Vancouver Coastal Health logo
Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Management reviews

Clear

Do not work on ortho/trauma

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.

Diverse people. Fun work environment.

Shift work allows for different environment. Organized and structured. Management is available for support. Workplace culture is great and diverse. Hardest part of the job are rotating shifts. Enjoyable part of the job is spending time with people off unit doing activities that bring them joy.

Overall, great place to work. Enjoyed my role there.

However, management styles differed in processes and communication styles between teams. Overall, most were very good. The work is interesting and team members very supportive of each other. Lots of ways to access education and support in the daily tasks and responsibilities.

Pros

Very good environment to work with team members.

Cons

Minimal.

Mixed Bag

Public sector so very little in the way of compensation. Unless it is a union position it is a precarious environment. Middle management heavy with a culture of do as little as possible and never take a risk.

Pros

Good work / life balance

Cons

Lots of dead end positions

Difficult place to work \

poor adversarial place to work with difficult union and near sighted mangement that is always looking for a scapegoat despite good preformance and reviews

Too much high school politics clinical coordinator bullies

Had bad time with management and clinical coordinator bullying. Most coworker really nice but some no life or jelous one bully for manager. HEU no help employee but help company.

Pros

Good pay, nice long vacation

Cons

Expensive parking but free bicycle room

Toxic work climate

terrible work environment full of toxic people. No two-way communication exists from management to workers. Onboarding and training process is ineffective, and does not facilitate a high-learning climate. I do not recommend working here

Very poor management with no individual or team support

Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare. Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves. Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged. Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them. Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic. You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.

Pros

union protected

Cons

very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation

Great Vacation and Benefits; Poor Management Practices

Arrive to work on-time and leave on-time. A fantastic vacation package consisting of 4-weeks to start, and fully paid benefits (deductibles present for most services). The workplace culture is poor. Management understands this is a problem however not much is done to rectify the issue. Management stated room for growth and advancement opportunities during interview process, however once you are on-board, opportunities are few and far between and given based on seniority (even in excluded environments).

Horrible Management

Management doesn't cares about Employees at all just a terrible Company. I won't recommend Vancouver Coastal Health to anyone there's zero work life balance.

Benefits

Cons

Management is just a disgrace

Jobs at Vancouver Coastal Health

See more jobs

Good Workplace, but management needs work

Good Workplace to work, but management needs work. Training manuals need to be updated and workplace drama and politics should not be inflicted onto others.

Pros

Salary and benefits

Cons

Management lacks and workplace drama and politics

Used to be a great place to work before management changed for the worst

I used to love my job, then favoritism was brought in and everyone kept hiring people they know and would give other people opportunities. Ruined the work environment. It seems like everyone is related to everyone or were friends before VCH on every floor and unit. plus, after a while, there is no more room to grow. The benefits aren't even that great. My husband works in a bank and his benefits are better (95% coverage) and costs less.

Pros

lots of places to work

Cons

management, low pay raise, bad benefits plan, hostile work environments.

Needs improvement

Issues with organization culture, I'd almost go so far as to say toxic. Huge disconnect between directors and management and the front line staff. Healthcare is hard, there is not a lot of spare money or time, but improved leadership and management could help make the most of what is available.

Stressful enviornment

very busy offices I definitely have learned to multitask as management believes one person can perform duties that would normal take two people. Workplace can be negative as management is unable to deal with staffing issues adequately. Met a few great staff members Dealing with the public.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Stressful work environment

management was good easy to talk to

management was good easy to talk to , with any job there was up and downs...but hey i worked there for a long time , i was a porter in various departments main hospital , xray , CT . by far my favorite job was the x-ray porter , got to deal with patients nurses and doctors , i loved my ED nurses and doctors ,

Pros

communication

Cons

higachy

productive

All employees makes the place of work more enjoyable . Vancouver Coastal Health has good management good work culture.The place where I am working have good environment. I learned to be compassionate with every body.and team work culture is there.all employees working there are helping hands to each other.I did not have hard time while working there.

live work place and guided suppport

excellent company with efficient management skills. great place to learn and enhance life and work skills. work ambiance is good along with the good work culture.

Pros

free snacks and teas

Cons

favourism

Not good for someone who wants job security.

Don't become their employee if you have a disability or get sick often because they will find any way to fire you. They will persecute you and interrogate you on your illness. Then they will fire you instead of supporting you to go on disability. Work for someone else!!!

challenging management

experience with the practice support program is perhaps not indicative of VCH as a whole. many challenges with management in this particular office, which is ultimately why i left VCH

I love the people

I love the people I work with, they are dedicated to supporting our community health objectives. I get a lot of satisfaction from working with our multidisciplinary team. Seeing health care from other health professional's viewpoints helps me to improve my practice. The issue arise due to the size of the organization. The frontline workers needs are often neglected by management because they are so far removed from our work situations. We need more support from management to meet our personal needs. We work with difficult populations and sometimes suffer greatly personally due to the atrocities we encounter. That added to our own personal life issues, brings addition of stress to our lives. We are often not supported in taking care of our own needs. It is a shame when we need time to look after our own families we are confronted by obstacles. Often we are denied time off which is ironic when we are caring for other peoples families in our work. I have worked for VCH for so many years because of the satisfaction I get from the clients and my colleagues, I wish I could feel more supported from the managers.

Pros

the people in which I work

Cons

home life not supported

Poor

I came back from maternity leave to find out that i am getting laid off just because my job description was "changing". its a revolving door new managers come fire old assistants and find new ones.

benefits

Cons

micro management, lack of communication, lack of support for women and their children.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement