Vancouver School Board Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
programmer/ Moresports Hub Developer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2019
Working here is always fun, new programs allow for new experiences for the kids enrolled. Coworkers allow for a fun, upbeat environment. Insightful workshops are always readily available.
provided excellent customer service
Youth Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2019
I learned to manage my time wisely. learned to work on a clean and safe environment while enjoying the job at the same time. learned to be a good team player
It's a great place
Permanent School and Student Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 November 2018
The VSB pays decently and provides employees with good benefits, like pension plans, health and dental benefits. Also, good hours to work and good if you enjoy working with students.
good place for first job out of college
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2018
I enjoyed the job, the people and especially the money. It was a busy fast paced place, which I thrive in. The money was great especially right out of college
Very secure, hard to make change.
Track Coach (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 September 2018
I really enjoyed my specific position. The people I worked with were very enjoyable and my hours were very dependable. However, if there is something you want to take up with management don't bother trying.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Lack of control oer what you do and your environment
Government sector, so good pay
Human Resources/Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2018
Good pay and benefits. But management at head office is terrible. Unorganized and no room for advancement in a career. You can move jobs and get paid a couple dollars more, but for anyone looking for a meaningful career - do not work at the head office.
Good experience
worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 July 2018
Working for the VSB has been a good experience so far. The pay is good for students. However my only issue is that you can only work a maximum of 12 hours a week as a summer student worker.
Good work life balance
School and Student Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 July 2018
As an on call School and Student Support Worker, I have the opportunity to visit and see different programs from many schools. Everyday I experience new challenges and of the many students and staff, I support and help with their academics, communications, and team base group strategies. This is the most rewarding job!
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
love working with kids of different ages
Supervision Aide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 May 2018
the most enjoyable part is, I enjoy working of all ages.
hardest part of the job is having to deal with different problems.
I've learnt how to solve different problems in different ways.
typical day at work, I supervise the children during their recess and lunch breaks. Sometimes in between as well.
overall good
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  vancouver5 May 2018
Toxic environment at school board office. Working in schools was much more enjoyable, kids and staff were great. Recommend not working at head office.
So fun to volunteer
Newcomer Orientation and Welcome to BC program (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 May 2018
I'ved volunteered for vsb for more than 3 times already, it's fun to volunteer even thought it you wont get paid. It's fun to prepare the stuffs that we need to do for others and get to know fellow volunteers
enjoyable workplace to be at
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 February 2018
Typical day is reporting into the office, from there getting deployed to varying job sites. Was trained on a case backhoe through them. hardest part is getting to everywhere Needed in 7.5hrs.
Good place to work and get experience in many fields of maintenance
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2018
There are many different jobs opportunities offered by the VSB, allowing for the development of many different skills. The management team allows for development within the company.
Pros
Great work environment
Provides a safe place and learning environment for children
Administrative Assistant, Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 September 2017
I have been at this position for 21 years. A school is a great place to work, as you are constantly learning and helping others. There are many types of employment at a school.
Pros
watching students learn and work together
Cons
deadlines, fast paced
My work place is so good. Everyone is so helpful.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2017
I love my job, I learned so many different things with kids . My work environment is so good, everyone is so helpful. At work time goes really fast . My work experience always help out
great place to work, union was good, staff were nice
SEA (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 June 2017
I never had any problems, great place to work. the only thing I didn't like was that other staff can take your job if they've been there longer.
******************************************************************************
Fun but challenging experience
REC N' READ LEADER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2017
I was in charge of a group of thirty five-year-old students and five volunteers. I learned that I must be attentive and patient with kids due to their difference in behaviours in comparison with adults.
review
Adult Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2017
The work days were typical the management managed. I learned about the workplace culture and what was the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job.
Travel to different schools provide social emotional learning and self-regulation strategies to students
Short-Term Intensive Behaviour Support (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 March 2017
I truly enjoy my position as a STIBS worker. I tend to continue researching programs, making visuals, reviewing videos and reading books on the topic of behaviour long hours after work.
I love to see students benefit from my hard work. They deserve the best I can offer!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours.
Unnecessarily stressful
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2017
Not a pleasant culture to work in. I felt disrespected and persistently bullied by supervisors who seemed sanctioned to degrade some workers and favor others. I felt so stressed day in and day out that I lost over 20 pounds and retired early.
Pros
Warm dry environment to work in.
Cons
Disrespectful treatment.