Vanguard Employee Reviews

Join the Crew if you like degradation..
Institutional Investor Group (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA11 December 2018
At first I thought working at Vanguard would be a great experience, but soon to find out I had made a terrible mistake of accepting the offer. Unless you are immune to stress and degradation, if you're not in top mental health shape, it's going to be a life changing bad experience due to the poor treatment from managers. Vanguard has no shame when it comes to calling people out for their mistakes and great at making you feel like you're worthless on the job. Institutional Investor Group/ Client Services, CRA, Hardship, Trust Services -this is a job you have to be passionate about, keep your head down and do not attract attention, and never express any emotion to anyone, nor trust anyone as a confidant. The pay is so low in most departments it's not even worth it. Managers also treat contractors on our team without any respect and if you're Crew that used to be a contractor they take turns testing you and messing with you - like initiation to the company just because they, too, were treated poorly as contractors and act like a rite of passage. Only the strong survive.
Cons
Cut-throat, Vanguard is known for low-blows, old technology, bad benefits, very busy office environment, you feel guilty taking a break because you have to keep up your numbers, cafe food sucks, sneaky managers, and more.
Ok
Recieving Associate (Former Employee) –  Conover, NC2 December 2018
Good working place
Only reason I left was becuase was offered another job with more pay that fell off and didn’t work out
Overall good place, could of payed a little more though wasent easy work
Cons
No free lunches, no overtime
Enjoyed my experience
Personal investor (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PA23 November 2018
You can always grow at Vanguard. People are always willing to help you, you just have to be willing to reach out and ask for the help. Knowing exactly what position is appropriate for you is also an important task when accepting your job title. They do require tests to be taken via FINRA. They can be challenging! Make sure you take all the time you are given to study!!!
Good Benefits
BUSINESS TECH ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PA21 November 2018
Good working and retirement benefits. I wish they had a pension, but almost nobody wants to do that anymore.
My day at my last job had become tedious and stressful.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Advancement was difficult
Good company to work.
Senior Tech Analyst / Dev ops Consultant (Current Employee) –  Malvern PA18 November 2018
Amazing work culture ! I have worked with many managers being as release team lead it was amzingn oppurtunity to work on new tools including NGA architecture. Leaning cloud tools were always interesting.
Fast pace and professional atmosphere
Investment Advisor Representative (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PA16 November 2018
This was my first "real job" out of college and was a very well managed company with several positive lessons for life long achievements to be learned.
Pros
ecellent role models
Cons
time deadlines everyday
Incredibly competitive and stressful, but good benefits
Client relationship associate (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PA6 November 2018
My position at Vanguard was their client relationship associate/ brokerage investment professional. I don't believe Vanguard is very honest about the job when you go through training, it is incredibly stressful, and not flexible. You take incoming calls all day long from clients, and get a lunch and 30 minutes of break a day that you can only use during certain times. It's extremely competitive to move on to anything else, but might be worth it if your end goal is to work as a financial advisor or another sector of finance there. I don't think there is enough support for employees and clients can be truly awful, would not suggest this position for anyone not interested in customer service.
Pros
Lots of PTO, good benefits, fair hours
Cons
Short breaks, competitive, not flexible or diversity in your day
Customer service role with a toe in financial waters
Brokerage Representative (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ4 November 2018
The company itself and colleagues are great. However it is a call center job with some investment advice mixed in. Most people have no financial background when they start while some have a lot. While management is ok, the culture is very conservative. You aren't rewarded for better results making it very stagnant yet safe. Higher roles are few and far between if you want to leave the customer service side.
Pros
401k/Employee savings plan, healthcare, culture
Cons
Movement within the company is scare depending on the department you want to go into
If you can handle call center, good place to work
Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC31 October 2018
The people and culture at Vanguard were great. There was always something going on to try and break up the monotony of being tied to the phone all day, but eventually I couldn't deal. The calls were non-stop, back to back. Call metrics are very big. They stress not being on the phone too long, but also delivering the best customer service.
Pros
Cons
non stop back to back calls
productive and stress free environemnt
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA27 October 2018
