Vancouver Convention Centre

Vancouver Convention Centre Employee Reviews

Management teams are so friendly. They are always trying to help us complete our job as well as we can. Even we have some highly requested events from customers. It's really hard for the staff to do sometimes. However, our managers worked really hard to direct and assist us. Finally, our customers were very satisfied with that.
a bad work culture.....you have to work twice as much to make enough to live off....they charge way too much for services and there is way too much management who are at best narcissistic....there isn't enough work for the full year and you end up having to take another job for 4 months of the year...
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
everything else
People are genuinely worried about your well being at work. I've learned lots about hierarchy in the workplace. Being such a big company there are many steps to go through when you want to get work done.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Too many "bosses"
Everyday is a classroom, exciting events day to day and challenges that change with every event. Colleagues are excellent and it has recognized as the best event centre for multiple years
Pros
Excellent people, benefits
Cons
Occasional long hours
different place to be than restaurants where I came from. Big team lots of planning, big numbers, ordering by numbers, lots of HR work, meetings and planning ordering, production execution and again
Hello, Vancouver convention center is great place to work there because they provide proper security for their worker as well as customer. This is place where i never feel stress, and i enjoyed there a lot. My manager and supervisior are very friendly and honest and they also help if we need. Thanks
The Pastry chef doesn't like employees to talk and have a fun environment, sometimes Condensending. Have to lift and operate huge machineries. High employee turn over.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
lunch only 15mins including 5 mins to walk to cafeteria
Seeing the events come and go is fun. You basically get a vip pass to any event. Just walking through was cool enough. Sometimes the attendees were rude though.
it's not worth working with this company. They give you less hours and min pay, no benefits. long working hours require a lot of standing and a lot of walking
It is a dynamic environment, with a solid culture of customer satisfaction and result orientation. The most important aspect is to be on time at the work place.
Long hours with no proper breaks. To many managers on, giving conflicting information. They want English to be the only language spoken on the floor but Chinese and Spanish are the ones spoken between staff even when there are non speakers present. Always are over staffed so shifts are long as there is a lot of down time.
Employees can work well together. for me good communication is important, as is being able to follow directions efficiently and meeting the physical demands of the job. A positive attitude while on the job is also essential. I learned so much working here and gained valuable experience.
job is only recommended as part time work to supplement your full time job.When it hits the busy season people tend to get overworked due to the lack of man power scheduled.The fork lift aspect of the job is better than the labour part.The labour aspect involves setting up for major conventions and f and b functions which at most times can be very demanding.
start with meeting the building manger for the day and get a briefing regarding anything that is going on the the new briefing that the client give overnight. Brief the guards and deploy them and check up on them.
Pros
free lunch and fun place to work
Cons
different hours to work
I was bartending so people were usually nice to me. The convention centre puts on many awesome functions. The atmosphere was pretty good, and the people were usually the best part.
Pros
free lunches
A typical work day includes following a list of objectives that must be completed. This can include dividing the team into multiple groups and setting up multiple conference rooms or focusing all manpower to reset a large ballroom. Delegation, intercommunication and project management skills are key attributes to succeed. At any point in setting up a room many tasks are being executed simultaneously; linen collection for tabletops and stages, equipment collection ie chairs, tables stages, and equipment removal. This is a great venue for developing management skills.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Little help by management
It is advertised that there is 3-meal-course. That's correct if only you work in the am shift and able to get a lunch break. The food served for staff is leftover food from functions. May be 3-5 day old or 1 day. If you work in pm shift then you may end up with cold sandwich or nothing. Sometimes there is no break at all. Managment is always a taker..asks for more availability in return we get unfair hourly rate. New hires make as much as senior staff. If you bring this unfairness to managements attention then they blame you to discuss your wage with others. I have been working at that place for 4 years and my rate is as same as a new hire. Hiw fair that is. ??!! Since it is not unionize it is very easy to get fired. One of us got fired because he took 2 muffins instead of 1 in her lunch break. I am not saying what she did was ok but it shouldn't be that easy to give up on your employees. Vcc doesn't really give any value to its employees;everyone is replaceable for it. Not only servers even captains; I have seen a lot. We tried to bring union to vcc but management played an ugly game on Us becouse management doesn't want to give up on 18%service charge that goes in every single management pocket.( There is no gratuities for servers, stewards nor housman.) Vcc brought people against union had them sign against union. As a result even though vcc staff wanted to be unionized ppl from outside who dont work for vcc voted against union. How low is that ???!!! Vcc is so mean that there is no employee of the month it is only every 6 months. Because vcc disnt want to - more...
Pros
Flexible shifts, location, career starter
Cons
No grats, no recognition, no raise
working in the kitchen with diverse people is one of the best experience I have ever had. The managers and supervisors are very generous to their employee
Pros
Free food
Cons
scheduling
Cet endroit m'a donné l'occasion de rencontrer beaucoup de gens et d'apprendre d'eux. C'était très occupé, très dynamique
Working at the Convention Centre was a learning experience and a stepping stone to the hard work I would have to put in if I wanted to start an apprenticeship. They taught us how to be quick, detailed and most importantly precise. It was a good environment to work in.
Pros
great location
all colleagues are amazing to work with, the very best in the business, Everyone of the staff is very professional and willing to do whatever it takes to make for an extremely successful event.
Pros
good location
Cons
shift work, event based