Vancouver School Board Employee Reviews

Very much a team oriented environment
Teacher for 37 years (Elementary) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 August 2019
Great team environment to work in. My colleagues were highly motivated and dedicated professionals. As a classroom teacher you have to be adaptable and willing to work together and be open to change and new ideas.
Pros
Extremely rewarding job, Excellent staff
Cons
Lack of funding for special needs students
HR/Head Office needs a lot of work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 July 2019
The job itself is incredibly easy as school support. However if you want to advance at all and you're not one of the HR favourites, don't expect the chance. Favourites will get to write the "testing" two or three times, while regular folk get one shot.
The testing is way more advance than anything you would do on any given day.
The benefits make it worth it, the hours are great, the pay is okay, not a Vancouver livable wage.
Chronic Mismanagement at the district level and a culture of bullying in schools and at the board office
CLASSROOM TEACHER/TOC, KINDERGARTEN TO GRADE SEVEN (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 July 2019
Don't work for the Vancouver School Board. The mismanagement at the school board office will drive you around the bend and they will even try to cheat you. They will probably succeed unless you enlist the aid of the local. They unilaterally cut my contract short by sending it back to me with the date changed and tried to shortchange me for part of spring break despite having worked in a full time contract for six months. I witnessed school principals who were bullies on a number of occasions. Their anti-bullying policies don't apply to the board office and don't apply to their administrators. Make a better choice. Choose any other district or private school.
Pros
Free marking
Cons
Mismanagement, cheating, workplace bullying
Productive, good environment to work in.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 July 2019
We usually help out with the filing and photocopying around the office. As well as operating the cafeteria and cleaning up. One shift is approximately four hours and we work for about couple days a week.
Enjoyable
programmer/ Moresports Hub Developer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2019
Working here is always fun, new programs allow for new experiences for the kids enrolled. Coworkers allow for a fun, upbeat environment. Insightful workshops are always readily available.
provided excellent customer service
Youth Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2019
I learned to manage my time wisely. learned to work on a clean and safe environment while enjoying the job at the same time. learned to be a good team player
Best Career Ever
Special Needs Support Worker (Former Employee) –  East Vancouver, British Columbia31 December 2018
I really miss working at the Vancouver School Board. This career was the most rewarding in all of my life. The Vancouver School Board provided me with education to advance in programs that I was really interested in to help the kids I worked with.
It's a great place
Permanent School and Student Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 November 2018
The VSB pays decently and provides employees with good benefits, like pension plans, health and dental benefits. Also, good hours to work and good if you enjoy working with students.
good place for first job out of college
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2018
I enjoyed the job, the people and especially the money. It was a busy fast paced place, which I thrive in. The money was great especially right out of college
Very secure, hard to make change.
Track Coach (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 September 2018
I really enjoyed my specific position. The people I worked with were very enjoyable and my hours were very dependable. However, if there is something you want to take up with management don't bother trying.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Lack of control oer what you do and your environment
Government sector, so good pay
Human Resources/Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2018
Good pay and benefits. But management at head office is terrible. Unorganized and no room for advancement in a career. You can move jobs and get paid a couple dollars more, but for anyone looking for a meaningful career - do not work at the head office.
Good experience
worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 July 2018
Working for the VSB has been a good experience so far. The pay is good for students. However my only issue is that you can only work a maximum of 12 hours a week as a summer student worker.
Good work life balance
School and Student Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 July 2018
As an on call School and Student Support Worker, I have the opportunity to visit and see different programs from many schools. Everyday I experience new challenges and of the many students and staff, I support and help with their academics, communications, and team base group strategies. This is the most rewarding job!
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
love working with kids of different ages
Supervision Aide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 May 2018
the most enjoyable part is, I enjoy working of all ages.
hardest part of the job is having to deal with different problems.
I've learnt how to solve different problems in different ways.
typical day at work, I supervise the children during their recess and lunch breaks. Sometimes in between as well.
overall good
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  vancouver5 May 2018
Toxic environment at school board office. Working in schools was much more enjoyable, kids and staff were great. Recommend not working at head office.
So fun to volunteer
Newcomer Orientation and Welcome to BC program (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 May 2018
I'ved volunteered for vsb for more than 3 times already, it's fun to volunteer even thought it you wont get paid. It's fun to prepare the stuffs that we need to do for others and get to know fellow volunteers
enjoyable workplace to be at
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 February 2018
Typical day is reporting into the office, from there getting deployed to varying job sites. Was trained on a case backhoe through them. hardest part is getting to everywhere Needed in 7.5hrs.
Good place to work and get experience in many fields of maintenance
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2018
There are many different jobs opportunities offered by the VSB, allowing for the development of many different skills. The management team allows for development within the company.
Pros
Great work environment
Provides a safe place and learning environment for children
Administrative Assistant, Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 September 2017
I have been at this position for 21 years. A school is a great place to work, as you are constantly learning and helping others. There are many types of employment at a school.
Pros
watching students learn and work together
Cons
deadlines, fast paced
My work place is so good. Everyone is so helpful.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2017
I love my job, I learned so many different things with kids . My work environment is so good, everyone is so helpful. At work time goes really fast . My work experience always help out

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver School Board. Our community is ready to answer.

Vancouver School Board Reviews by Location