yes the mangement was good and tech leads very helpful when ever required,provided free lunches sometime when there was releses and good place to be. all good
Slow
Cook (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SD25 October 2018
Super slow running with not alor of advancement. Management is very bad and don't care about their employees personal life at all. Food is good but expensive for the amount.
Management help working better then expected
Participant services representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ25 October 2018
I would recommend this job, but chose the department you chose to work for carefully.
Not every department potential and growth with the company is equal to other departments, but opportunities are available through out most departments. Be prepared for a micro managed metric system, in Participant services department.
Get in, learn quickly, move on.
Pros
Company as a whole Great
Cons
Not every department equal in advancements
I think this has been a awesome experience.
Stipend Coordinator/Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA23 October 2018
While working in accounting I have trained new associates on calls, expense reports and the time keeping system. I have learned the skills and am confident in the training I am providing.
Great place to work!
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK22 October 2018
Great management, great atmosphere. Really good people.If you want to take a vacation and don't have time. Just schedule it and they will give it to you unpaid. No pressure, just get your job done. Tim Smith(manager) is great. He has been the manager for over 33 years.
Pros
people, management, owner, time off, will work with you
Cons
no air conditioning
Work day
Retirement Plan Associate (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA18 October 2018
Flexible hours and great work atmosphere. Very friendly colleges and relaxed environment. Its an easy place to work and offer great holidays. Also has great facilities.
Great work life balance but like to hire externally
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA15 October 2018
Vanguard is a great place to work. The jobs are very easy, they dont push you very hard and it is an easy place to coast. However with the amount of people they hire at the lower levels it continually gets more competitive until they just start hiring externally.
Outstanding professional employees and excellent and knowledgeable IT staff and equipment.
Consultant for Project Planning and Implementation (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PA15 October 2018
I worked as a contractor for Vanguard for 3 years, I was very impressed by the management and employee dedication. The IT department had the best and knowledgeable employees and equipment I had ever seen. I worked for the Print and Mail operation and their employees were dedicated and very hard working. I very much enjoyed my time at Vanguard and would gladly accept either another contract position or a full-time management position.
Pros
Hard working and knowledgeable employees, on-site cafeteria, very tight security.
Cons
None.
A great place to work, but it is fast paced
Record Keeping and Processing Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ14 October 2018
I enjoy the company and the products they offer. But it is fast paced and can be high stress. It can take a certain type to work there. Just be aware of that before applying.
Great benefits, long vestments and corporate kool-aid
Not going to disclose this (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA11 October 2018
It's very easy to begin on the phones, and most people do in fact. The issue is escaping them. Because the company is getting large, yet more efficient, it's creating more jobs at the lower level and less at the medium/higher level.

Management acts passively and is not candid. There's a consistent feeling of 'them' and 'you' that is inseparable. When you finally do escape the phones/call center, you are disappointed with how happy you thought you would have been. Instead, you are micromanaged by people who have no idea what you do.

There are plenty of opportunities if you aspire to be a manager. The problem is most managers do not know what they're doing. Technical expertise is dwarfed by general knowledge, buzz words and leadership meetings and 'off-sites' or symposiums. This is what managers spend the majority of their time doing.

The atmosphere itself is not necessarily conducive to new ideas or input. A typical day consists of you attempting to tackle your workload in an inefficient manner, usually due to technology constraints.

If you want to work in an environment with Greek life alumni and 24 year old managers, this is the place for you.
Pros
Benefits are nice, Retirement is outstanding, but vesting requirements are 6 years
Cons
Often stressful work environment (client-facing or not), Your input is rarely taken into account, The pay is low compared to industry standards.
Productive and great team work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PA10 October 2018
I enjoyed working at Vanguard before relocating. There was always work to be done every day and new things to learn. I enjoyed working with my colleges and helping out wherever needed.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Minimal increases

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanguard. Our community is ready to answer.