Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews

toxic environment lots of bullying
Administrator (Former Employee) –  nanaimo30 July 2018
Lots of bullying and harassment by empl to other employees. supervisors and staff do not follow dress code or refrain from wearing perfume. hard to find a good soul to be kind and be a real friend. people will not join together to stop bullying and rude unprofessional behaviour by others including management. too afraid to become a target. not a healthy place to work. there are some amazing people but not enough. the good ones are driven away by the toxic ones. lots of gossip like high school. no support to stop it even right to the top they do not help.
Pros
great hours for admin.
Cons
too many bullies no consequenses
Viha
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 July 2018
I joined VIHA post implementation of their new EMR system Cerner. This was a pivotal point for the organization (particularly PMO) as they were facing quite a bit of backlash from clinicians regarding the hurried implementation. I felt the team handled it well, particularly since I have been a part of other implementations with other organization since, I think they did an exceptional job considering the challenges they were facing.
Great Job, Average pay
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 July 2018
Love the job but the rate of pay needs to reflect the cost of living! Management is great wish there was more promotion from within. The hours are very reasonable!
There is a cultural problem
Full time HCA on the surgical unit (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo Reional General Hospital24 June 2018
I find that staff are not held accountable for their actions. To have a good work relationship, everyone needs to be a team player and be held accountable and we don't have that
Pros
Excellent benefits, lots of work
Cons
Horrible company that abused its employees
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 April 2018
I worked night shifts at VIHA, without proper training and was unable to take any breaks, or have anything at all to eat, which jeopardized my health and well-being on multiple occasions.
Also, tax forms were not mailed out, despite numerous calls and emails, leading to taxes not being submitted on time.
If someone called in sick, you may be forced to work a double, despite still not having a break.
Lower wages compared to elsewhere in Canada.
Worst place I have ever worked, and I would recommend that no one relocates to work with VIHA, as you will be surely disappointed despite the lovely scenery.
Pros
Scenery
Cons
No breaks, no tax forms sent, no training, policies that underestimated education, expensive living arrangements
Great Company, Not enough hours
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC18 April 2018
I loved working for VIHA but was a casual employee and could not maintain life without full time employment. I am a single mother of three and could not be available for the hours they required.
High Pressure position
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 April 2018
Work is demanding with little direction from management as to the organization's goals and approaches to these goals. Management is appearing to listen to input from their employees at all levels now.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
insane workloads
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 March 2018
In all my time at Island Health, I have had amazing people to work with and have been able to grow my skills each year. I have no complaints about this company
Viha
Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC7 March 2018
I enjoy working for VIHA. That is the main reason I am still here. But need a change. The staff and managers are wonderful. Monday to Friday, hours are excellent.
Great group of people
Transcriptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC24 January 2018
I enjoyed working with my team in NRGH as we worked as a "team". Unfortunately, with the budget restraints and restructuring of the hospital system, job security was not feasible. The higher-ups managers were very transient.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
No permanent positions
Overall
Medical Health Office - Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo22 January 2018
Overall it is a great place to work. They are very willing to work with your life/home balance. There are fair sick days, vacation days, etc. to manage your day to day life.
Heavy mental work load
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC2 January 2018
This job can be very hard and have negative effects on hire mental health. You have to learn how to leave everything that happens at work and not bring it home with you.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible hours
Great but not a whole bunch of opportunity
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC19 December 2017
Had many casual positions available but not many permanent. Great people to work with though, friendly and helpful.
I have enjoyed the experience I gained from working here.
Impossible to gain seniority as a casual.
Registered Nurse, BScN (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2017
Senioriry is not based on hire date. Shifts are not divided to casuals, as the person with most hours has the ability to take every shift available. Hard to live waiting by the phone for last minute 12hr shifts to become available short call. As a nurse it is challenging. Poor pay. Do not invest in new employe education in soecialty areas-you must have before even having an interview.
Pros
Intraweb
Cons
Poor pay, hard to be casual
Public Health Nurse
Full-time Public Health nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 November 2017
Position was enjoyable as colleagues were wonderful to collaborate with and family population very satisfying to work with. Disappointing that they were removing permanent part-time positions as many of the nurses are mothers and trying to raise healthy children and support families. Seemed a little hypocritical at time.
Pros
day time hours
Cons
services were being altered and it seems less support given to healthy transitioning families
Currently experiencing management issues
Biomedical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC29 November 2017
Work is demanding with little direction from management as to the organization's goals and approaches to these goals. Current practice of partnership programs is proving to be problematic. Management is unwilling to listen to input from their employees at any level. Their have been noted instances of management bully the employees into performing duties they are not comfortable with or not properly trained for. Some Unions appear to be supportive of the member, while others do not seem to assist the member. This is not the same as when I joined the employer years ago.
Pros
location has best views and climate in Canada
Cons
some areas have a high cost of living
Specific Department is great to work in
Medical Imaging Booking Clerk (MRI, FL, IR) (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC26 October 2017
Unfortunate that we are not paid what were were before the Government clawed back our wages 15%, that was over 10 years ago. As a single person, the wage is barely livable.
Pros
cohesive group overall
Cons
not paid appropriately
A hospital environment
British Columbia (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 October 2017
Working in hospital gave me alot of wonderful skills and knowledge. There is always room to emrpove and advance in knowlegde. Especially as I was a casual worker, fortunately I was able to work on alot of medical and surgical floors. I came out with amazing skills and knowlegde.
Great experience
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 September 2017
Great experience, very knowledgeable staff & good team spirit.
Lots to learn and rotate through different areas of pharmacy. A lot ot offer many different people.
Addiction Worker
Mental Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 August 2017
Not very good pay for hard and stressful work. No advancement opportunities. The bottom feeders of health care. Workplace culture is stressful, busy, underappreciated by management, abused by clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Vancouver Island Health Authority Reviews by Location