Vancouver Coastal Health

Canada184 reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

vancouvercoastalhealthsupporthospitalorganizationteamcommunity

Fast pasted work environment.

Good co workers but bad management. Pay is low for the amount of stress you work under. Must be able to multi task. Always working short staffed. Benefits could be better.

Booking Clerk

Good work environment but low pay. Good benefits and vacation. Hoping once they negotiate a new contract for us, the wages will increase. Benefits are fantastic and you accrue vacation and sick days.

Pros

Benefits and vacation

Cons

low wage

Insights into Vancouver Coastal Health

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Lots of opportunities for continued education from the Union. Great extended health benefits.

Required to be at work for more than 8 hours, but paid for 7.5 hours. Management is great and always approachable. Staff very supportive of each other.

Vancouver Coastal Health Authority does not value its employees

My overall experience working for the company for over 20 years, the pay is OK for my job position but not high enough to be inline with inflation. The medical, dental and extended benefits are excellent. They do have a Municipal Pension Plan and new employees start out on 18 days vacation. As for stress, it depends on which worksite you work at and which job an employee is doing. I personally did not feel valued as an employee by the organization. The organization has a punitive approach towards dealing with issues. It’s a union company but they have jobs that are union and out of contract which is non union.

Fun friendly staff and residence

I have work in 3 facility and by far VCh is the best place to work. Staff are friendly and helpful. I am always happy to be at work and I like how the manager managing and reminding staff to be careful during this time.

Pros

Staff and residence are friendly

Cons

Long drive for me and hard to fine parking

Had a great time working there too many managers

Good fair pay. Too many Managers changing schedules or asking you too spy on fellow workers and report back. Nurses and co workers are great. If you can handle 12 hour shifts this is a good place to work.

Pros

Decent pay, great team work, everyday is differant

Cons

Too many managers

Disastrous !

Working at VCH as a temporary hire is a real eye-opener. One would have never thought how chaotic and poorly managed this organization is; scheduling, payroll, work duties, training. Everything is a complete mess. Work duties, work hours, work schedule, work locations keep changing, the only thing that remains unchanged is your wage rate. On the upside, it does motivate you to find a "real job".

Pros

nothing

Cons

long hours, no benefits, low wage, hostile work-environment

Terrible management and educators

Managers don't care about how badly the budget cuts effect their employees. Since I started, they have added many more responsibilities on to my job role without appreciation or compensation. Their attitude towards employees is that we are disposable and that we are expected to comply without having any say in what is an appropriate and reasonable amount of work. Many people end up with injuries because there is not enough time to do things properly. Everything is rushed to try and finish the work that multiple people should be handling.

Pros

job security

Cons

extremely stressful

Its okay

Management was not great and didn't give you the support needed. If you had an issue with something, they wouldn't even be listening to your problems. Also, most management are friends and will do everything possible to stab you in the back

Pros

Medical benefits

Cons

No support needed, short staffed

fun workplace.... great coworkers

it's a great place to work and make friends... management supports you. There is training provided.... and you have the support of your co-workers well. we are Unionized... our benefits and wages are pretty good

Pros

allowed to currently work from home

Cons

6am starts take some getting used to.. in the winter... parking is expensive

Good but could have been better

Good but could have been better. Not enough hours. But they keep hiring. No benefits until you're regular but goodluck getting that regular job. Im just there for the money I guess. I need to survive.

Great workplace environment & culture

Have worked at multiple locations within Vancouver Community teams (Mental Health and Substance Use [both Adult and Child & Youth], palliative care). The culture is similar between all and very warm, welcoming coworkers and management at all. Benefits package is decent. Overall a good place to work!

Fast Paced

Great benefits & pay, but you pay for it with your mental health. So many burned out staff; unable to give quality care with the workload, but still is expected of us. Stressful environment, managers not supportive, very punitive. To succeed, you need to be highly organized, super efficient, really caring, assertive, able to handle high degree of stress, high cognitive function

Very Professional and fair

Very Professional and fair. I have had nothing but a positive experience working for Vancouver Coastal Health. I will continue to offer the high standard care. Lana Obrigavitch

Requires individuals who are willing to put in the effort.

It's hard to get your initial job with VCH, but once you do, there is lots of room to grow and for internal transfers so that you can find a job that is the best fit for your interests and skill set. Unfortunately, job security can be double edged in that some of your co-workers and manager may be out paced by their current role and responsibilities, and are not meeting the challenge as well as some others might. It's unfortunate that despite the innovation that occurs, many of my coworkers are burnt out and jaded working for the health authority, but the money and benefits are good so they are reluctant to give up their position.

Good place to work. Heavy workload!

Wonderful team, lots of support. Workload can become extremely heavy ...as with all health authorities so not unique to VCH Lots of opportunities to trial other areas or programs Great benefits and vacation. Salary doesn’t keep up with cost of living in Vancouver!

Workload is too much to handle , at times

Too much work, demanding Staff cooperative, still tiring at the end of each shift. Work environment is good Benefits are good At times ,less staff to handle patient volume.

good team support and benefits

busy environment, day goes by fast, with multitask abilities is highly recommended, Great team support and supervisor support. Stable job security Great benefits

Good work spce and good environment

Working in vch is a good place to work and right place to work. Had a good benifits. The facility that i worked right now is a bit far from my home base but so far i like my facility.

Mixed Bag

Public sector so very little in the way of compensation. Unless it is a union position it is a precarious environment. Middle management heavy with a culture of do as little as possible and never take a risk.

Pros

Good work / life balance

Cons

Lots of dead end positions

Great opportunities and interesting projects

Interesting projects and great benefits. Opportunities for growth with new projects. Only downside is the salary freezes that are sometimes implemented.

Benefits

Cons

Salary limits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement