Vancouver Coastal Health

Canada186 reviews

Clear
3.5Job security & advancement

meh

management could be better. staffing could be better. some support for new grads. various paid educational opportunities offered. dedicated new grad support.

Pros

educational opportunities

Cons

long hours, inadequate staffing

Good salary, benefits, managers, admin support

Overall great experience compared to other health authorities. Primary care culture makes it hard to have good work-life balance. Managers in my area were very supportive and helpful

Insights into Vancouver Coastal Health

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Front line staff are not valued

Very stressful and a lot of work place bullying. Management is terrible and they do not care about the patients. Low opportunities for advancement. Resistance to positive change. Blatantly discriminatory culture.

Not Great for Newcomers

Workload is insane for the low pay. Minimum 5 ventilated patients in ICU for example, but could go up to 8. Paper charting, taking ABGs after every small vent change. Most coworkers were nice but some just treat you as if you're beneath them. My orienteer would sometimes laugh condescendingly when I made mistakes and assumed I was deliberately ignoring patients when I forgot a task. Management can easily come off as insensitive with their attitude or word choice. They will also have a "mistakes list" filed on you in secret when starting. It not only compiles serious infractions, but minor errors like going for lunch an hour late (they do not bother asking you to explain the situation). If this list grows sufficiently large it will be brought up in front of all the charge RTs and union, and you'll be quizzed in all future shifts. You'd better be able to answer these questions or you're at serious risk of termination. This questioning makes up a bulk of the "support" they promise you if you need it. They really want to emphasize how much they support you but they make up their mind about you pretty early on, and I suspect they only emphasize it due to the union getting on their case about all the RTs who have quit/been fired in the past year.

Pros

The city itself, and some staff are very nice.

Cons

Curt management, low pay, hectic work environment with little room for error.

Staffing

Staffing and morale are awful. Seem to be spinning the wheels but never changing anything. The simple answer is "that's the way it's always been" wrong answer

Great work environment

Absolutely fabulous place to work. Even though I was on a temporary contract I was fully supported in my role by management. Great opportunities for learning and advancement.I would highly reccomend them as an employer.

Pros

Experienced dedicated managers

Cons

It was only a temporary contract

Terrible management and educators

Managers don't care about how badly the budget cuts effect their employees. Since I started, they have added many more responsibilities on to my job role without appreciation or compensation. Their attitude towards employees is that we are disposable and that we are expected to comply without having any say in what is an appropriate and reasonable amount of work. Many people end up with injuries because there is not enough time to do things properly. Everything is rushed to try and finish the work that multiple people should be handling.

Pros

job security

Cons

extremely stressful

I loved working for VCH and wanted to stay for ever but denied permanent residency which was very sad, was really ambitious and the company was just right, it was one of the best employments in my career. I miss that environment, very friendly people.

Official response from Vancouver Coastal Health

8 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Kind regards.

Excellent Workplace

There are many stressful elements to Emergency Nursing and I always feel supported in my position there. There are amble opportunities for education, advancement and collaboration.

clinical

it was a clinical placement i enjoyed it was a far commute for me so I dont know if I will apply for a job there or not. a good experience over all. good learning

Very happy to be working for VCH

I highly recommend VCH. They are very supportive for new hired employees. The culture is very welcoming and there's always room for growth and opportunities.

Fast paced and collaborative

VCH has changed over the years I was employed there. Many opportunities for learning are there for staff. Management varied but, for most part was open and collaborative.

Requires individuals who are willing to put in the effort.

It's hard to get your initial job with VCH, but once you do, there is lots of room to grow and for internal transfers so that you can find a job that is the best fit for your interests and skill set. Unfortunately, job security can be double edged in that some of your co-workers and manager may be out paced by their current role and responsibilities, and are not meeting the challenge as well as some others might. It's unfortunate that despite the innovation that occurs, many of my coworkers are burnt out and jaded working for the health authority, but the money and benefits are good so they are reluctant to give up their position.

Great experience, collaborative team environment

Great first learning experience for inpatient psych care. Able to secure full time employment and management supportive every step of the way. Morale was great on the unit.

good team support and benefits

busy environment, day goes by fast, with multitask abilities is highly recommended, Great team support and supervisor support. Stable job security Great benefits

Fulfilling overall but no real room for advancing. Not for the faint of heart.

We attempt to develop and strengthen a community that is typically stigmatized negatively and assist them with whatever needs we can offer immediately.

Mixed Bag

Public sector so very little in the way of compensation. Unless it is a union position it is a precarious environment. Middle management heavy with a culture of do as little as possible and never take a risk.

Pros

Good work / life balance

Cons

Lots of dead end positions

Great opportunities and interesting projects

Interesting projects and great benefits. Opportunities for growth with new projects. Only downside is the salary freezes that are sometimes implemented.

Benefits

Cons

Salary limits

Good starting out job

Learn basic skills as a health social worker. There is little room for growth, however, seeing as there are about 100 social workers and only two supervisors. No funding for professional development.

Very poor management with no individual or team support

Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare. Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves. Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged. Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them. Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic. You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.

Pros

union protected

Cons

very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation

Working with VCH gave me a greater understanding towards assisting patient care. It gave me a general of how the system works in the hospital. I felt that there are a decent amount of opporunities toward workers who work in the industry a lot longer vs those who are very new to the company. I have been experiencing a lot of drama lately and coworkers talking behind each others back....

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Toxic coworkers with bad habits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement