Vancouver Coastal Health

Canada186 reviews

Clear

vancouvercoastalhealthsupporthospitalorganizationteamcommunity

meh

management could be better. staffing could be better. some support for new grads. various paid educational opportunities offered. dedicated new grad support.

Pros

educational opportunities

Cons

long hours, inadequate staffing

Not the best culture

Management & Senior Executive teams do not care about retaining staff. They are so inflexible & always want you to work in the office so they can micromanage you. They talk about DEI but it’s all for show because they don’t walk the walk (just talk the talk). I’ve worked here for over 10 years and enough is enough!

Insights into Vancouver Coastal Health

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Collaborative team with open communication

It was an overall positive experience with supportive staff and management. There were team-building activities and periodical training. Management was responsive and life-work balance was encouraged.

Never enough staff. Management is grossly incompetent.

There never seems to be enough money in the budget for actual ataff on the floor. But the well never seems to run dry when hiring more management. This organization is way too top heavy.

Fast pasted work environment.

Good co workers but bad management. Pay is low for the amount of stress you work under. Must be able to multi task. Always working short staffed. Benefits could be better.

Terrible Leadership and Management! Top down culture.

Wow! I truly have no words after completing a contract at the Corporate office. I’m an RN sing the folks up top are wildly out of touch with the realities of the front line. The organization values quantity over quality of work and you feel like you are spinning in a hamster wheel of meetings and working groups and committees without actually having space to reflect, research, talk to experts etc. It’s bureaucracy and risk management at its true finest and I felt totally unsupported. I

Pros

Fine pay, great clinicians, some great admin and management

Cons

No work boundaries respected, Top down leadership and micromanaging, unsupportive of mental health

Lots of opportunities for continued education from the Union. Great extended health benefits.

Required to be at work for more than 8 hours, but paid for 7.5 hours. Management is great and always approachable. Staff very supportive of each other.

Front line staff are not valued

Very stressful and a lot of work place bullying. Management is terrible and they do not care about the patients. Low opportunities for advancement. Resistance to positive change. Blatantly discriminatory culture.

Nice place to be employed

Awesome company. Great house. Management is very good. Great team work. They work with you and are very understanding if you need time off. Coworkers are also very understanding

Pros

Great hours. Great team work

Cons

Can be hectic at times but very doable

Nurse work

Hardest part of job is handling the increasing workload and commute. Other coworker's are nice and get along well. Managers tend to focus on profit vs patient care

Not Great for Newcomers

Workload is insane for the low pay. Minimum 5 ventilated patients in ICU for example, but could go up to 8. Paper charting, taking ABGs after every small vent change. Most coworkers were nice but some just treat you as if you're beneath them. My orienteer would sometimes laugh condescendingly when I made mistakes and assumed I was deliberately ignoring patients when I forgot a task. Management can easily come off as insensitive with their attitude or word choice. They will also have a "mistakes list" filed on you in secret when starting. It not only compiles serious infractions, but minor errors like going for lunch an hour late (they do not bother asking you to explain the situation). If this list grows sufficiently large it will be brought up in front of all the charge RTs and union, and you'll be quizzed in all future shifts. You'd better be able to answer these questions or you're at serious risk of termination. This questioning makes up a bulk of the "support" they promise you if you need it. They really want to emphasize how much they support you but they make up their mind about you pretty early on, and I suspect they only emphasize it due to the union getting on their case about all the RTs who have quit/been fired in the past year.

Pros

The city itself, and some staff are very nice.

Cons

Curt management, low pay, hectic work environment with little room for error.

Extremely demanding work /standards: management suffers from critical flaws

Very important /keenly needed work assisting/ supporting elderly & vulnerable people to stay safe & healthy in their own homes. Health team support /back-up essential but, unfortunately, often delayed or unavailable—due to insufficient staffing levels (shortage of LPN nurses /skilled, properly-trained front-line workers. Unionized work environment is a major positive factor. Critical flaw/ important deficiencies in management: as agents of a key branch of BC Ministry of Health, IMHO making VCH appear squeaky-clean publicly & on social media (organizational politics)—sometimes translates as disrespectful, quietly-abusive treatment of front-line workers.

Pros

Well-funded (BC tax dollars), high standards of care, fulfilling meaningful work

Cons

Frequently insufficient hours of home care available to clients

Awful

Working here was ok at the beginning. Work environment was toxic and unhealthy. Some management were very good and some were not. Some employees were treated unfairly.

Great work environment

Absolutely fabulous place to work. Even though I was on a temporary contract I was fully supported in my role by management. Great opportunities for learning and advancement.I would highly reccomend them as an employer.

Pros

Experienced dedicated managers

Cons

It was only a temporary contract

Terrible management and educators

Managers don't care about how badly the budget cuts effect their employees. Since I started, they have added many more responsibilities on to my job role without appreciation or compensation. Their attitude towards employees is that we are disposable and that we are expected to comply without having any say in what is an appropriate and reasonable amount of work. Many people end up with injuries because there is not enough time to do things properly. Everything is rushed to try and finish the work that multiple people should be handling.

Pros

job security

Cons

extremely stressful

Has its ups and downs

The day is often stressful, but that is what it is like working in Mental Health. However, management has not been making good decisions lately, and the workplace culture is filled with bullying. If it weren't what I wanted to do for my future, I would have left a long time ago. Recently, budget cuts have harmed so many!

Pros

Some awesome co-workers

Cons

Long hours and little value

Do not work on ortho/trauma

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.

Managers of larger residential care homes do not consult with frontline staff

Front line staff are great; helpful, friendly and respectful. However management often bullies staff and are off-hand and rude to staff when families or residents are not around. Management sometimes lacking in ability to communicate plans, and do not consult with staff regarding any upcoming changes they wish to make, which is very disappointing and can inadvertently lead to feeling of your opinion does not matter.

Pros

Positive environment when management not interfering

Cons

Management tends towards bullying

Some great staff and coworkers. Management not so much.

I worked for Vancouver coastal for 35 yrs. Management comes and goes. Many long time management were treated poorly as well as.On a positive note there was much more atonomy for staff nurses to go about their work with out being followed by superiors micromanaging. Senior staff are often treated poorly and many retired early as a result. Working with some fantastic staff made things better.

Pros

Excellent co workers

Cons

Chronic fatigue and turnover. Of staff

Its okay

Management was not great and didn't give you the support needed. If you had an issue with something, they wouldn't even be listening to your problems. Also, most management are friends and will do everything possible to stab you in the back

Pros

Medical benefits

Cons

No support needed, short staffed

fun workplace.... great coworkers

it's a great place to work and make friends... management supports you. There is training provided.... and you have the support of your co-workers well. we are Unionized... our benefits and wages are pretty good

Pros

allowed to currently work from home

Cons

6am starts take some getting used to.. in the winter... parking is expensive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement