Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews

Toxic, unfriendly, miserable work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  British Columbia26 October 2018
If you're looking for a fun, enjoyable place to work, look elsewhere. But if you like being treated disrespectfully, bullied, yelled at, blamed then this is the hellhole for you! The most unenjoyable place I've ever worked! Read the report on just how toxic this place is before you venture into it.
Pros
The patients
Cons
Everything else
good and bad
Rehabilitation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 October 2018
Provides benefits for your family. The organization is poorly organized. To many different departments responsible for parts of processes. Making lots of room for errors. ex: payroll and booking vacation time. Policys developed by CEOs and not followed up by management, causing the employee to defend them self to other mangers.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance
15 years of working with Island Health
Nurses Aid and Ambulance escort (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC10 October 2018
The care provided by the majority of the workers is excellent. Many happy memories with the most sensitive time in a person's life. I have learned from people what is important to them. The staff is stretched to the limit. We are rushed with care. The baths are once a week .. bed bath daily with a quick swish. The politics times difficult to deal with. Gentle care policy is now in place so patients are handled with more care and less Arm & Arm approach.. The ceiling lifts are great.. patients enjoy the lift from bed to chair ect.. Activity programs are entertaining and caring and include family involvement. It is the most rewarding career I have ever had.
Pros
Patient Care is team based.
Cons
The salary has barely changed in the past 10 years.
Staffing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 October 2018
If you like shift work, this is the place for you! Supportive environment and good skill building opportunities. Hard on the family though as shift work can be.
Typical day at work
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 October 2018
My Previous viha work place. Typical day at work, usually short one of the only 2 RN's. Usually short at least 1 HCA. Then the robbing peter to pay paul starts. A few floors have a 30+ residents to one Lpn ratio. With 1 RN that can get hectic. Management fails miserably in attempts to have facility fully staffed. Viha staffing obviously has another agenda, other than filling the sick calls that come in many hours before the texts are sent out to casuals or other staff to fill the void. Oh and the best part is now that Viha has came on board there are an abundance of management that work Monday to Friday.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Work short most days. Some 6 day rotations. Very few weekends off.
toxic environment lots of bullying
Administrator (Former Employee) –  nanaimo30 July 2018
Lots of bullying and harassment by empl to other employees. supervisors and staff do not follow dress code or refrain from wearing perfume. hard to find a good soul to be kind and be a real friend. people will not join together to stop bullying and rude unprofessional behaviour by others including management. too afraid to become a target. not a healthy place to work. there are some amazing people but not enough. the good ones are driven away by the toxic ones. lots of gossip like high school. no support to stop it even right to the top they do not help.
Pros
great hours for admin.
Cons
too many bullies no consequenses
Great working relationships. Beautiful location!
4th Class Shift Engineer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 July 2018
Really enjoyed working for VIHA. Only moved on to support family else where. Was helped a lot by co-workers in getting my 4th class ticket. Vey good benefits.
Pros
Beautiful Location & culture
Cons
Wages a bit lower than Alberta
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 July 2018
I joined VIHA post implementation of their new EMR system Cerner. This was a pivotal point for the organization (particularly PMO) as they were facing quite a bit of backlash from clinicians regarding the hurried implementation. I felt the team handled it well, particularly since I have been a part of other implementations with other organization since, I think they did an exceptional job considering the challenges they were facing.
Great Job, Average pay
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 July 2018
Love the job but the rate of pay needs to reflect the cost of living! Management is great wish there was more promotion from within. The hours are very reasonable!
There is a cultural problem
Full time HCA on the surgical unit (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo Reional General Hospital24 June 2018
I find that staff are not held accountable for their actions. To have a good work relationship, everyone needs to be a team player and be held accountable and we don't have that
Pros
Excellent benefits, lots of work
Cons
Horrible company that abused its employees
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 April 2018
I worked night shifts at VIHA, without proper training and was unable to take any breaks, or have anything at all to eat, which jeopardized my health and well-being on multiple occasions.
Also, tax forms were not mailed out, despite numerous calls and emails, leading to taxes not being submitted on time.
If someone called in sick, you may be forced to work a double, despite still not having a break.
Lower wages compared to elsewhere in Canada.
Worst place I have ever worked, and I would recommend that no one relocates to work with VIHA, as you will be surely disappointed despite the lovely scenery.
Pros
Scenery
Cons
No breaks, no tax forms sent, no training, policies that underestimated education, expensive living arrangements
Great Company, Not enough hours
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC18 April 2018
I loved working for VIHA but was a casual employee and could not maintain life without full time employment. I am a single mother of three and could not be available for the hours they required.
High Pressure position
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 April 2018
Work is demanding with little direction from management as to the organization's goals and approaches to these goals. Management is appearing to listen to input from their employees at all levels now.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
insane workloads
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 March 2018
In all my time at Island Health, I have had amazing people to work with and have been able to grow my skills each year. I have no complaints about this company
Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC7 March 2018
I enjoy working for VIHA. That is the main reason I am still here. But need a change. The staff and managers are wonderful. Monday to Friday, hours are excellent.
Great group of people
Transcriptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC24 January 2018
I enjoyed working with my team in NRGH as we worked as a "team". Unfortunately, with the budget restraints and restructuring of the hospital system, job security was not feasible. The higher-ups managers were very transient.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
No permanent positions
Overall
Medical Health Office - Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo22 January 2018
Overall it is a great place to work. They are very willing to work with your life/home balance. There are fair sick days, vacation days, etc. to manage your day to day life.
Heavy mental work load
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC2 January 2018
This job can be very hard and have negative effects on hire mental health. You have to learn how to leave everything that happens at work and not bring it home with you.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible hours
Great but not a whole bunch of opportunity
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC19 December 2017
Had many casual positions available but not many permanent. Great people to work with though, friendly and helpful.
I have enjoyed the experience I gained from working here.
Impossible to gain seniority as a casual.
Registered Nurse, BScN (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2017
Senioriry is not based on hire date. Shifts are not divided to casuals, as the person with most hours has the ability to take every shift available. Hard to live waiting by the phone for last minute 12hr shifts to become available short call. As a nurse it is challenging. Poor pay. Do not invest in new employe education in soecialty areas-you must have before even having an interview.
Pros
Intraweb
Cons
Poor pay, hard to be casual

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.