Vanguard Employee Reviews

Vanguard
Employment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC18 September 2018
Vanguard had a very strict dress code at the time I worked there. The benefits were great but the monetary compensation was not competitive. Vanguard is a great place to start a career.
Don't Be Fooled
Retirement Plan Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ18 September 2018
I found Vanguard to be a bit of a 'wolf in sheep's clothing'.
It seemed like a reasonable place for someone my age. No pressure to get licensed if you have no interest (That has changed). Great benefits and supposedly, pay raises.

To start with the positive: If you can remain on the payroll there is a bonus earned in the calendar year, but not paid until June of the following year. However, although you may have 'earned' the bonus if you are not on payroll on June 30th of the following year, you don't get the bonus.
The health insurance and other benefits are good.
The 401(K) is generous, BUT the vesting period is 6-years.

Good luck advancing anywhere if you don't get your license. It is very difficult to advance at Vanguard if you don't. It is also very difficult to get an interview for posted positions if your numbers aren't perfect. There is a sense of nepotism.

The metrics are typical of a call center, but not easy to meet consistently and if you don't meet them consistently you can be placed on a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP).
Many requests for additional coaching and training went unanswered so, how can you improve your performance? Assimilation??

The initial training for what can be complicated financial tasks was inadequate and lacking in any real-time or hands-on experience. All follow-up training was lacking as well. No hand-outs, the trainers are not actual trainers, just co-workers and a.limited time allotted to training because everyone must get back to the phones. You are expected to memorize as much as you can and apply it to the best of
  more... your ability.

There are multiple VG locations, but the reach across from one location to another feels very much like "them against us". Co-workers do not treat each other with respect and certainly management does not seem to respect those in the trenches.

Overall, I felt like I took a lot of abuse from callers and co-workers and didn't get much support from management. Set-up to fail.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, training, management, metrics
About my company
SQL/Tableau developer (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PA17 September 2018
It is an excellent company to work, we have access to several courses to improve our professional capacity, in spite of a large volume of work, you are always open to talk about issues and accepted new suggestions. Amazing environment, we always receive gratefulness.
Productive day assisting customers with finances
Retirement Plan Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PA17 September 2018
To develop knowledge of VG client relationship Group, retirement plan products and services the overall financial markets, an the related legal issues
Pros
Great opportunity to learn finances
Cons
Would have liked different job levels that didn't require series 6 or 63
They make it all about you until you get in there...
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  United States17 September 2018
I'm not going to lie, I loved this company. My blood, sweat and a lot of tears went to this company. But see, no matter how much they claim how it's so diverse and life at Vanguard is all about diversity, the truth is, if you don't get into one of their cliques, you are an outcast. All it takes is one person who doesn't like you, or differences in work ethics/personality, etc. If you are not in with management, consider yourself stuck. I have watched friends and other peers quit, get fired for reasons beyond my understanding. It is all about the outward appearance. If you don't fit their bill, you will go nowhere. And if you ever try to complain, they will dig up the tiniest things, no matter how small, and make you look like the worst employee.

