Vancouver Island Health Authority
Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Review

This aspect varies greatly depending where you work.

19 June 2020
Worklife balance is important to the Island Health. It is not universal. The culture at work differs between programs and also between union vs non-union worlds.
26 October 2018
Same role
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) - British Columbia
If you're looking for a fun, enjoyable place to work, look elsewhere. But if you like being treated disrespectfully, bullied, yelled at, blamed then this is the hellhole for you! The most unenjoyable place I've ever worked! Read the report on just how toxic this place is before you venture into it.
Pros
The patients
Cons
Everything else
17 October 2018
Same role
Administrative Support Clerk (Current Employee) - Parksville, BC
When I was first hired and never had used the Viha Computer system I found that it would’ve been most helpful if you could have taken courses on their system so you understand fully how that system works. Coming from Fraser health they have computer courses to support your learning ability of their system. Being admin support staff the wages are worse than pathetic and we are so far behind. As for being a casual on call, the new:call out system for staffing is very broken. Sad to think of all the money they spent implementing that and they still haven’t got it working the way it should. Working at Oceanside Health Centre has become an absolute joke there as they call it “ The Oceanside shuffle “ That’s because staffing could not get the calls out in a timely manner and management has to shuffle staff around to make the day work. Doesn’t make for a great working environment. There is no comradory among staff and the morale is extremely low. As the saying goes, there is now “I” in teamwork.
Pros
nice new facility
Cons
Extremely Low wage, low morale
24 July 2020
Same location
Youth Worker (Former Employee) - Victoria, BC
I loved working there at first. Lots of disfunction at first it seemed manageable.
I was asking about a raise as I wanted to know the hrs

The second in charge told me the manager was in process of finding how to fire me.

As actually they didn't follow the union rules regarding pay I would have been owed many hrs of over time as would others. They were worried I would realize and file a grievance.

I had an allegation and upon return to work I was told it was still being investigated and that viha thinks I did something.

I was utterly horrified however it was a lie.. I had a yr and half of this.

Then I'm told I need a meeting with my union rep. I had enough and my fiancé asked me to quit.

Basically they deserve each other..

could be an amazing place if some management changes made.

When I quit I got ei, the EI rep said to me I believe in karma in all my years of doing this it's wow.. she was told I was a good worker but got upset over what occurred I couldn't take it.or they would have offered me a different job. At the other house . meanwhile they had tried to reprimand me for abuse over something that didn't occur and I got ei .. It took me 6 months to recover from this experience.

I had job offers and interviews. But this company refuses to say much to potential employers.

I emailed the hr person who keeps responding here.. she ignored it.
Pros
Liked the type of work, learned a lot
Cons
workplace culture
Comment – 11 August 2020
This review is PENDING as it is for another employer - Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) as indicated in the review itself. WJS Canada is in no way associated with VIHA.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9