Vancouver Community College

Working at Vancouver Community College: Employee Reviews

Canada50 reviews

studentcollegeenjoyenvironmentgoodworkinggreatpeople

VCC workplace

Vcc is a large community college that employs professionals for a lot of different departments. If you are interested in working at VCC there are many opportunities. They offer education to employees and a few campus locations to work at.

Pros

Free education, flexible hours

Cons

Management could be improved

Potentially rewarding but unfortunately unhealthy and toxic workplace.

The college has much potential, in that many talented and dedicated people work there. However, it seems that either governmental or institutional budget cuts and austerity measures at times cause coworkers to turn on each other…making the workplace somewhat of a toxic one to work in.

Insights into Vancouver Community College

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment
  • Sense of belonging

Profoundly mismanaged at the time I was Working there

I worked at Vancouver community college for six years starting in the year 2010. The people are great, very committed, and there are all sorts of amazing innovative programs for the community that come out of the college. However the management was terrible, wasted resources, terrible morale, and an incredible burden was placed on employees to make up for the incapability at higher levels.

Phenomenal Company to work for - IT policies limit student creativity

As a new instructor in an architecturally based department, it has been such an AMAZING place to work.The teaching facilities are top not along with alot of the equipment.The governing IT policies and lack of response time to fix CRITICAL problems is uacceptable, but that is out of your control and the college has to speak to that.The department has nothing but the best quality teachers and mentors who openly accept you and ask you if you need help - all led by a fantastic leader who gets things done when needed, or guides you to learn on your own.A place I fully appreciate and will never leave.

Fast-pace but good workplace

I worked as Program Assistant in two different departments. Some are busier and fas-paced than others, but overall lots of students inquiries (customer service skills are a must) and I feel very welcomed by co-workers and formers employees. Salaries are lower than other (bigger) colleges, but good benefits packages due to the union.

Pros

Benefits Packages; Paid Vacation, Extended Health, Location

Cons

Lower salaries, few options for career development

workload

if u have other job than this u will really compare the workload of vcc espcially if ur working on the kitchen they will tell u u will be assigned in dish washing for 3 months and u dont know how heavy the pots and too much trays u have to wash and how many r u only in the dishwashng room.. so sad but its not easy job

Pros

fair salary

Cons

workload is too much

Lucky if you stick to it

People in union are not as welcoming as they may seem is the biggest takeaway from it. It pays well but mostly old staff which will not make way for new people to make a life. Nepotism at play. Managers like to bossy and intimidating and infighting is always going on department to department. Can’t make a peaceful living because of people at work.

Below salary and below budgets

Basically things move pretty slow at VCC. They have limited budget to do much but management isn't really motivated to do much anyway. This is a union environment and also gov't environment and so things are slow for red tape as well. The salary is far below average but with sick days and holidays and only 35 hr work week it could be a good trade off to people. The benefits are "ok" meaning when you are told you have 100% coverage they mean you have 100% coverage from 2015ish rates. They match pension which is a great benefit but with the low salary its a little bit hard to manage with the cost of living in Vancouver. The management depends on the department and so I'm reluctant to comment on management.

Fun supported work environment

I worked part time for VCC, I really enjoyed working there and the people and management I worked with. It is a lovely happy friendly workplace. The job was stressful at times but there was great support so nothing too much to worry about. The hours were great and the pay was also great. They held events for staff and training onsite too.

Good benefits, aparent job security, sudden dismissal, no reason

Full time employee. Let go at the end of last working day before 1 yr anniversary, Reason: "no reason!!". 2 months of compensation pay. Sad, unprofessional leadership!

fun teachers

awesome teachers community practicum was horrible the Duke house practicum was an toxic and abusive environment and I wouldn't recommend it to any sutdent

Specifically the VCC Salon and Spa

A typical day at work is checking in clients and answering phone calls. Communication is key. The regulars can be really sweet and I've gotten to know them over time. The environment can be very fast paced.

Pros

Great benefits, sick/vacation time after you've passed probation period

Cons

Not much natural light, I've had issues with my time sheet being submitted on time which effected my pay

Fast paced but contributing to student's success

my time has been very busy but not without abundant support of my co-workers and my direct supervisor, I've taken my customer service skills to a high level

The best place I have ever worked

When I started at VCC, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The worst day I ever had at VCC was still much better than the best days I had in other jobs.

Productive and always have a chance to learn new experiences

Productive and always have a chance to learn new experiences. Multicultural environment helps to get to know about your limits.

Pros

Multicultural

fun school

teachers and instructors are amazing and always go out of their way to help students.

Pros

lots of connections

Cons

too nice

Great organization

I enjoyed the campus location and the people. The benefits are great, the people who work there are professional. I felt it was a good work/life balance with schedule. They promote healthy lifestyle and offered benefits such as yoga classes at lunch. The campus is centrally located, easy to get to via bike or public transit.

Pros

job security, good benefits, nice campus, bike lockers, work life balance

Very supportive person toward deaf adults

Helping them learn how to read and write, communication skills and life skills. Worked with ppl at VCC was extremely awesome!! The culture was awesome, we all get along even though they are not from Canada.

Pros

Easy going job

Cons

Deaf Adults have to leave .

Very beneficial while attending school

I was offered a student aid position and the hours were the most flexible I've ever had, Lovely staff as well. It's very nice to work where you are attending I'm so glad they have these positions.

Great Employer

Great employer, lots of variety of work. They give you a great foundation and access to improving yourself through personal and professional development.

Fantastic school

Vancouver community college, Autofilled. Good school to get certified in many different fields including auto body technician and mechanics. Approved

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Community College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement