Vancouver Film School Employee Reviews

Not a living wage for Vancouver
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 April 2019
Notice VFF does not disclose the wages or the wage range even in their job postings. And no mention of benefits either. Well that's for a reason! Very unfortunate really.
Pros
Teaching staff & students
Cons
You're not 'earning a living' -greedy finance dept!
Students were great , instructors worked well together
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2019
Great place to work, could use more career development opportunities for the teaching staff. It was hard to make changes in curriculum. Otherwise fine experience all around.
Fun, but exploitive
Operations Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 December 2018
Vancouver Film School was both my favorite, and worst job in many ways. I love the culture of the school. Being both Alumni and Faculty I was able to experience the school from both ends of the spectrum.

The issue is the school only does 3 month contracts on your employment (at least my position) and this is to ensure they don't have to pay benefits or pay severance or count you as a full time employee. After 13 months I refused the new contract offered as it shifted me to a position I didn't want nor apply for.

The teaching staff and faculty who run the curriculum and programs are awesome. The upper management and financial departments are callous, heartless people who care only for the bottom line and they don't care for their employees at all.
Pros
Great teachers and fun learning environment
Cons
Greedy and heartless financial/hr employees.
Welcoming and open to any that need help
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 October 2018
Being surrounded by students, and those who have been in the industry, the learning never stops. From helping others, to have others help you, you're able to keep pursuing your career in the industry with gusto by having strong connections an arms length away.

The team here is strong and communicative. If something needs to be done, at least 4 members will respond to help with the task. Though the pay may be a bit low for this position, they make up for it by being able to sit in on the classes and being able to retain information and knowledge all over again. As well, being able to create a strong networking foundation, where the industry comes to you.

Every day is a different experience, and I look forward to each day.
Pros
Strong industry networking, flexible hours, kind staff.
Cons
Low pay
disorganized mess
Manager of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 July 2018
Such amazing potential as an employer wasted on non receptive leadership. Amazing product, and the facilities were endless resources for the students to flourish.
Vancouver Film School
Night Terrors - 2D/3D Artist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 April 2018
Vancouver Film School is great private institute that prouds itself in giving one of the best education to the students who want to get into the entertainment industry. On my time there as a student I had a chance to hone my skills and work with a lot of talented people.
Creative and Fun Place to Work
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 March 2018
Admissions recruitment positions are expected to meet some fairly hefty goals in terms of monthly enrollments. Creative, but competitive culture. Programs are interesting, thus I enjoyed learning about them.
Pros
good benefits, creative environment
Cons
excess pressure to meet goals
Editor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 February 2018
Not easy to remember every step in processes. Unfamiliar tools. Don't know how to create an effect in Avid Media Composer compared to Adobe Premiere Pro. Instructors are hardly around when I need them.

Going through the clips and putting the best ones in the sequence. Adjusting volume or colour. Nice to have an editing suite all to myself.
Always a different day on the job
ON CALL PRODUCTION SOUND CREW / TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  142 Water Sr Vancouver BC30 January 2018
Never a dull moment and very fulfilling working with students and experienced crew members.creative and fast paced environment that collaborates multiple disciplines.
Fun, functional, and collaborative work environment
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 January 2018
VFS expects its knowledgeable faculty to progress with the industry at large, and to stay informed. Our department is structured to accommodate this, working around our independent projects via long-term part-time positions with flexible hours. The faculty and staff are knowledgeable, friendly and supportive, and the students - representing regions around the world - are amazing to work with. Only critique: it would be nice for more seasoned instructors to have the option of teaching full-time in future, with benefits.
Pros
Friendly staff and faculty, amazing students from around the world, opportunities to continue working and progressing in field
Cons
Few full-time positions for faculty, so limited benefit packages
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2018
VFS is an amazing place to work, with employees from all over the world they are very organized and efficient.
Working with students from all over the world is a very rewarding experience too.
Vancouver Film School Game Design Campus
Artist & Co-Programmer of Best Final Project (Former Employee) –  British Columbia15 December 2017
En el campus de Game Design se tienen equipos de computo con equipos altamente avanzados para agilizar el desarrollo de software, las instalaciones son pequeñas pero suficientes, con cuarto de grabacion, conferencias, video, recreacion y videojuegos.

La gente que trabaja en la Vancounver Film School es amable y te reta a trabajar y sigo hablando con algunos aun despues de acabar mis estudios.
Pros
Buenas instalaciones, Buenos equipos, Personal amigable
Cons
Calle externa al campus es sucia comparado al resto de la ciudad
Decent finishing school
Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2017
A good over-all education in the fundamentals of design, and some industry preparation. Expect to get out of the program what you put in to it. Your chosen attitude and tenacity are everything.
This was my Final Project at Vancouver Film School
Level Designer, Programmer, and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 April 2017
Final Project for my time at Vancouver Film School at the Game Design Program. I was the Project Manager, Level Designer, and assisted with the Programming on the Game.
I could be more confidence when I am performing in the future.
Performer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 February 2016
I could have had more acting experience, and accumulated after a certain degree until I can perfect their own show in front of everybody, I could bring everyone my joy and relaxation.
Pros
Performance experience
Cons
long hours to train
Excellent Faculty
Vocal Teacher/ Accompanist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 October 2015
My years at VFS were life-changing, and provided me with the opportunity to impart my passion of music, to many students.
I was allowed the gift of personal growth, and guidance to re-shape my teaching style, and create with so many talented professionals.
I had the very best co-workers, all of whom remain friends, and would return in a heartbeat.
Pros
Excellent
Cons
a lower staff morale due to some curriculum changes.
Extremely fun place to work
International Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver17 March 2015
Being a sales representative on a salary, we were often asked to put in 100+ hour work weeks, work from home etc. It made providing a balanced life for my family quite difficult. The job itself was very fun, the atmosphere was great.
Pros
bonus plans, incentive structures
Cons
Incredibly long hours
An Exciting, New Challenge Every Day
Administrative Assistant - Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 October 2014
There is no 'typical' day at VFS. Every day provided new challenges in how to improve the student experience. Every staff contribution helps to keep VFS the "premier post-secondary entertainment arts institution and one of the most distinguished in the world."
Suckage
Operations (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2014
Management has no clue. No communication. No job security. Courses are overpriced. Instructors are good.
Not much camaraderie, a lot of talk with no follow through. They hire and fire based on personality as apposed to professionalism and work ethics.
Operations (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 July 2013
No support from colleagues. You are expected to learn new things on your own.
Upper management are elitist.
If you don't have the same social standing (or, in this case an alternative life style) as the rest of the staff you will be looked down on and ostracized.
Pros
If you fit the social criteria, it can be fun.
Cons
Bad training. Untrustworthy management.