Vancouver General Hospital Employee Reviews

Lack of support
Emergency Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2019
It is a place of acutely ill patients giving you the ability to learn and develop your skills. Staff give it their all! BUT...
VCH struggles with the demands on the healthcare system. Lots of layers of mgt but little staff on the floor giving care.
Staff are burnt out and getting sick or having injuries.
Mgt does not know how to problem solve with complex issues and often avoid them.
Bullying occurs and if you are unable to cope independently with it you will be defeated.
Pros
Great experience for learning
Cons
see comment
Innovative and productive workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 January 2019
A typical day at work consists of working with RNA and DNA samples as well as filing. I learned many skills that can be translated out of the workplace such as attention to detail as well as time management. The workplace culture was very efficient and productive as everyone there was driven in their respective areas. The hardest part of the job was mastering organization as a lot of the experiments required a fair amount of precision. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you were contributing to the well begin of others.
Decent place to work
Biomedical Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2018
Decent place to work, but awful management in biomed. Management like "yes" people, who are lazy and playing the system. Lots of bulling and favoritism.
Benefits
Cons
management
Would not recommend this employer
Ambulatory booking clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 July 2018
Typical day was booking appointments, registering patients, processing incoming faxes, filing, answering the phone.

Strict enforcement of dress code policy and WorkSafe policy on appropriate footwear. Definitely no open-toed shoes.

Office politics, respectful workplace policy needed to be enforced.

Break times were set by the manager, no leniency with start and end times.

Hardest part of the job was feeling oppressed by micro-management.

Most enjoyable part was getting to know my coworkers, and working in a team environment.
goo
Top Science Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Harbour, BC27 May 2018
It was a good experience but the staff members were a little harsh and can be more reasonable
overall great in culture and stress levels.
Everyday was not welcoming yet, it was awarding seeing the people get better and well, and it was cool using the tools in action not in a textbook
No fun
Supply Chain Technician, HSSBC (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 April 2018
Do not expect much expecially if you are part time. It might take you 50 years to become full time. The hours are crazy if you on call and with no benefits
Jan2018
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 January 2018
Assignment usually consists min 3-5 patients. Assist with pre-op and post op care. Assist and aid with nursing care plans and discharge planning. The patient population that are assigned to me are usually those who have history of cancer and required removal of ie. kidney, ovaries, prostate, etc. The hardest part of the job would be if there is lack of staffing on the unit. The most enjoyable part of my job and the new learning and opportunities to learn new things.
belle entreprise
Technicien biomédical (Former Employee) –  vancouver9 January 2018
une super équipe et une super écoute, des gens très professionnel
supportive learning environment
Colon Screening Program- Nursing Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 October 2017
Amazing environment, great co-workers and an exceptional place to learn. Being part of this team is a privilege and has helped me develop skills to peruse my dreams. Overall, Vancouver Coastal Health has helped me realise my aspirations and more importantly, has supported me in my endeavours to further my knowledge and goals.
Amazing work environment in Canada's second largest hospital
Assistant Director, Building Services (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2017
A dynamic work environment with over 1100 patient beds and 8000 employees. A great patient focused attention from the management team. A teaching hospital and BC's main trauma centre.
Vgh
Distribution Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 September 2017
There are plenty of great professionals working in many varying opportunities. If you apply yourself and seek out the opportunities the sky is the limit for you.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Lack of parking
Good work environment. Safe and clean.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 July 2017
Very team oriented and working with others is very inspiring. Learn a lot from your team members.

Loved to help patients and families as well as remaining professional.

you will keep busy at Vancouver Hospital but it's very rewarding.
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2017
its a nice place to volunteer at and you can meet nice people, its a safe environment and easy job tasks, you get to experience how working in a hospital feels like
Very interesting place to work
Perioperative Nurse (Operating Room) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 March 2017
Although I worked there for a short period I found this job to be very good experience. I left due to maternity leave.
Some of the nurses were very competitive and clicky, but that is to be expected. Management was very nice.
Pros
Lots of great surgeries and talent
Cons
No cons
Dynamic work setting
Nursing Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 March 2017
A typical day at work for me is usually fairly busy. I enjoy working with my co workers and the diversity of the job due to my status as a casual float. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is being able to see how the different units run and being apart of their team.
Pros
I get to make my own schedule, I pick up shifts on the units I prefer.
Average
Area Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 February 2017
Overall, Vgh is a great place to work at. Pay is also good. IF you are a casual be ready to expect a lot of work squeezed in together then a week or two of GOOD TIME OF REST"
very nice place
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 February 2017
very very fun place to work, meet a lot of nice people the doctors are nice and staff is nice parking is expensive. very busy place and has a wonder food court
Pros
nice food court
Cons
very busy no parking
Productive and good learning experience
Full-time Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 October 2016
I learned patience, discipline, good time management skills and customer service. It was a busy work environment. Lots of things going on a the same time. It was lots of fun and a great learning experience. I really enjoyed working at the hospital.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No overtime
A Very Friendly Environment
Info Desk Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 September 2016
Absolutely love helping patients, families, staff and other people find hospital services and departments. The fast paced environment and the multitasking is one of the areas that is a wonderful attribute. People are very friendly, and the hospital environment is somewhere where I have always wanted to be.

If you're wanting to get some skills, and you're wanting to work with a wonderful team of people, then this is an excellent opportunity. Just started in August, and it has been the best move that I have done! This is a wonderful volunteer opportunity!
Fun plave to work
Nursing Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 August 2016
Vgh is an amazing place to work!! The work-life balance is great. I truly recommend Vancouver general hospital!
The staff the patients, I can't say enough good things about it!