Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Job security & advancement reviews

I loved working for VCH and wanted to stay for ever but denied permanent residency which was very sad, was really ambitious and the company was just right, it was one of the best employments in my career. I miss that environment, very friendly people.
Official response from Vancouver Coastal Health
8 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Kind regards.
Managers don't care about how badly the budget cuts effect their employees. Since I started, they have added many more responsibilities on to my job role without appreciation or compensation. Their attitude towards employees is that we are disposable and that we are expected to comply without having any say in what is an appropriate and reasonable amount of work. Many people end up with injuries because there is not enough time to do things properly. Everything is rushed to try and finish the work that multiple people should be handling.
Pros
job security
Cons
extremely stressful
There are many stressful elements to Emergency Nursing and I always feel supported in my position there. There are amble opportunities for education, advancement and collaboration.
it was a clinical placement i enjoyed it was a far commute for me so I dont know if I will apply for a job there or not. a good experience over all. good learning
I highly recommend VCH. They are very supportive for new hired employees. The culture is very welcoming and there's always room for growth and opportunities.
VCH has changed over the years I was employed there. Many opportunities for learning are there for staff. Management varied but, for most part was open and collaborative.
It's hard to get your initial job with VCH, but once you do, there is lots of room to grow and for internal transfers so that you can find a job that is the best fit for your interests and skill set. Unfortunately, job security can be double edged in that some of your co-workers and manager may be out paced by their current role and responsibilities, and are not meeting the challenge as well as some others might. It's unfortunate that despite the innovation that occurs, many of my coworkers are burnt out and jaded working for the health authority, but the money and benefits are good so they are reluctant to give up their position.
Great first learning experience for inpatient psych care. Able to secure full time employment and management supportive every step of the way. Morale was great on the unit.
busy environment, day goes by fast, with multitask abilities is highly recommended, Great team support and supervisor support. Stable job security Great benefits
We attempt to develop and strengthen a community that is typically stigmatized negatively and assist them with whatever needs we can offer immediately.
Public sector so very little in the way of compensation. Unless it is a union position it is a precarious environment. Middle management heavy with a culture of do as little as possible and never take a risk.
Pros
Good work / life balance
Cons
Lots of dead end positions
Interesting projects and great benefits. Opportunities for growth with new projects. Only downside is the salary freezes that are sometimes implemented.
Benefits
Cons
Salary limits
Learn basic skills as a health social worker. There is little room for growth, however, seeing as there are about 100 social workers and only two supervisors. No funding for professional development.
Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare. Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves. Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged. Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them. Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic. You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.
Pros
union protected
Cons
very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation
Working with VCH gave me a greater understanding towards assisting patient care. It gave me a general of how the system works in the hospital. I felt that there are a decent amount of opporunities toward workers who work in the industry a lot longer vs those who are very new to the company. I have been experiencing a lot of drama lately and coworkers talking behind each others back....
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Toxic coworkers with bad habits
Arrive to work on-time and leave on-time. A fantastic vacation package consisting of 4-weeks to start, and fully paid benefits (deductibles present for most services). The workplace culture is poor. Management understands this is a problem however not much is done to rectify the issue. Management stated room for growth and advancement opportunities during interview process, however once you are on-board, opportunities are few and far between and given based on seniority (even in excluded environments).
I started as a casual float employee at VGH and have had almost no drama at work. Majority of the people I have worked with have ranged from either pleasant to enjoyable. The work load varies from very light to very busy and most days feel quite fulfilling in terms of feeling valued and needed. The hardest part is witnessing the loss of loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job is being surrounded by people you are happy to see every shift you work, the stories you share and the friendships you build, especially if you find the unit where you feel you most belong. The only set-back in terms or my position is that there is no real opportunity for job advancement.
Very fun to work at! It is an engaging environment and my managers were very helpful. It is a valuable opportunity to work as a coop and full time. I really enjoyed the experience.
Very cooperative and considerate employees. Lots of learning opportunities. I enjoyed working in cross-functional teams with diverse backgrounds. Company culture allows lot of employee driven initiatives.
I have been working with VCH for only a few years now, and I don't have anything negative to say. They are a great company to work for, with lots of opportunities for advancement and education.
I used to love my job, then favoritism was brought in and everyone kept hiring people they know and would give other people opportunities. Ruined the work environment. It seems like everyone is related to everyone or were friends before VCH on every floor and unit. plus, after a while, there is no more room to grow. The benefits aren't even that great. My husband works in a bank and his benefits are better (95% coverage) and costs less.
Pros
lots of places to work
Cons
management, low pay raise, bad benefits plan, hostile work environments.