Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews

It takes connections in IH to get a job there or to move up. Their interview check list is demeaning and usually irrelevant . I have seen so many incredible practitioners not get jobs because they didn’t use the right language (literally the right word) during an interview. Management positions are often held by professionals from other disciplines that have no relevance to the team they are leading my first week there I was put in my most challenging ethical dilemmas of my career only to find out that the staff, team lead and managers were aware and were covering it up
Pros
Flexible, decent pay, lots of work, promote education/training
Cons
Lateral violence, unqualified management, disorganized
Sure there's job security once you have a position at VIHA but unless you are management hiding in an office, you will be stretched thin to the point of exhaustion, either ending up on disability, stress leave, or otherwise just crying on your way home from work. They always put load on staff just beyond what they can handle safely in best case scenarios and it's downright dangerous with how much you have to do while short staffed which is most of the time. Be prepared to work for every cent you earn. Workplace culture varies by department, I wouldn't call it a deterrent.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, Job security
Cons
Working short staffed all the time, pay doesn't reflect work and safety risks
I enjoyed working with patients and some staff but the management in many dept, don't care. They are employees that have been promoted because the employer couldn't get rid of them.
They don't care about the patients or staff. There have been many consultants that have been brought in to find out about the toxic workplace. They give their suggestions but the employer doesn't follow through or care
Cons
Very toxic workplace in all areas
Zero interest in providing education, best practice and or creating a positive work environment. The worst experience I’ve had working for a health region. Management heavy, litigation focused. Absolutely depressing work environment. Affordable housing was not worth leaving VCH.
Pros
Can’t identify any
Cons
Too many to name
pathetic place to work, quit after 30 years, onward and upward, what a waste of years. No wonder their short staffed. Look elsewhere if you want to keep your sanity.
Pros
Coworkers are great
Cons
Management disgraceful
I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.
I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrs

The second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me.

As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.

I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.

I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.

Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.

Basically they deserve each other..

could be an amazing place if some management changes made.

When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.

I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers.

I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.
Pros
Liked the type of work, learned a lot
Cons
workplace culture
Comment – 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.
Otherwise a good place to work. Good place for a career just don't get hurt and you will be fine. Co-workers are very supportive and helpful. Good team enviroment.
Bad experience all together. It’s an okay job for now. I got hurt on the job to the point I want able to use one side of my body. When I had to file a complaint, they try to push you back into work when you have reached a “plato” of your physio. Which means you’re not better nor are you as damaged yet you’re in a stage where your injury is at risk for further and more permanent damage. Which is exactly what happened in my case
Pros
You can do a course through the union or VIHA after you have worked over a certain amount of hours
Cons
They have the worst union ever
Worklife balance is important to the Island Health. It is not universal. The culture at work differs between programs and also between union vs non-union worlds.
You never know what your day will bring you can come in with a plan, but things come up and you must be flexible to adapt to the needs of the department
Pros
great benifts
Cons
more work than a person can do
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Vancouver Island Health Authority?
It was a great place to grow, and learn. Having updated technology really does save a lot of time and hassle. After working in a much less funded facility, dang I appreciate the atrium more!
I have been really impressed by the flexibility that Island health has had in the face of COVID19. They have done a great job of prioritizing client care and making resources available for as many people as possible
Was an a volunteer and not an employee
Volunteering experience was good and "I learned a lot

The people involved were extremely helpful towards me and
Wonderful people and enjoyed working there immensely!

Would recommend as an employer.

Challenging and rewarding. Wouldn’t hesitate to return if lived in area.
Viha is best place to work with. I had little bit hard time to work in the community because of meds administering and travelling in snow too, but I still worked with viha for one full year. I am good to work in the facilty more than community.
Great place to work! I have worked in many different areas within the hospitals and all are great and give lots of different dynamics. I would recommend this job to anyone.
a typical day of work includes calling patients and booking their procedures and then entering their information into the computer and creating a slate for the operating room.

pro's- people are happy to get their operations booked and underway especially if they have been waiting for a long time.

con's- Sometimes you get inundated with urgent procedures and so you have to call people that were previously booked and cancel them to accommodate the urgent procedures and so sometimes people get upset.
Pros
good extended healthcare benefits
Cons
lots of sitting and often stressed
Very friendly staff and co-workers. The community is very small and friendly as well. The hospital is attached to a long term care home which is serviced by the lab as well.
Lots of casual work with daily calls and overtime. The employees are really nice to work with except on the ortho units the nurses are way too rigid and controlling. The pay for registered nurses is low starting at 28 dollars an hour making 50 to 60 K a year, whereas on the mainland nurses are paid 43 dollars starting. But the care units on the mainland don't have care aids for nursing support on the floors, 4 care aids on AM care and 2 to 4 care aids on HS care like they do with Island Health. The ER in Island Health has care aids to help support care, but the lower mainland the nurses don't have care aids to support care here on the mainland. The cardiac and renal unit with VIHA is amazing like the ER because the staff are great!
Great pay and benefits
Change happens slowly and there isn't always a lot of autonomy.

The workload can be heavy

Some programs are more client-centered than others
Enjoyed my employment and how close the multidisciplinary team worked together. Hiring process is lengthy and patience is needed in waiting for the hiring process. Lots of hours available if your available to work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9