Vancouver Coastal Health logo
Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.5Job security & advancement

I loved working for VCH and wanted to stay for ever but denied permanent residency which was very sad, was really ambitious and the company was just right, it was one of the best employments in my career. I miss that environment, very friendly people.

Official response from Vancouver Coastal Health

8 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Kind regards.

Used to be a great place to work before management changed for the worst

I used to love my job, then favoritism was brought in and everyone kept hiring people they know and would give other people opportunities. Ruined the work environment. It seems like everyone is related to everyone or were friends before VCH on every floor and unit. plus, after a while, there is no more room to grow. The benefits aren't even that great. My husband works in a bank and his benefits are better (95% coverage) and costs less.

Pros

lots of places to work

Cons

management, low pay raise, bad benefits plan, hostile work environments.

Large organization with a small office feel

I really enjoy working and collaborating with my co-workers on a daily basis. Although VCH is a large organization, our office still maintains a small community feel, which makes coming to more enjoyable! VCH promotes a great work-life balance and provides awesome benefits :)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, co-workers

Great work environment and co-workers

Fantastic place to work. Lots of work available for staff. Only problem is that the organization is quite hierarchical, which creates a lengthy approval process.

Pros

Benefits, co-workers, culture

Cons

Approval process, slow to make decisions

Great Starter Place

I enjoyed the health background; you had a lot to learn and a lot of challenges to understand. Very busy but also very rewarding and challenging. Lots of variety.

Pros

Good Organization, flexible hours

Cons

Medical System can be difficult at times.

Great learning environment

I have enjoyed my time working for this company in the last 10 years. Working environment is comfortable and employees do their work effectively. I've learned to be vocal about my needs and wants.

Great staff

Nice place to work with great nurses. Good stepping stone for further career development. Happy with where it has lead me, but excited to see what's next in my career

live work place and guided suppport

excellent company with efficient management skills. great place to learn and enhance life and work skills. work ambiance is good along with the good work culture.

Pros

free snacks and teas

Cons

favourism

Not good for someone who wants job security.

Don't become their employee if you have a disability or get sick often because they will find any way to fire you. They will persecute you and interrogate you on your illness. Then they will fire you instead of supporting you to go on disability. Work for someone else!!!

A great place to work if you're in the right atmosphere

I enjoy working where I do. I like that I have long-term job security, but my salary is not adequate enough to live comfortably in the Lower Mainland.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Not enough pay

Jobs at Vancouver Coastal Health

See more jobs

challenging management

experience with the practice support program is perhaps not indicative of VCH as a whole. many challenges with management in this particular office, which is ultimately why i left VCH

Poor

I came back from maternity leave to find out that i am getting laid off just because my job description was "changing". its a revolving door new managers come fire old assistants and find new ones.

benefits

Cons

micro management, lack of communication, lack of support for women and their children.

First step towards something better

This is the proverbial foot in the door. Although you may not be assured another position next summer if you go above and beyond what is expected of you then you can be sure you will be remembered and they will make an effort to find something for you to do.

Pros

great pay

Cons

only for the summer usually

Great People

I work with amazing people, including a clinical supervisor who encourages professional development, a work-life balance, and autonomy.

Allowed to be autonomous in work

As a Clinical Educator I was able to work within a multdisciplinary team while still be able to carry out my work independantly.

fun working

worked at 2 hospitals as an admin assistant. hard to get a full time position co-workers were great at 2 locations I worked

Pros

good working hours

Cons

hard to get full time positions

Very good place to work

It's a busy place and I enjoy working there. It can be trying but that is part of life's experiences especially in a hospital and working in the float pool where I go everywhere, I see a lot of different situations. It has been good for the most part

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Very long hours or work week

Professionalism

All employees including management work together respectfully to maintain a highly professional workplace for both staff and patients. My Co-workers are very approachable and are eager to offer their experience and knowledge.

Both good and bad

Worked with some fantastic people. Great place to work when you have the right leadership. Satisfying to know you are making a difference to patients. Not a great work environment if leadership not supportive or not in touch with what is happening in day-to-day service delivery. It is very hard to see staff who feel unsupported or uncertain about future.

Pros

Some people fantastic to work with. Good benefits package.

Cons

Work environment is not always good.

Good place to work, great colleagues, never boring

The health care industry is always changing and growing and at times can be challenging. My co-workers are great, and caring about the people that they look after. Like any large organization there are pros and cons.

Advancement

Excellent place to work with room for advancement and exposure to many different areas/departments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement