very poor quality and never vetted by anyone until new teachers come in and notice all the errors. (Even then management resisted making neessary changes) Curriuculum was always in flux and the curric developer never answered emails, phone calls nor ever updated the material once. Support staff were fantastic but overworked and tired all the time. So much frustration and confusion resulted in just trying to fix the course syllabi, exam anamolies, and the sub-par supplemental material mistakes across two campuses, never mind doing all the usual take-home essay and test corrections - you end up making less than minum wage.
Pros
Modern school, clean, great support staff.
Cons
Teachers left to develop courses on their own (unpaid) time; disorganized management structure
Teaching and reception staff friendly. Manager very disorganized and secretive. Not a school, is a business. Teacher's lose job's for poor reason's. Good luck if you choose to work here. I saw someone fired because a student didn't like her. Also, marks are not really important for student advancement, they push student's through to the next level even if they do not meet proper educational requirements. It's about money, not a proper ESL education and cultural experience. Student textbook's are not updated frequently enough, end up being dated and teacher's are either not listened to or they are not provided with much opportunity to provide input regarding this matter. I could go on, however I think that is enough.
Pros
Nice teachers and support staff
Cons
Secretive, no job security, poor management, dated material is the norm
Was briefly employed as a substitute instructor and would have welcomed the opportunity to remain on as the work environment, students, staff, and management were wonderful. Unfortunately, I moved out of province and could not continue to work at VanWest.
The HR team was professional and had nothing to hide.

Everything was upfront and the work culture was better than average.

The location was central so I liked that.
Do not care about your own time, make you work long hours including weekends & holidays. Management needs training on how to appropriately speak with employees. Would not recommend to work if you can't handle stress and high work load.
I'm currently business management student at Vanwest college.
This is not a working space, but an educational space. I learned English and a lot of business skills, and I learned about Canada.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at VanWest College. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7