Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Pay & benefits reviews

Canada129 reviews
Viha is best place to work with. I had little bit hard time to work in the community because of meds administering and travelling in snow too, but I still worked with viha for one full year. I am good to work in the facilty more than community.
I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.
I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrs

The second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me.

As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.

I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.

I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.

Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.

Basically they deserve each other..

could be an amazing place if some management changes made.

When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.

I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers.

I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.
Pros
Liked the type of work, learned a lot
Cons
workplace culture
Comment – 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.
a typical day of work includes calling patients and booking their procedures and then entering their information into the computer and creating a slate for the operating room.

pro's- people are happy to get their operations booked and underway especially if they have been waiting for a long time.

con's- Sometimes you get inundated with urgent procedures and so you have to call people that were previously booked and cancel them to accommodate the urgent procedures and so sometimes people get upset.
Pros
good extended healthcare benefits
Cons
lots of sitting and often stressed
Great pay and benefits
Change happens slowly and there isn't always a lot of autonomy.
The workload can be heavy

Some programs are more client-centered than others
Obvious salary limitations working for a hospital but great guys to work with for a union environment. Progression is available if you are self motivated and display competence.
Pay is good, culture is riddled with issues - training was sub par, spent months only able to do the basics of the job. Pay is good and opportunities to pick up extra shifts are available.
They provide decent benefits. Wages are only so so for the work you do. Employees are very dispensable. You do get to meet great people. Once in , you can apply internally, for diff jobs within VIHA.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Minimal appreciation
Terrible union, not much support or benefits for the amount of yearly deductions

Toxic environment, toxic people seem to congregate.

Managers are hand picked from former managers friends

, usually not based on skill

No advancement

Changes in upper management turnaround as high as low skilled workers
Pros
Health and dental
Cons
Everything else
Excellent Benefits, great work life balance

While Island Health can be a great place to work, it does a poor job of holding on to talented and committed staff.
The team was amazing, decent pre-go-live orientation. a lot to learn. they management was great. regular check up on how everyone is copying with long hours
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
poor career advancement
Provides benefits for your family. The organization is poorly organized. To many different departments responsible for parts of processes. Making lots of room for errors. ex: payroll and booking vacation time. Policys developed by CEOs and not followed up by management, causing the employee to defend them self to other mangers.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance
The care provided by the majority of the workers is excellent. Many happy memories with the most sensitive time in a person's life. I have learned from people what is important to them. The staff is stretched to the limit. We are rushed with care. The baths are once a week .. bed bath daily with a quick swish. The politics times difficult to deal with. Gentle care policy is now in place so patients are handled with more care and less Arm & Arm approach.. The ceiling lifts are great.. patients enjoy the lift from bed to chair ect.. Activity programs are entertaining and caring and include family involvement. It is the most rewarding career I have ever had.
Pros
Patient Care is team based.
Cons
The salary has barely changed in the past 10 years.
Really enjoyed working for VIHA. Only moved on to support family else where. Was helped a lot by co-workers in getting my 4th class ticket. Vey good benefits.
Pros
Beautiful Location & culture
Cons
Wages a bit lower than Alberta
Love the job but the rate of pay needs to reflect the cost of living! Management is great wish there was more promotion from within. The hours are very reasonable!
I find that staff are not held accountable for their actions. To have a good work relationship, everyone needs to be a team player and be held accountable and we don't have that
Pros
Excellent benefits, lots of work
Cons
This job can be very hard and have negative effects on hire mental health. You have to learn how to leave everything that happens at work and not bring it home with you.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible hours
Position was enjoyable as colleagues were wonderful to collaborate with and family population very satisfying to work with. Disappointing that they were removing permanent part-time positions as many of the nurses are mothers and trying to raise healthy children and support families. Seemed a little hypocritical at time.
Pros
day time hours
Cons
services were being altered and it seems less support given to healthy transitioning families
Unfortunate that we are not paid what were were before the Government clawed back our wages 15%, that was over 10 years ago. As a single person, the wage is barely livable.
Pros
cohesive group overall
Cons
not paid appropriately
Not very good pay for hard and stressful work. No advancement opportunities. The bottom feeders of health care. Workplace culture is stressful, busy, underappreciated by management, abused by clients.
For the seven years that I have worked for Vancouver Island Health Authority, I have felt very blessed. I've loved my job and the people I worked with, but it is time for a change.
My administrative position was in a fast-paced environment, where I have been met with many challenges, but being a resourceful and positive person, I was able to meet them head-on.

If you are looking for an administrative/clerical position, applying externally for casual positions is the way to go. I started in May 2010 as a casual an always had work. Be willing to train as an admin in several different areas so that you can build your seniority hour and are able to put your foot in the door for a chance at a regular position.
You will then gain employer paid health and dental benefits, paid sick leave, paid vacation time and have access to employer associated counseling programs, etc...
It's been great, but I am definitely ready for a change of environment.

Good luck!!
You can move around to different departments depending on experience. Gain so much knowledge about healthcare. Work with great people. Internally apply to other jobs you are interested in. Great benefits.
Pros
career environment, continuous learning
Cons
Not enough pay!