Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.
All of the professionals I work with are helpful in a team stratagem. A wide multi-cultural group always willing to pitch in. Fast paced work schedule makes the day go fast,
Pros
Flexible jobs that allow you to learn at a reasonable pace.
Cons
Supplies that need to be brought to medical staff are delayed because of poor elevation system.
After 12 years of service I can honestly say that Vancouver Coastal Health is an awful place to work. It drained my soul and sucked the life out of me.
We attempt to develop and strengthen a community that is typically stigmatized negatively and assist them with whatever needs we can offer immediately.
Shift work allows for different environment. Organized and structured. Management is available for support. Workplace culture is great and diverse. Hardest part of the job are rotating shifts. Enjoyable part of the job is spending time with people off unit doing activities that bring them joy.
i really enjoyed going to work everyday. I rarely had a bad day and would always end up going home happier then when I left. I recommend this place for anyone who wants a happy and fulfilling job
Pros
makes you feel good
Cons
people passing away
However, management styles differed in processes and communication styles between teams. Overall, most were very good. The work is interesting and team members very supportive of each other. Lots of ways to access education and support in the daily tasks and responsibilities.
Pros
Very good environment to work with team members.
Cons
Minimal.
Public sector so very little in the way of compensation. Unless it is a union position it is a precarious environment. Middle management heavy with a culture of do as little as possible and never take a risk.
Pros
Good work / life balance
Cons
Lots of dead end positions
poor adversarial place to work with difficult union and near sighted mangement that is always looking for a scapegoat despite good preformance and reviews
I did not spend much time at this job as there was not enough on the job training available and therefore I could not continue. The environment was nice, clean and respectful.
Interesting projects and great benefits. Opportunities for growth with new projects. Only downside is the salary freezes that are sometimes implemented.
Benefits
Cons
Salary limits
Registration and booking appointments for patients, arranging transport, reminder calls, reviewing film for Radiologist, pulling files, arranging couriers to take various film to different hospitals Hardest part of the job was not having enough time to complete some tasks, unable to contact patients Loved the challenge of this job, everyday was something different.
Pros
community atmosphere
Cons
dealing with unhappy people
Had bad time with management and clinical coordinator bullying. Most coworker really nice but some no life or jelous one bully for manager. HEU no help employee but help company.
Pros
Good pay, nice long vacation
Cons
Expensive parking but free bicycle room
Over the ten years I worked for Vancouver Coastal Health, I learned so much! Every department I worked in opened a new world for me: psychology, geriatric issues, community health. The work ranged from the mundane, i.e. photocopying, filing, to very interesting tasks, i.e., scoring mental health questionnaires, dicta typing, helping with social programs, etc. The work was quite stable. Being publicly funded, the health region was, however, affected by changes in provincial government and its policies. This affected staffing rates, budgets, and pay.
Pros
Stable, interesting work
Cons
Subject to Government Policies
Staff are nice, you need to work hard to earn your place. What the company does for the community is amazing. Lots of very smart, experienced, and intelligent people to work with.
good was interesting job and good people I like th people and th interesting times we spent together and I would work there again I enjoyed the people alot
Learn basic skills as a health social worker. There is little room for growth, however, seeing as there are about 100 social workers and only two supervisors. No funding for professional development.
terrible work environment full of toxic people. No two-way communication exists from management to workers. Onboarding and training process is ineffective, and does not facilitate a high-learning climate. I do not recommend working here
The people here always try their best to help each other out and try to be friends with one another. There are moments of urgency and stress and during those moments, people are always willing to try their best to make it work.
worked Full scope as a Licensed Practical Nurse, excellent place to work in different settings such as: nursing home, assisting living, rehabilitation
Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare. Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves. Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged. Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them. Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic. You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.
Pros
union protected
Cons
very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation