Vancouver Coastal Health logo
Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Work-life balance reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

Stressful at times. Rewarding at others

Teamwork is essential. You have to care about people. Cant be afraid to get your hands dirty. Be a forward thinker. Anticipate what the team needs. There is a lot of Type A personalities here. If your feelings get hurt easily then carefully consider this job.

I started as a casual float employee at VGH and have had almost no drama at work. Majority of the people I have worked with have ranged from either pleasant to enjoyable. The work load varies from very light to very busy and most days feel quite fulfilling in terms of feeling valued and needed. The hardest part is witnessing the loss of loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job is being surrounded by people you are happy to see every shift you work, the stories you share and the friendships you build, especially if you find the unit where you feel you most belong. The only set-back in terms or my position is that there is no real opportunity for job advancement.

good place to work

I loved working for VCH, love the community support supervisors all way willing to help. and always asking about how the worker is feeling with any new client.

Great Place to Work

I have been working with VCH for only a few years now, and I don't have anything negative to say. They are a great company to work for, with lots of opportunities for advancement and education.

Large organization with a small office feel

I really enjoy working and collaborating with my co-workers on a daily basis. Although VCH is a large organization, our office still maintains a small community feel, which makes coming to more enjoyable! VCH promotes a great work-life balance and provides awesome benefits :)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, co-workers

Great work environment and co-workers

Fantastic place to work. Lots of work available for staff. Only problem is that the organization is quite hierarchical, which creates a lengthy approval process.

Pros

Benefits, co-workers, culture

Cons

Approval process, slow to make decisions

Great People

Excellent pay, benefits and people that you work with. At certain times it can get very busy so it is important to stay very organized. The hardest part of the job is can get very demanding as we enter the healthcare environment to help, and one learns that it is a team effort.

Great staff

Nice place to work with great nurses. Good stepping stone for further career development. Happy with where it has lead me, but excited to see what's next in my career

Great Place to Work

This is a very high energy job and you are constantly on the go which I love. There is never a dull moment and I grew very close to my co-workers and the residence. I will truly miss them all.

Pros

You can pick up as many hours as you like

Cons

The work load is pretty hard at times as we were short staffed a lot of the time.

First step towards something better

This is the proverbial foot in the door. Although you may not be assured another position next summer if you go above and beyond what is expected of you then you can be sure you will be remembered and they will make an effort to find something for you to do.

Pros

great pay

Cons

only for the summer usually

Jobs at Vancouver Coastal Health

See more jobs

Hard to get into but so rewarding

The job can be hard at times but it is well worth the experience and confidence it gives you when you move on to something else. The people are very nice and if you need to ask a question they will take the time to answer because they want you to succeed.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

hard to get into

Great People

I work with amazing people, including a clinical supervisor who encourages professional development, a work-life balance, and autonomy.

Staffing Clerk

Very busy, and constantly changing as often you don't have enough staff to fill shifts. Learned that you need to be adaptable and flexible in an ever changing minute by minute day. Co-workers often are a great source of information, and working together for the common goal is what I liked the most.

Pros

great team members

Cons

management can sometimes be a challenge

Very good place to work

It's a busy place and I enjoy working there. It can be trying but that is part of life's experiences especially in a hospital and working in the float pool where I go everywhere, I see a lot of different situations. It has been good for the most part

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Very long hours or work week

Both good and bad

Worked with some fantastic people. Great place to work when you have the right leadership. Satisfying to know you are making a difference to patients. Not a great work environment if leadership not supportive or not in touch with what is happening in day-to-day service delivery. It is very hard to see staff who feel unsupported or uncertain about future.

Pros

Some people fantastic to work with. Good benefits package.

Cons

Work environment is not always good.

Good place to work, great colleagues, never boring

The health care industry is always changing and growing and at times can be challenging. My co-workers are great, and caring about the people that they look after. Like any large organization there are pros and cons.

I recommend working here as the people are very friendly and the work culture is very communal. I've been very happy working here.

Both social and fun place to work.

Learned something new everyday. Multi-tasking at all times makes the day fly by. Awesome Supervisor. Co-workers became good friends.

Pros

Pot-Luck lunches, after hours social activities.

Cons

My commute.

Advancement

Excellent place to work with room for advancement and exposure to many different areas/departments.

Excellent teamwork and family oriented workplace

Busy and sometimes exhausting but rewarding in the end. Had an opportunity to work with a different mix of people from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Such a diverse range of patients with a rich vibrant culture which helped me not only to grow professionally, but also as a human being.

I worked in one of the community sites as a speech pathologist and had a great experience working with my peers and other healthcare professionals.

Pros

limited traveling within the community, flexible scheduling of appointments

Cons

limited opportunities to advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement