Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews in Victoria, BC

Great place to work to create connections with patients and get involved in the medical field if you are a student wanting meaningful volunteer work!!
I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrsThe second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me. As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.Basically they deserve each other.. could be an amazing place if some management changes made. When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers. I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.
Pros
Liked the type of work, learned a lot
Cons
workplace culture
Comment – 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.
Worklife balance is important to the Island Health. It is not universal. The culture at work differs between programs and also between union vs non-union worlds.
You never know what your day will bring you can come in with a plan, but things come up and you must be flexible to adapt to the needs of the department
Pros
great benifts
Cons
more work than a person can do
It was a great place to grow, and learn. Having updated technology really does save a lot of time and hassle. After working in a much less funded facility, dang I appreciate the atrium more!
I have been really impressed by the flexibility that Island health has had in the face of COVID19. They have done a great job of prioritizing client care and making resources available for as many people as possible
Was an a volunteer and not an employee Volunteering experience was good and "I learned a lot The people involved were extremely helpful towards me and
Wonderful people and enjoyed working there immensely! Would recommend as an employer. Challenging and rewarding. Wouldn’t hesitate to return if lived in area.
Lots of casual work with daily calls and overtime. The employees are really nice to work with except on the ortho units the nurses are way too rigid and controlling. The pay for registered nurses is low starting at 28 dollars an hour making 50 to 60 K a year, whereas on the mainland nurses are paid 43 dollars starting. But the care units on the mainland don't have care aids for nursing support on the floors, 4 care aids on AM care and 2 to 4 care aids on HS care like they do with Island Health. The ER in Island Health has care aids to help support care, but the lower mainland the nurses don't have care aids to support care here on the mainland. The cardiac and renal unit with VIHA is amazing like the ER because the staff are great!
Great pay and benefits Change happens slowly and there isn't always a lot of autonomy. The workload can be heavy Some programs are more client-centered than others
Attention to detail is very important in this job. Environment is very friendly. Most difficult part is to remain focused to your two screens for long hours, as there is few need to interact with other people.
I worked for VIHA for 19 years at many sites and many units. It was the worse job I ever had. The managers are very critical and micro-manage you down to the second. The work is heavy and gross, dealing with feces and urine all day while working short staffed on a regular basis. The staff are mainly miserable and very difficult to get along with. The whole environment is toxic and unhealthy.
The job is high paced and usually under staffed. Other staff members are friendly for the most part. But can be stressed due to under staffing. I enjoy the clients mostly..
No complaints, managers always have been supportive to their staff and concerned about their health and wellness. Health authority working to progress and improve the health of their patients.
Vancouver Island Health Authority consists of many patient focused teams delivering exemplary healthcare to the best of their abilities. Very much enjoyed working with the VIHA or IH teams on the North Island Hospitals Project.
I was injured. I was not compensated accordingly and it took years for this to pan out. I was a care aid and then a clerk. Management was difficult
Training was terrible and some staff were impossible to work with and learn from. Not a good experience! Mgmt was not accessible when needed. The work itself would be ok.
Treat staff not good, constant bullying from older staff...management is not good, take away job titles for no reason and put others at risk by doing so.
Cons
Obvious salary limitations working for a hospital but great guys to work with for a union environment. Progression is available if you are self motivated and display competence.
I had 8 hours Float RN shifts and was able to work at both Victoria General Hospital and at the Downtown Royal Jubilee Hospitals. Overall, my clinical experiences and the supportive mentorship from senior nurse colleagues and the ONA Stewards was absolutely exceptional!! I miss working for VIHA, for sure.
Pros
8 hours shifts and clinical exposure to various fields of practice
Cons
Non-Nursing managers who did not understand Nursing culture and needs of nurses new graduates
They provide decent benefits. Wages are only so so for the work you do. Employees are very dispensable. You do get to meet great people. Once in , you can apply internally, for diff jobs within VIHA.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Minimal appreciation