Vancouver Island Health Authority

Vancouver Island Health Authority Employee Reviews

Canada119 reviews
I miss working with viha
Viha is best place to work with. I had little bit hard time to work in the community because of meds administering and travelling in snow too, but I still worked with viha for one full year. I am good to work in the facilty more than community.
Great Organization
I have been really impressed by the flexibility that Island health has had in the face of COVID19. They have done a great job of prioritizing client care and making resources available for as many people as possible
Volunteer
Was an a volunteer and not an employee
Volunteering experience was good and "I learned a lot

The people involved were extremely helpful towards me and
Excellent experience
Wonderful people and enjoyed working there immensely!

Would recommend as an employer.

Challenging and rewarding. Wouldn’t hesitate to return if lived in area.
Fast-Paced
Great place to work! I have worked in many different areas within the hospitals and all are great and give lots of different dynamics. I would recommend this job to anyone.
decent department to work for
a typical day of work includes calling patients and booking their procedures and then entering their information into the computer and creating a slate for the operating room.

pro's- people are happy to get their operations booked and underway especially if they have been waiting for a long time.

con's- Sometimes you get inundated with urgent procedures and so you have to call people that were previously booked and cancel them to accommodate the urgent procedures and so sometimes people get upset.
Pros
good extended healthcare benefits
Cons
lots of sitting and often stressed
Good place to work at
Very friendly staff and co-workers. The community is very small and friendly as well. The hospital is attached to a long term care home which is serviced by the lab as well.
Fast paced, competitive, but lots of casual work
Lots of casual work with daily calls and overtime. The employees are really nice to work with except on the ortho units the nurses are way too rigid and controlling. The pay for registered nurses is low starting at 28 dollars an hour making 50 to 60 K a year, whereas on the mainland nurses are paid 43 dollars starting. But the care units on the mainland don't have care aids for nursing support on the floors, 4 care aids on AM care and 2 to 4 care aids on HS care like they do with Island Health. The ER in Island Health has care aids to help support care, but the lower mainland the nurses don't have care aids to support care here on the mainland. The cardiac and renal unit with VIHA is amazing like the ER because the staff are great!
Safe
Great pay and benefits
Change happens slowly and there isn't always a lot of autonomy.

The workload can be heavy

Some programs are more client-centered than others
Flexible employer
Enjoyed my employment and how close the multidisciplinary team worked together. Hiring process is lengthy and patience is needed in waiting for the hiring process. Lots of hours available if your available to work.
Management is very poor, bullying of staff, discrimination highly prevalent. Will not hire experienced RN'S, ONLY wants new graduates so they can mold them into submission, without having a mind of there own. THE STAFF is all new graduates with little experience They manage by a disability management background, harnessing there staff, which is actually a human rights violation
Clean and safe.
Attention to detail is very important in this job. Environment is very friendly. Most difficult part is to remain focused to your two screens for long hours, as there is few need to interact with other people.
Very poorly run place
Very poorly run place with management that does not have experience or education to justify their positions. Lots of bullying with the ones that bully being protected and the victims silenced or fired. Overworked and understaffed is the general theme all over.
I do not wish to review this health authority on this platform. My opinion of this employer are personal & therefore I am not completing a review at this time
If you are looking for a nervous breakdown...
I worked for VIHA for 19 years at many sites and many units. It was the worse job I ever had. The managers are very critical and micro-manage you down to the second. The work is heavy and gross, dealing with feces and urine all day while working short staffed on a regular basis. The staff are mainly miserable and very difficult to get along with. The whole environment is toxic and unhealthy.
Not Supported by Management or NL
To be honest it was such a terrible experience I rather not remember the last few years I was employed with Island Health. Knowing that my co-workers are still having the same challenges with the same senior staff. So sad.
Good company to work for.
The job is high paced and usually under staffed. Other staff members are friendly for the most part. But can be stressed due to under staffing. I enjoy the clients mostly..
Health Authority
No complaints, managers always have been supportive to their staff and concerned about their health and wellness. Health authority working to progress and improve the health of their patients.
Nice Place to Work
Vancouver Island Health Authority consists of many patient focused teams delivering exemplary healthcare to the best of their abilities.

Very much enjoyed working with the VIHA or IH teams on the North Island Hospitals Project.
It doesn't matter how long you work there.
I was injured. I was not compensated accordingly and it took years for this to pan out. I was a care aid and then a clerk. Management was difficult
Not enjoyable!
Training was terrible and some staff were impossible to work with and learn from. Not a good experience! Mgmt was not accessible when needed. The work itself would be ok.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Island Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.