Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

I do not wish to review this health authority on this platform. My opinion of this employer are personal & therefore I am not completing a review at this time
VIHA management is consistently staffed by people without any kind of suitable education, experience or basic grasp of ethical conduct. 4 managers watched the local medical director attack me personally on numerous occasions and did nothing. Apparently, you can get by in management if you keep your mouth shut and act thankful that the scapegoat is a staff person and not them.30 years in 4 different health authorities and VIHA is, without question, the lowest functioning, most corrupt organization I have ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
destrutive, punitive management attacks on the experienced health professionals who do the actual work
Zero interest in providing education, best practice and or creating a positive work environment. The worst experience I’ve had working for a health region. Management heavy, litigation focused. Absolutely depressing work environment. Affordable housing was not worth leaving VCH.
Pros
Can’t identify any
Cons
Too many to name
Management is very poor, bullying of staff, discrimination highly prevalent. Will not hire experienced RN'S, ONLY wants new graduates so they can mold them into submission, without having a mind of there own. THE STAFF is all new graduates with little experience They manage by a disability management background, harnessing there staff, which is actually a human rights violation
Senioriry is not based on hire date. Shifts are not divided to casuals, as the person with most hours has the ability to take every shift available. Hard to live waiting by the phone for last minute 12hr shifts to become available short call. As a nurse it is challenging. Poor pay. Do not invest in new employe education in soecialty areas-you must have before even having an interview.
Pros
Intraweb
Cons
Poor pay, hard to be casual
I preferred the 12 hour shifts and learnt something new everyday. Management varied on a person's personality and past experience. The culture varied on whom were working .The hardest part of the job was those who did not respect others and act professionally. The most enjoyable part of the job were the connections I had with patients, families and laughing with the staff.
Numerous community programs beneficial to clients not requiring hospitalization. Effective team members in supporting clients in their homes. Management respectful and supportive of staff.
I've been away from working with this company for a little while. The company is undergoing many changes.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Shift work can be exhausting!