Vancouver Island University

Vancouver Island University Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews
A good place to begin your journey in Canada
As an international student from Indonesia, I would never expect that coming to VIU has made a difference in my campus journey. From exciting events to a gorgeous view of Nanaimo up from the library, VIU has almost everything to offer. Aside from that, the campus provides outdoor trips to get you around and experience fun recreations, or communities that might be interesting especially to international students who are looking to know more or develop skills, networks, and knowledge in VIU. It may keep a time busy along with studies, but that is part of college life. One fun fact about this campus is that it has many stairs that everyone will make the most of it from exercising.
Very great place to work
Working here is amazing. I was a very great experience to work here while attending classes at Vancouver Island University. I learned how to manage people and organize people when they weren't able to do it themselves. Taught me great leadership skills and organization.
Supportive place to work.
Lots of freedom in how you teach your classes. Great support from Admin and Department Managers. This is a very respectful workplace to be in, sometimes free lunches.
Supportive colleagues and friendly environment with state-of-the-art facilities. It's an ideal place for people to work at. Moreover, staff always have good chances to be promoted and prove themselves.
Excellent place to work. Great people. Excellent learning environment. People centric management culture. Innovative. Passioante about students and faculty.
Excellent people. Exellent company
The position is only 25 hours a week which is nice. This is a Great job for someone on a pension or other form of partial income. If you can live on 25 hours a week this is a perfect job.
Productive, Constructive and Positive
The values are clear. The goals are clear. The process is structured, yet flexible where the rubber meets the road, so you can build from week to week throughout a term or even throughout a year and see success reflected in the eyes of learners.
Great place
Awesome place to work, very supportive and love to work with students. I work online so pretty much on my own and keep my students on task as we move through the online course.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Vancouver Island University?
Productive and fun
At Vancouver Island University, we don't just hire employees; we hire people. Imagine a future with a job you love and a life you want to lead – imagine that future at Vancouver Island University. Known as a centre of excellence, VIU produces quality graduates who are in demand by employers across the country and around the world. We offer a supportive campus community focused on innovative teaching methods, undergraduate research opportunities and creating an exceptional learning experience for our students.
Awesome place to work
I worked in the viu kitchen for almost four years and it was one of the best jobs I have ever worked! I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this
Productive and fun workplace
Working for VIU with my team was amazing. The friendly atmosphere was the most enjoyable part of the job. I have earned significant friendships. Anyway, It was an awesome experience for me and my future.
Nice working environment
- The workplace culture and environment are impressing
- Nice working environment and good support from team and other department

- Professional working style
Great school
did my esthetics program through viu and was able to be hired immediately. staff is all nice and caring and the school has a diverse campus. everyone seems to enjoy their time here
valuable experiences
The supervisor will help you a lot in defining your career path. Friendly environment, and amazing colleague. Gain valuable knowledge, and experiences.
tutoring position for an upper level Nutrition class
I was responsible for creating review material to help students in the class gain a better understanding of the challenging course material. This involved learning how to teach and communicate difficult subject in a way that the easier to understand and to help develop study habits that would help the students succeed in the class.
Respectful, beautiful and fun environment!
From my first day I discovered how respectful, courteous, friendly and fun everyone is at VIU. Managers and supervisors encourage training and development and they allow you to manage your own workload but always invite you to request assistance, when required.
Opportunities always exist for staff to assist in other areas thereby increasing overall knowledge of the organization and cross training.

Staff orientation events are well organized and showcase employee benefits and allow new staff members to ask questions and to seek personalized assistance.

I recommend VIU to anyone looking to work in higher education in Canada!
Pros
Training and development
Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo is a good place for studying and working. Co-workers were nice and helpful. I had an amazing supervisor. As a student caller, I got to speak with alumni who shared their experience at VIU with me
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
Less shift hours
I loved teaching and enjoyed the students.
Each college was open and receptive to my ideas and concepts towards the courses I taught.

Students were brilliant and creative; they inspired me in my work and made teaching a gratifying experience. The classroom atmosphere was fun and open. Students were given suggestions for improvement and always praise and encouragement for the work they had done.
Pros
The Students
Cons
Sometimes long hours, self-imposed.
Most enjoyable work environment
Having come from a commercial experience, working at VIU was one of the most enjoyable work periods of my life. I was very disappointed when it apparently ended as well as the way the ending was managed by the permanent staff there
Pros
Working with Students
Cons
Parking is very expensive
The experience was nice and easy.
It was pretty simple I was a student learning through a university. I didn't feel stressed about the amount of people we served. it was easy to cook all the food we sold.
Pros
We were given free lunch every day.
Cons
It was a lot of studying.
Healthy Work environment
As a student caller work was sometimes good and some alumni were harsh and hung up on us as they didn't have a good experience studying at Vancouver Island University.
Pros
Holidays and Vacations
Cons
Long and intense interviews
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.6