Vancouver Convention Centre Employee Reviews

fun day at work
Work as a supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 May 2019
start with meeting the building manger for the day and get a briefing regarding anything that is going on the the new briefing that the client give overnight. Brief the guards and deploy them and check up on them.
Pros
free lunch and fun place to work
Cons
different hours to work
Dynamic work space great for project mangement
CREW LEADER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 January 2019
A typical work day includes following a list of objectives that must be completed. This can include dividing the team into multiple groups and setting up multiple conference rooms or focusing all manpower to reset a large ballroom. Delegation, intercommunication and project management skills are key attributes to succeed. At any point in setting up a room many tasks are being executed simultaneously; linen collection for tabletops and stages, equipment collection ie chairs, tables stages, and equipment removal.
This is a great venue for developing management skills.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Little help by management
Sounds good in reality not really
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Server19 October 2018
It is advertised that there is 3-meal-course. That's correct if only you work in the am shift and able to get a lunch break. The food served for staff is leftover food from functions. May be 3-5 day old or 1 day. If you work in pm shift then you may end up with cold sandwich or nothing. Sometimes there is no break at all.
Managment is always a taker..asks for more availability in return we get unfair hourly rate.

New hires make as much as senior staff. If you bring this unfairness to managements attention then they blame you to discuss your wage with others. I have been working at that place for 4 years and my rate is as same as a new hire. Hiw fair that is. ??!! Since it is not unionize it is very easy to get fired. One of us got fired because he took 2 muffins instead of 1 in her lunch break. I am not saying what she did was ok but it shouldn't be that easy to give up on your employees. Vcc doesn't really give any value to its employees;everyone is replaceable for it. Not only servers even captains; I have seen a lot.

We tried to bring union to vcc but management played an ugly game on
Us becouse management doesn't want to give up on 18%service charge that goes in every single management pocket.( There is no gratuities for servers, stewards nor housman.) Vcc brought people against union had them sign against union. As a result even though vcc staff wanted to be unionized ppl from outside who dont work for vcc voted against union. How low is that ???!!!

Vcc is so mean that there is no employee of the month it is only every 6 months. Because vcc disnt want to
  more... give 40$ to the employee of the month every month instead it is only twice or once a year. Tight budget eh?

If vcc knows it is your only job then you are screwed. They won't care about you at all becouse you cannot quit nor ask for raise or fair treatment. If you ask they will say you know where the door is.

Oh bartenders dont get tip. No tip jar is not allowed so vcc is having hard time to find bartenders. If you noticed bartenders are old people who dont mind working short shifts without tip. Because they cannot find any bartender job anywhere due to age. So they are ok with short shifts (4-5 hours) and late nights.

Very sad. Such a pretty place to work such a big name but the management undervalues its employees , uses them and let them go when there is an excuse to do so.
These are my experience maybe vcc has changed. But I dont think so!!
Pros
Flexible shifts, location, career starter
Cons
No grats, no recognition, no raise
Fun work environment with free three course meal Everyday
Steward & Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 August 2018
working in the kitchen with diverse people is one of the best experience I have ever had. The managers and supervisors are very generous to their employee
Pros
Free food
Cons
scheduling
Une experience super
Banquet Server-Bartender (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 August 2018
Cet endroit m'a donné l'occasion de rencontrer beaucoup de gens et d'apprendre d'eux. C'était très occupé, très dynamique
Productive Work Place
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 February 2018
Working at the Convention Centre was a learning experience and a stepping stone to the hard work I would have to put in if I wanted to start an apprenticeship. They taught us how to be quick, detailed and most importantly precise. It was a good environment to work in.
Pros
great location
great people
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2017
all colleagues are amazing to work with, the very best in the business, Everyone of the staff is very professional and willing to do whatever it takes to make for an extremely successful event.
Pros
good location
Cons
shift work, event based
A lot of teamwork involved
Steward (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 September 2017
work with others to get things done in a fast pace environment. this place is good for people to gain organizational skills and management as well as the ability to interact with others
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough hours in a week
Enjoyed the workers
Uniform Distrbutioner (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2017
There would be times when it would be busy for a short time but other than that it can be boring with nothing to do but make up things or redo things to keep busy.

It's the type of job where anyone can do it because you are basically holding down the fort.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
They will take you off payroll without your permission (I went to school for 3mnths only)
a busy place with non stop work
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 July 2017
huge functions are hosted at vancouver convention centre all the time. the management value the building and the food over the customer service. a place to start a career
Nice place to work
Banquet server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 June 2017
Good Company to work with. Awesome people! Staff are very friendly and they are very accommodating in terms of work environment. Easy to work and communicate with your managers or supervisor
fantastic people and culture
Manager On Duty/Guest Service (Concierge) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 May 2017
Every day is different as we do different evets day to day from the very famous TED talks to the International Auto show and as small as a 300 pax wedding everything is amazing and fun!
Pros
great culture
Cons
event hours
Workplace is convinient
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Downtown vancouver7 January 2017
Housekeeping is a broad term that is used to define the handling of cleanliness and maintenance needs in both in domestic and commercial. Duties and responsibilies: - clean rooms,lounges,lobbies,bathroom and hallways. - vacuum and wash carpets and rugs. -empty wastepaper buskets and ashtrays. - dust and polish wooden surfaces and furniture. - reflenish bathroom.
Fun workplace under heavy load of equipment to set up.
Houseman (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 August 2016
Crew members are supervised under Crew leaders and Supervisors. Some days depending on the event, building stages and rooms can be stressful. However, other crew staff are there to help each other. There are a lot of equipment under our department to use for these events which requires effort and safety.
Pros
Meal break is provided, work environment is clean, staff and other department workers are great.
Cons
Can be stressful during busy events.
work day
Cook (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2016
prep for service run service ,working as a team .Do banquet prep and banquet service support other employees if needed.
Pros
lunch provided, learn to manage time
Cons
A toxic environment where more energy is spent hiding from work than doing it.
Set Up Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2015
Constantly over worked well beyond exhaustion.
No career path or development. Management conducts Performance Reviews at the nearest bar.
Pros
some of the people there want to do the best job possible.
Cons
most staff steal anything that isn't nailed down.
Productive and Well organized team
Kitchen Steward (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2015
Working as kitchen steward starts every shifts, morning until midnight, usually by a team of three to four members. It is a team effort task, where each member has its own location and responsibility to work for. The team is monitored very well by the manager and the members or co workers are fun to work with.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Few workers for a given task
As a team member
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 March 2015
In convention centre, every time caption will provide a partner for me, we must do the job together, so cooperate with my partner is very important!
I enjoyed meeting new people and being part of a team.
SERVER/HOST (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2014
I was a part-time banquet server. I had to set up my station and serve guests with food and beverages.
I learned to work as part of a team. Helping each other in making sure all the guests were happy and satisfied. My co-workers were always friendly and outgoing. The hardest part of the job was carrying many food trays on a tray.
The most enjoyable part of the job was we got to eat, sometimes watch events going on at the time of dinner. We also got to take home souveniers being given out that night.
Pros
I met different people.
Cons
Sometimes have to stay late.
Flexible, Fun Job as a Banquet Server
Banquet Server, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 July 2014
Fun job that (usually) is comprised of executive high-volume functions. However, working in such large organizations can be a bit overwhelming and stressful at times- especially given the scope of roles (full time career-driven employees, and part-time relaxed workers).
Pros
Free Lunches; Friendly Environment
Cons
Lack of Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Convention Centre. Our community is ready to answer.

Vancouver Convention Centre Reviews by Location