Am I bitter? Not in the least. Heartbroken? Yeah. I'll do that. This company failed me. I pray they change one day. There are good people there.
Pros
Great benefits, partnership, charitable events
Cons
They may be diverse in hiring, but that doesn't mean they will treat you nice. A lot of covering up of problematic behavior, pay needs to be better. Only work/home balance for management only.
It is the Walmart of financial investment firms
PORTFOLIO IMPLEMENTATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ16 September 2018
The focus with client servicing positions is on metrics only, so clients can have their requests sit for months on the back burner because it would screw up personal metrics to take the time to throroughly review the client request and let the client know exactly what additional info is needed. For tuition reimbursement, expect to be promised 100 percent reimbursement, and expect to then be reimbursed half the amount you paid. They offer benefits routinely and routinely look for loopholes to prevent paying for them. To get promoted, do a project that doesnt focus on the future benefit to client or company, but focuses only on how good you will look in the short term. Study the employee info so you know your bosses face and likes and dislikes, because the only way to be promoted is to ensure they all like you, and you must be a daily cheerleader whenever they are around.
Project Management
Business Technology Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA8 September 2018
Project Managers at Vanguard are given more work than can be completed within the confines of a 40 hour work week. Work is expected after hours, during paid time off and you can forget about eating a normal lunch. Avoid PM jobs and the company is fine otherwise. Every other job I've held at the company was enjoyable.
Pros
Good benefits package - especially 401K
Cons
Workload is too much.
Great First Job, but just that
Advanced Investment Professional (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA8 September 2018
Most people start in the call center, which consists of answering 50 phone calls a day. Client is only calling in if there is a problem. The people are what makes the day bearable.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay, micromanaged, advancement opportunities
Fun place
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MI7 September 2018
It was a great place to work at I learned a lot from the guys there everyone was layed back and cool to be around if you love classic cars vanguard is the place to be
Communications Associate (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PA4 September 2018
No longer employed at this company for years. Made a career move and took my career choice in another direction. At this time, unable to answer any questions pertaining to Vanguard.
Pros
Unknown
Cons
Unknown
Great non monetary benefits
Sr. Fund Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA31 August 2018
Vanguard offers an excellent PTO and health insurance package and has significant opportunity for advancement within the company. Unfortunately, their compensation structure is tightly regimented which makes it a difficult decision to advance from an hourly position to a salaried position. I don't know many individuals that would willingly sign up for new opportunities and challenges while taking a 20% pay cut. This is a great place to get experience, but staying too long can be a determent to salary throughout your career.
Work place
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ31 August 2018
Great place to work if you have a great leader. Opportunity for advancement and growth. Great benefits. Do recommend it to others when I am asked for a recommendation.
Good company
Digitial Media Designer/Video Engineer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PA30 August 2018
It is a great company to work for, however they are replacing a lot of tenured employees with contractors. That's why I retired. I had to wear a lot of hats and multitask a lot. I volunteered a lot and helped out whenever I could. It was fun, most of the time. Some management were financial consultants in the wrong role. They need to be more selective of who they put in charge of video and audio professionals.
Pros
Great work life balance, good pay after 15 years. Some management is great.
Cons
Some management is horrible and do not know the dept. they are running.
Facade of Professional/Professional Development
Coordinator / Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PA30 August 2018
I drank the cool-aid when I first arrived at Vanguard. Everyone seemed to love the culture, job security and benefits. My experience showed that there was a lot of emphasis across the enterprise of professional/personal development, however, the managers are so laden with meetings, that you rarely get that one-on-one time to truly develop.
Great place to work, poor management
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ25 August 2018
Great company with great benefits for its employees but very poor management. Hardest part of the job is learning internal processes that can be ambiguous and inefficient.
Benefits
Cons
Productive and client focused company
Advice Offer Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA23 August 2018
Plenty of opportunities for challenging work and development. Classes and programs available to help further employee careers. Depending on the position, there is visibility from senior leadership. VG has a major rotational nature so you will find that many move around from position to position every 18 months to 2 years at least.
Its alright if you love the industry
FLAGSHIP SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC22 August 2018
Mediocre pay
Charlotte is a bottlenecked site, you either work in IT as a contractor or you work on the phones and escape to management.

Hundreds of employees apply to the few roles offered.
Team building with entertaining outside activities
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC21 August 2018
You knew what was expected of your position and given the tools needed.
I was given the time, tutoring and resource to complete my FINRA licensing. They also paid for the process which is very rare.
Pros
Yearly bonus for all employees based on company perfomance.
Cons
Management changed often and it could be frustrating.
Great place to work as a contractor...
Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC21 August 2018
Although I was a contract employee, some of the best training I've received in my career in finance came from Vanguard. Management sees the value in front line associates which is something almost unheard of in today's corporate environment.
Pros
Great cafeteria, Management encourages collaboration
Cons
fun place to work around
Sr. Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA16 August 2018
Decent ethical place to work at.
Professional teams, good flexibility with work hours.
Human Resources work with your schedule.
Really like working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanguard. Our community is ready to answer.