Vancouver Island University Employee Reviews

it is excellent
ESL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 July 2018
It was an excellent experience to teach students from various backgrounds. I taught students from different countries. Arabs and Chinese students were the majority.
Elder in Resident (Faculty)
Elder in Resident (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC25 June 2018
My most rewarding one is I personally look forward each day getting up to go to work. I assist Faculty and staff understand First Nation Protocols. Share the importance of who we are as First Nation People.
Sharing similarities to students of what they study and how it can relate to First Nation Communities. Such as ECE, CYC, Nursing, Social Work, etc.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Not enough time in the day as we begin certain hour end certain hour.
Gives you an idea of priorities
Work-op student (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC10 February 2018
I spent a couple of semesters as a work-op student. The staff was friendly, but the lack of professionalism was palpable. Effort was given to appear helpful towards students, however the students were rarely served and/or accommodated in the manner in which they wanted or needed.
Perfect place for studying
International Student (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 January 2018
Since I have been here for only 2 weeks so I cannot give a detailed information about VIU. However, all the teachers here are willing to help and the academic integrity is highly appreciated
Pros
High quality studying and teaching
Fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia6 January 2018
A typical day would be to show up with a smile and on time and show/supervise High schoolers on the asinged machine.

I learned many ways of communicating information.

Managed the safety of the operator and everyone around him or her.

Workplace culture was fun but serious at the same time.

Hardest part was remembering we are all learning and out there and to have fun.

Most enjoyable part was meeting and interacting with a range of people.
Pros
free lunches
relaxed job culture
International Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 September 2017
The job culture is very relaxed and motivating, the team is very supportive and helpful. The management is very motivational and encourage a great work life balance. Feels like a home away from home.
Volunteering is always fun
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 May 2017
I have done Volunteering with Vancouver Island University. Is is about welcoming a new students and respond to their inquiring. However, most of the work online
effective team working
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC1 May 2017
It was a very nice work environment. My team was really friendly, helpful and effective. I was qualified and comfortable to work in different positions in discovery room at Vancouver Island University.
I love where I learn
Work-Op: Sports Coordinator at VIU Residence (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 February 2017
Vancouver Island University is a beautiful place to be. It's so positive, inclusive, and generally very enriching. I learned a lot as a growing student leader. My managers have allowed me so much room to grow and learn from my experience, and were always there for support when I needed them.
I enjoyed my time at VIU. I had not been in school for over 20 years and VIU made my decision go back to school one of the best decisions in my life.
Social Services Diploma (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC9 January 2017
I enjoyed doing group therapy and facilitating class presentations as it helped me get out of my comfort zone. I felt that I grew mentally, and emotionally Going back to school gave me confidence in my scholastic abilities.
Pros
Meeting like minded people, networking, class presentations, group work, teachers helped you succeed.
Cons
Parking

Want to know more about Vancouver Island University?

Ask a question
Nice place with heavy workloads
Professor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC30 November 2016
Many interesting people work here, and class sizes are fairly small. Workloads for academic faculty are heavy (14-16 contact hours/week).
Excellent Work Environment
University Relations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 April 2016
VIU is a great place to work. People are friendly, the unions are strong, and the wages are competitive. The campus is beautiful and parking is relatively easy. It's easy to get to.
Pros
Flexibility, professionalism
Cons
It can be difficult to get in/ move up
Great flexibility with online learning
University Instructor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 April 2016
Most enjoyable part of teaching adults online is the positive interactions with the participants/students and being able to coach, mentor and problem solve with adult learners about real work situations that have real meaning to them. Vancouver Island University has provided a fair amount of autonomy for the instructors to create a practical and meaningful course for students.
Pros
Working with teachers throughout BC and outside of the province
Cons
Resources and materials are purchased by the instructors themselves
Favourable working place
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC28 January 2016
Constructive, conducive and fancy. i have learnt teamwork and good communication skills. its management is well organised and gives humble working environment. actually i didn't experience that much hard time at work. i enjoy the fun moments with my workmates.
Pros
free Pizza
Cons
daily meetings
Excellent workplace with intecultural diversity acknowledgement
Bloomberg Data and Research Assistant (Internship) (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC20 November 2015
Working in this academic practice with excellent professors and professionals afforded me the opportunity to learn and grow from the best. I was able to work independently yet monitored close enough that I was able to gain confident in completing any tasks that are required. Provides equality and high acceptance towards skillful individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
An active learning environment made a good place to start.
Greenhouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC19 November 2015
The management could have been stronger, I find that employees will follow in a more dedicated fashion with a structured managerial system. It was a great place to become familiar with greenhouse technology and development. Under staffing was an issue, but I was able to overcome it by accepting the unexpected responsibility and running with it to my employers surprise no additional hiring was necessary.
Pros
Informative and Educational
Cons
Lack of leadership and structure.
Cool Place to work
ITIL Process Consultant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 October 2015
I am working here as part time so cant provide you in depth information but its nice place to work as people are good and cooperative.
Very Productive and good Teachers
Student (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo B.C18 September 2015
Very well knowledged Instructor for our welding level' C' Program learned all the basics of becoming a Welder threw our Foundation Instructor took his time to teach all hands on with his students on timley mannor and gave extra time to show how its to be done right.
I really enjoyed the Program was well informmed
Pros
Great Instructor
Cons
Not long enough classtimes threw the course
Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Administrative Assistant / Marketing Communication (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC9 April 2015
I always look forward to going to work every day.
I am a great team member so my co-worker are my best friends.
I am a goal getter so nothing is really hard for me intense of my job.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Too long hours
It's a fun, fast paced multicultural environment.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 January 2015
I really enjoy working in the Cafeteria at VIU.
It is very fast paced, you interact with all walks and races, you meet lots of amazing people.

The environment is rich with positive energy, lots of opportunity to learn. The management works around your availability which is ideal when you are raising a family.
Pros
Discounted food, excellent coastal view
Cons
at the top of campus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5