Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Management reviews

It takes connections in IH to get a job there or to move up. Their interview check list is demeaning and usually irrelevant . I have seen so many incredible practitioners not get jobs because they didn’t use the right language (literally the right word) during an interview. Management positions are often held by professionals from other disciplines that have no relevance to the team they are leading my first week there I was put in my most challenging ethical dilemmas of my career only to find out that the staff, team lead and managers were aware and were covering it up
Pros
Flexible, decent pay, lots of work, promote education/training
Cons
Lateral violence, unqualified management, disorganized
VIHA management is consistently staffed by people without any kind of suitable education, experience or basic grasp of ethical conduct. 4 managers watched the local medical director attack me personally on numerous occasions and did nothing. Apparently, you can get by in management if you keep your mouth shut and act thankful that the scapegoat is a staff person and not them.30 years in 4 different health authorities and VIHA is, without question, the lowest functioning, most corrupt organization I have ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
destrutive, punitive management attacks on the experienced health professionals who do the actual work
I enjoyed working with patients and some staff but the management in many dept, don't care. They are employees that have been promoted because the employer couldn't get rid of them. They don't care about the patients or staff. There have been many consultants that have been brought in to find out about the toxic workplace. They give their suggestions but the employer doesn't follow through or care
Cons
Very toxic workplace in all areas
Zero interest in providing education, best practice and or creating a positive work environment. The worst experience I’ve had working for a health region. Management heavy, litigation focused. Absolutely depressing work environment. Affordable housing was not worth leaving VCH.
Pros
Can’t identify any
Cons
Too many to name
I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrsThe second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me. As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.Basically they deserve each other.. could be an amazing place if some management changes made. When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers. I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.
Pros
Liked the type of work, learned a lot
Cons
workplace culture
Comment – 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.
Great pay and benefits Change happens slowly and there isn't always a lot of autonomy. The workload can be heavy Some programs are more client-centered than others
Management is very poor, bullying of staff, discrimination highly prevalent. Will not hire experienced RN'S, ONLY wants new graduates so they can mold them into submission, without having a mind of there own. THE STAFF is all new graduates with little experience They manage by a disability management background, harnessing there staff, which is actually a human rights violation
Very poorly run place with management that does not have experience or education to justify their positions. Lots of bullying with the ones that bully being protected and the victims silenced or fired. Overworked and understaffed is the general theme all over.
I worked for VIHA for 19 years at many sites and many units. It was the worse job I ever had. The managers are very critical and micro-manage you down to the second. The work is heavy and gross, dealing with feces and urine all day while working short staffed on a regular basis. The staff are mainly miserable and very difficult to get along with. The whole environment is toxic and unhealthy.
I was injured. I was not compensated accordingly and it took years for this to pan out. I was a care aid and then a clerk. Management was difficult
Training was terrible and some staff were impossible to work with and learn from. Not a good experience! Mgmt was not accessible when needed. The work itself would be ok.
The behavior, attitude and ego of leadership is very unprofessional. There is favoritism with certain staff over others and it is obvious. People are hired not necessary for talent, skills or experience but who they know. Although there are pockets of positive culture some of the senior leaders in the organization do not value or show respect to their employees. Spreading rumors seems to be a common daily practice. There is little positive reinforcement, appreciation or acknowledgement of good work but quick to blame and share what the employee could have done better.
love the clients hate the politics/unions unhappy with the paid awful communication terrible duplicate employee jobs untrained work situations unsafe work issues
Treat staff not good, constant bullying from older staff...management is not good, take away job titles for no reason and put others at risk by doing so.
Cons
Depends on what area you work in, sometimes the team work is exceptional, and sometimes you are left to do most of the heavy work. Management is mostly pro-nurse, and can sometimes leave the care aides with little to no backup when it comes to dispute. The best part of the job is working with the patients!
Terrible union, not much support or benefits for the amount of yearly deductions Toxic environment, toxic people seem to congregate. Managers are hand picked from former managers friends , usually not based on skill No advancement Changes in upper management turnaround as high as low skilled workers
Pros
Health and dental
Cons
Everything else
The team was amazing, decent pre-go-live orientation. a lot to learn. they management was great. regular check up on how everyone is copying with long hours
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
poor career advancement
There are no professional development opportunities but a Professional Development Plan is part of the loosely executed annual reviews. Some directors need to be held accountable for their moral and ethics short comings
If you're looking for a fun, enjoyable place to work, look elsewhere. But if you like being treated disrespectfully, bullied, yelled at, blamed then this is the hellhole for you! The most unenjoyable place I've ever worked! Read the report on just how toxic this place is before you venture into it.
Pros
The patients
Cons
Everything else
Provides benefits for your family. The organization is poorly organized. To many different departments responsible for parts of processes. Making lots of room for errors. ex: payroll and booking vacation time. Policys developed by CEOs and not followed up by management, causing the employee to defend them self to other mangers.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance
When I was first hired and never had used the Viha Computer system I found that it would’ve been most helpful if you could have taken courses on their system so you understand fully how that system works. Coming from Fraser health they have computer courses to support your learning ability of their system. Being admin support staff the wages are worse than pathetic and we are so far behind. As for being a casual on call, the new:call out system for staffing is very broken. Sad to think of all the money they spent implementing that and they still haven’t got it working the way it should. Working at Oceanside Health Centre has become an absolute joke there as they call it “ The Oceanside shuffle “ That’s because staffing could not get the calls out in a timely manner and management has to shuffle staff around to make the day work. Doesn’t make for a great working environment. There is no comradory among staff and the morale is extremely low. As the saying goes, there is now “I” in teamwork.
Pros
nice new facility
Cons
Extremely Low wage, low morale