Vancouver Coastal Health

Canada186 reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

meh

management could be better. staffing could be better. some support for new grads. various paid educational opportunities offered. dedicated new grad support.

Pros

educational opportunities

Cons

long hours, inadequate staffing

Good salary, benefits, managers, admin support

Overall great experience compared to other health authorities. Primary care culture makes it hard to have good work-life balance. Managers in my area were very supportive and helpful

Insights into Vancouver Coastal Health

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

It's okay, depends on the site you are at.

Some sites are not to bad and you feel like you are doing well there with some great colleagues. However, depending on where you get hired it can be very cliquey(sp?) between the staff. The clients/patients for the most part are good and you can feel like you really made a difference in their life.

Cons

Cliques

Great Place to work

Great Place to work. The only downside is the bright lights that give me a headache. Scheduling is online so no annoying phone calls through out the day.

Disastrous !

Working at VCH as a temporary hire is a real eye-opener. One would have never thought how chaotic and poorly managed this organization is; scheduling, payroll, work duties, training. Everything is a complete mess. Work duties, work hours, work schedule, work locations keep changing, the only thing that remains unchanged is your wage rate. On the upside, it does motivate you to find a "real job".

Pros

nothing

Cons

long hours, no benefits, low wage, hostile work-environment

Has its ups and downs

The day is often stressful, but that is what it is like working in Mental Health. However, management has not been making good decisions lately, and the workplace culture is filled with bullying. If it weren't what I wanted to do for my future, I would have left a long time ago. Recently, budget cuts have harmed so many!

Pros

Some awesome co-workers

Cons

Long hours and little value

Great team to work with

Has thus far been a rewarding choice to work for Vancouver Coastal Health, not only have I learned a lot I find the work load to be reasonable as well. We have a great team with positive attitudes and there proves to be opportunities to educate ourselves every day.

Pros

The hours of my position are a perfect fit to my schedule.

Stressful at times. Rewarding at others

Teamwork is essential. You have to care about people. Cant be afraid to get your hands dirty. Be a forward thinker. Anticipate what the team needs. There is a lot of Type A personalities here. If your feelings get hurt easily then carefully consider this job.

Excellent Workplace

There are many stressful elements to Emergency Nursing and I always feel supported in my position there. There are amble opportunities for education, advancement and collaboration.

Very happy to be working for VCH

I highly recommend VCH. They are very supportive for new hired employees. The culture is very welcoming and there's always room for growth and opportunities.

Requires individuals who are willing to put in the effort.

It's hard to get your initial job with VCH, but once you do, there is lots of room to grow and for internal transfers so that you can find a job that is the best fit for your interests and skill set. Unfortunately, job security can be double edged in that some of your co-workers and manager may be out paced by their current role and responsibilities, and are not meeting the challenge as well as some others might. It's unfortunate that despite the innovation that occurs, many of my coworkers are burnt out and jaded working for the health authority, but the money and benefits are good so they are reluctant to give up their position.

Great job that serves the older adult population

Run scheduled programs to meet the needs of the older adult members. Wait for member to arrive at Adult Day Program and at the end of the day wait for each members to leave centre. Hardest part of the job is having patience. The most enjoyable part is the staff

Workload is too much to handle , at times

Too much work, demanding Staff cooperative, still tiring at the end of each shift. Work environment is good Benefits are good At times ,less staff to handle patient volume.

good team support and benefits

busy environment, day goes by fast, with multitask abilities is highly recommended, Great team support and supervisor support. Stable job security Great benefits

Diverse people. Fun work environment.

Shift work allows for different environment. Organized and structured. Management is available for support. Workplace culture is great and diverse. Hardest part of the job are rotating shifts. Enjoyable part of the job is spending time with people off unit doing activities that bring them joy.

great work place

i really enjoyed going to work everyday. I rarely had a bad day and would always end up going home happier then when I left. I recommend this place for anyone who wants a happy and fulfilling job

Pros

makes you feel good

Cons

people passing away

Mixed Bag

Public sector so very little in the way of compensation. Unless it is a union position it is a precarious environment. Middle management heavy with a culture of do as little as possible and never take a risk.

Pros

Good work / life balance

Cons

Lots of dead end positions

worked as a community health nurse

I did not spend much time at this job as there was not enough on the job training available and therefore I could not continue. The environment was nice, clean and respectful.

Great opportunities and interesting projects

Interesting projects and great benefits. Opportunities for growth with new projects. Only downside is the salary freezes that are sometimes implemented.

Benefits

Cons

Salary limits

Challenging opportunity

Staff are nice, you need to work hard to earn your place. What the company does for the community is amazing. Lots of very smart, experienced, and intelligent people to work with.

Friendly and supportive workplace

The people here always try their best to help each other out and try to be friends with one another. There are moments of urgency and stress and during those moments, people are always willing to try their best to make it work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement