Vancouver Coastal Health logo

Vancouver Coastal Health Work-life balance reviews

Clear
Work-life balance
Pay & benefits

Stressful at times. Rewarding at others

Teamwork is essential. You have to care about people. Cant be afraid to get your hands dirty. Be a forward thinker. Anticipate what the team needs. There is a lot of Type A personalities here. If your feelings get hurt easily then carefully consider this job.

Has its ups and downs

The day is often stressful, but that is what it is like working in Mental Health. However, management has not been making good decisions lately, and the workplace culture is filled with bullying. If it weren't what I wanted to do for my future, I would have left a long time ago. Recently, budget cuts have harmed so many!

Pros

Some awesome co-workers

Cons

Long hours and little value

Great team to work with

Has thus far been a rewarding choice to work for Vancouver Coastal Health, not only have I learned a lot I find the work load to be reasonable as well. We have a great team with positive attitudes and there proves to be opportunities to educate ourselves every day.

Pros

The hours of my position are a perfect fit to my schedule.

Excellent Workplace

There are many stressful elements to Emergency Nursing and I always feel supported in my position there. There are amble opportunities for education, advancement and collaboration.

Very happy to be working for VCH

I highly recommend VCH. They are very supportive for new hired employees. The culture is very welcoming and there's always room for growth and opportunities.

Requires individuals who are willing to put in the effort.

It's hard to get your initial job with VCH, but once you do, there is lots of room to grow and for internal transfers so that you can find a job that is the best fit for your interests and skill set. Unfortunately, job security can be double edged in that some of your co-workers and manager may be out paced by their current role and responsibilities, and are not meeting the challenge as well as some others might. It's unfortunate that despite the innovation that occurs, many of my coworkers are burnt out and jaded working for the health authority, but the money and benefits are good so they are reluctant to give up their position.

Great job that serves the older adult population

Run scheduled programs to meet the needs of the older adult members. Wait for member to arrive at Adult Day Program and at the end of the day wait for each members to leave centre. Hardest part of the job is having patience. The most enjoyable part is the staff

good team support and benefits

busy environment, day goes by fast, with multitask abilities is highly recommended, Great team support and supervisor support. Stable job security Great benefits

Diverse people. Fun work environment.

Shift work allows for different environment. Organized and structured. Management is available for support. Workplace culture is great and diverse. Hardest part of the job are rotating shifts. Enjoyable part of the job is spending time with people off unit doing activities that bring them joy.

great work place

i really enjoyed going to work everyday. I rarely had a bad day and would always end up going home happier then when I left. I recommend this place for anyone who wants a happy and fulfilling job

Pros

makes you feel good

Cons

people passing away

Jobs at Vancouver Coastal Health

See more jobs

Mixed Bag

Public sector so very little in the way of compensation. Unless it is a union position it is a precarious environment. Middle management heavy with a culture of do as little as possible and never take a risk.

Pros

Good work / life balance

Cons

Lots of dead end positions

worked as a community health nurse

I did not spend much time at this job as there was not enough on the job training available and therefore I could not continue. The environment was nice, clean and respectful.

Great opportunities and interesting projects

Interesting projects and great benefits. Opportunities for growth with new projects. Only downside is the salary freezes that are sometimes implemented.

Benefits

Cons

Salary limits

Challenging opportunity

Staff are nice, you need to work hard to earn your place. What the company does for the community is amazing. Lots of very smart, experienced, and intelligent people to work with.

Friendly and supportive workplace

The people here always try their best to help each other out and try to be friends with one another. There are moments of urgency and stress and during those moments, people are always willing to try their best to make it work.

Great Place

the team I am working with is amazing and very organize. from the time i start to finish i enjoy it. it is interesting every day, definitely get to learn something new everyday.

benefits

Cons

not flexible

Great Vacation and Benefits; Poor Management Practices

Arrive to work on-time and leave on-time. A fantastic vacation package consisting of 4-weeks to start, and fully paid benefits (deductibles present for most services). The workplace culture is poor. Management understands this is a problem however not much is done to rectify the issue. Management stated room for growth and advancement opportunities during interview process, however once you are on-board, opportunities are few and far between and given based on seniority (even in excluded environments).

Horrible Management

Management doesn't cares about Employees at all just a terrible Company. I won't recommend Vancouver Coastal Health to anyone there's zero work life balance.

Benefits

Cons

Management is just a disgrace

I started as a casual float employee at VGH and have had almost no drama at work. Majority of the people I have worked with have ranged from either pleasant to enjoyable. The work load varies from very light to very busy and most days feel quite fulfilling in terms of feeling valued and needed. The hardest part is witnessing the loss of loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job is being surrounded by people you are happy to see every shift you work, the stories you share and the friendships you build, especially if you find the unit where you feel you most belong. The only set-back in terms or my position is that there is no real opportunity for job advancement.

Great Place to Work

I have been working with VCH for only a few years now, and I don't have anything negative to say. They are a great company to work for, with lots of opportunities for advancement and education.

Large organization with a small office feel

I really enjoy working and collaborating with my co-workers on a daily basis. Although VCH is a large organization, our office still maintains a small community feel, which makes coming to more enjoyable! VCH promotes a great work-life balance and provides awesome benefits :)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement