Vancouver Island University Employee Reviews

Great Employer
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2018
Great employer, lots of variety of work. They give you a great foundation and access to improving yourself through personal and professional development.
Horrible Politics
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 October 2018
If you live in Nanaimo, you'll likely to know someone who has worked/works at VIU and has been emotionally affected by their poor management and business practices.
People have a glorified idea about working at the University, but reality is, the salary is not as good as people think it is (lowest paid university in BC, if not Canada), and the politics BS you'll encounter are not worth the long term mental health issues this place will instil upon you.
Benefits
Cons
Unhealthy work environment campus wide
Nice campus with excellent professors
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC26 September 2018
The university itself is at a great location. I liked specially library sitting arrangement and the view out of the window. Professors are knowledgeable and friendly.
Math tutor
PRE-CALCULUS TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 September 2018
VIU is located in beautiful Nanaimo, BC. I was approached to tutor students in pre-calculus a few days a week and loved being given an opportunity to help people learn and to be successful in Mathematics.
Worked here during school
Tour Guide / Promotions (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 August 2018
Best job I've ever had, It never felt like work. The people made it great, and the atmosphere was very laid back.

Management has its issues and nothing ever changes; so as long as that benefits you, this is a good place to be.
Pros
lifestyle
Cons
pay, bureaucracy.
great people to work with
Technical Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC12 July 2018
I loved working here. the environment was great and the team is more like a family where everyone is there for one another. I would definitely go back given the opportunity
Pros
great team
Cons
lack of career advancement
it is excellent
ESL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 July 2018
It was an excellent experience to teach students from various backgrounds. I taught students from different countries. Arabs and Chinese students were the majority.
Elder in Resident (Faculty)
Elder in Resident (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC25 June 2018
My most rewarding one is I personally look forward each day getting up to go to work. I assist Faculty and staff understand First Nation Protocols. Share the importance of who we are as First Nation People.
Sharing similarities to students of what they study and how it can relate to First Nation Communities. Such as ECE, CYC, Nursing, Social Work, etc.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Not enough time in the day as we begin certain hour end certain hour.
Gives you an idea of priorities
Work-op student (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC10 February 2018
I spent a couple of semesters as a work-op student. The staff was friendly, but the lack of professionalism was palpable. Effort was given to appear helpful towards students, however the students were rarely served and/or accommodated in the manner in which they wanted or needed.
Perfect place for studying
International Student (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 January 2018
Since I have been here for only 2 weeks so I cannot give a detailed information about VIU. However, all the teachers here are willing to help and the academic integrity is highly appreciated
Pros
High quality studying and teaching
Fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia6 January 2018
A typical day would be to show up with a smile and on time and show/supervise High schoolers on the asinged machine.

I learned many ways of communicating information.

Managed the safety of the operator and everyone around him or her.

Workplace culture was fun but serious at the same time.

Hardest part was remembering we are all learning and out there and to have fun.

Most enjoyable part was meeting and interacting with a range of people.
Pros
free lunches
relaxed job culture
International Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 September 2017
The job culture is very relaxed and motivating, the team is very supportive and helpful. The management is very motivational and encourage a great work life balance. Feels like a home away from home.
Volunteering is always fun
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 May 2017
I have done Volunteering with Vancouver Island University. Is is about welcoming a new students and respond to their inquiring. However, most of the work online
effective team working
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC1 May 2017
It was a very nice work environment. My team was really friendly, helpful and effective. I was qualified and comfortable to work in different positions in discovery room at Vancouver Island University.
I love where I learn
Work-Op: Sports Coordinator at VIU Residence (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 February 2017
Vancouver Island University is a beautiful place to be. It's so positive, inclusive, and generally very enriching. I learned a lot as a growing student leader. My managers have allowed me so much room to grow and learn from my experience, and were always there for support when I needed them.
I enjoyed my time at VIU. I had not been in school for over 20 years and VIU made my decision go back to school one of the best decisions in my life.
Social Services Diploma (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC9 January 2017
I enjoyed doing group therapy and facilitating class presentations as it helped me get out of my comfort zone. I felt that I grew mentally, and emotionally Going back to school gave me confidence in my scholastic abilities.
Pros
Meeting like minded people, networking, class presentations, group work, teachers helped you succeed.
Cons
Parking
Nice place with heavy workloads
Professor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC30 November 2016
Many interesting people work here, and class sizes are fairly small. Workloads for academic faculty are heavy (14-16 contact hours/week).
Excellent Work Environment
University Relations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 April 2016
VIU is a great place to work. People are friendly, the unions are strong, and the wages are competitive. The campus is beautiful and parking is relatively easy. It's easy to get to.
Pros
Flexibility, professionalism
Cons
It can be difficult to get in/ move up
Great flexibility with online learning
University Instructor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 April 2016
Most enjoyable part of teaching adults online is the positive interactions with the participants/students and being able to coach, mentor and problem solve with adult learners about real work situations that have real meaning to them. Vancouver Island University has provided a fair amount of autonomy for the instructors to create a practical and meaningful course for students.
Pros
Working with teachers throughout BC and outside of the province
Cons
Resources and materials are purchased by the instructors themselves
Favourable working place
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC28 January 2016
Constructive, conducive and fancy. i have learnt teamwork and good communication skills. its management is well organised and gives humble working environment. actually i didn't experience that much hard time at work. i enjoy the fun moments with my workmates.
Pros
free Pizza
Cons
daily meetings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5