VANTAGE COMMUNITY SERVICES logo
VANTAGE COMMUNITY SERVICES

VANTAGE COMMUNITY SERVICES Employee Reviews

2.6
Work-life balance

Great place to work to gain experience.

Overall had a good experience working here. Can be very stressful and draining especially through covid and lock-downs but team pulled through. Colleagues were amazing. Management has years of experience so are very knowledgeable and supportive. Met some amazing kids.

Pros

Paid training, paid lunches/supper etc, weekly staff meetings, on-call support through crisis, great staff, great kids

Cons

No breaks, stressful, draining

Stressful busy group home environment

Busy days, shift work. It was clearly explained 5 days on/2 days off. Seniority based for preference of days off (understandable). Management is supportive, if you need support just have to ask. Youth struggle through different situations in their lives and need positive supportive, reliable adults to support them. Hard days and good days, like any group home environment. Great team of co-workers is a bonus.

Pros

Supportive management and co workers

Cons

Salary

Fairly Typical Group Home Environment

Sterotypical group home environment. Dealing with the youth can be exhausting as it is in any other group home. Ma nagement are pretty good about listening to staff concerns.

Busy environment with strong collaboration

Supervisors were easy to talk to. Walk-in days were busy and stressful. Collaboration was beneficial. Encouraged to work on my own while still being supported and guided through difficult problems.

Pros

Direct contact with supervisors

Cons

Late hours some days

Vantage has great clients.

discovered quickly that vantage is looking for “yes men”. would rate it zero stars if the site allowed it. I loved the work and I loved the clients that we served. Unfortunately, management was terrible and provided no support for most staff. Take the other reviews seriously.

Terrible

Will cause you to have mental health problems (anxiety) due to the extreme stress of the job, lack of support or staffing, and terrible work life balance The pay is awful Management do not care about you or the kids.

understaffing largest issue

the rotating schedule was 5 on, two off. this was problematic because the group required 24/7 coverage, so no two staff could have matching days off. senority determined which staff got weekend days off. as a newer staff with tuesdays and wednesdays off, the work/life balance is unsustainable.

Unsafe environment

Worked with Vantage in the past and had a very bad experience. Felt unsafe at work and not provided with the right tools or with the right amount of staff. Management is supposed to be on call if there are emergencies but that can not be relied on. Ended up quitting because I felt unsafe and figured it wasn't worth my own personal wellbeing for the money.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Unsafe work environment

Very professional and exciting work environment

I enjoyed my time spent at vantage and I was really craving that sense of professionalism in my life and the agency went above and beyond in the category for me. The staff is great!

Great work experience and culture

I read the last couple of reviews and I have to say they do not fit with my experience there at all so I had to write a review. The experience and training provided was amazing! The Supervisors have many years of experience and have worked front line, so they know the job and are able to give you lots of guidance on how to manage certain situations. They have staff appreciation events and super fun staff retreat days to show you they are grateful for all of your hard work. The shift work can be difficult, but its a part of what to expect if you want to work in this industry. And working weekends? You have to put in your time and earn a different rotation. I know exactly what type of employee they were who wrote the previous reviews - the ones who want to work 8-4 Monday to Friday, never work a weekend or a stat holiday, and expect managers to come in and do their job for them. It's a very busy environment, so you have to take some initiative to look up information about certain disorders or possible interventions, etc if you don't have that information. Don't wait until a team meeting or a training - take responsibility for your shifts and your performance. Help to build your capacity yourself, and seek out your supervisor to help you with this. I have always found them to be very supportive. Those that think the schedule was unfair obviously have no concept of what seniority and yrs experience means. You earn those rotations on the schedule. If you want to learn a lot about this industry, this is the right agency for you! Their Supervisors are amazing and will teach you so -

Pros

Great training and supportive work environment

Cons

shift work

Jobs at VANTAGE COMMUNITY SERVICES

See more jobs

Negative

This agency is incredibly negative. Staff come and go with no support or encouragement from management. Staff do not receive proper training and end up overwhelmed. Management speaks down to you regularly and makes you feel less than on a regular basis. I worked here for many months and never received a thank you for picking up countless overtime shifts and never was given any positive feedback on my job performance. You really are just a warm body as they cant keep staff more than a couple months eventhough staff attempts continuesly to speak their concerns to management. Constantly told "in my day, I worked with 6 youth on my own". No regard to staff safety and concern. Awful environment

Pros

Amazing youth

Cons

All the above!

No support

This is a very difficult and negative place to work. Management will place many expectations on you without guidance, support, or appreciation. You are expected to stay if the next staff does not show up. Worked many doubles without any "thanks". No debrief after crisis. On-call is supposed to help you during crisis but they only make matters worse. They don't know all the youth and their circumstances yet they force you into situations to "help" or tell you how to do things that further escalate the situation. If you decide to work here, you will have no life. And expect to be treated poorly. You will also leave with worse mental health then when you came.

Cons

No place to advance, You are just a warm body for them, easily replaceable because some other young naive person will come in and take your place, They will not support you or fight for you, No stability, hours are divided unfairly, Work every weekend

This was a great place to work. I learned a lot from the frequent team meetings and training. The salary posted on here is not correct. Their salary is fairly competitive with other agencies, and you get an annual increase. Shift work can be challenging, but they offer good benefits (like 2 weeks paid holidays, moving day, etc). You are part of the union, so there is a collective agreement that gets re-negotiated every 3 years.

Pros

Free meal during your shift (lunch or dinner)

Cons

shift work

Great workplace!!

This is a great place! This place has given me many opportunities for professional development that has been relevant for my career. There has been lots of challenges but I received the support needed to implement change and grow. I made many positive relationships with the youth, other staff, and management. My employment with this agency has been pivotal in assisting in my career direction.

Pros

Professional development opportunities, most I the people I worked with were hard working and dedicated to the clients

Experience

the youth in the agencies were amazing, but when you work in a stressful environment you would like to have the support of the supervisors and management team. there was no support no guidance, no positive energy. No breaks. and if you brought up a concern to a supervisor I've personally been waved off saying "you should already know how to do this" its a very toxic agency.