Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

Worklife balance is important to the Island Health. It is not universal. The culture at work differs between programs and also between union vs non-union worlds.
If you're looking for a fun, enjoyable place to work, look elsewhere. But if you like being treated disrespectfully, bullied, yelled at, blamed then this is the hellhole for you! The most unenjoyable place I've ever worked! Read the report on just how toxic this place is before you venture into it.
Pros
The patients
Cons
Everything else
When I was first hired and never had used the Viha Computer system I found that it would’ve been most helpful if you could have taken courses on their system so you understand fully how that system works. Coming from Fraser health they have computer courses to support your learning ability of their system. Being admin support staff the wages are worse than pathetic and we are so far behind. As for being a casual on call, the new:call out system for staffing is very broken. Sad to think of all the money they spent implementing that and they still haven’t got it working the way it should. Working at Oceanside Health Centre has become an absolute joke there as they call it “ The Oceanside shuffle “ That’s because staffing could not get the calls out in a timely manner and management has to shuffle staff around to make the day work. Doesn’t make for a great working environment. There is no comradory among staff and the morale is extremely low. As the saying goes, there is now “I” in teamwork.
Pros
nice new facility
Cons
Extremely Low wage, low morale
For the seven years that I have worked for Vancouver Island Health Authority, I have felt very blessed. I've loved my job and the people I worked with, but it is time for a change. My administrative position was in a fast-paced environment, where I have been met with many challenges, but being a resourceful and positive person, I was able to meet them head-on. If you are looking for an administrative/clerical position, applying externally for casual positions is the way to go. I started in May 2010 as a casual an always had work. Be willing to train as an admin in several different areas so that you can build your seniority hour and are able to put your foot in the door for a chance at a regular position. You will then gain employer paid health and dental benefits, paid sick leave, paid vacation time and have access to employer associated counseling programs, etc... It's been great, but I am definitely ready for a change of environment. Good luck!!
I have been an Admin Assistant with VIHA for almost 10 years. I appreciate the security, good pay and benefits. I have enjoyed various opportunities to learn and create my own work, such as creating archiving systems and databases to support them. However I feel I have reached the peak of how far I can go within this organization and wish to seek other opportunities to fulfil my potential.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no future advancement opportunities
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Vancouver Island Health Authority?